• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Center mount turbo

Got me thinking now, hehe. What exhaust manifolds did you use? How much boost you get with the turbo and when does the boost come on? That down pipe 4in?

Van manifolds. Gated (externally) to 28psi. Cruising boost is around 3 to 3.5psi @ 2000rpm. By 1500rpm I can put it to the floor and lite it. By 2000rpm I can hit 20psi. 2500 hits 28psi and holds that up to 4500rpm.
Yes, 4inch downpipe... and 4inch the whole way back.

I need to get egt gauges and iat. I'm driving blind rite now. Come summer, I hope to get an air to air cooler on. But... we shall see.

Finally back on the road after realising my old injector pump head was junk. New head/rotor, new charge pump. Thanks to 6.2turbo for the hours on the fone, trying to get the bastard to run correctly. Everyone needs a friend like him close by!

Anyway, 1k miles as of today on the "new" engine. So far, impressive. The 6.2 struggled to keep the turbo lit. The 6.5 lites it easier, and keeps it lit much better.

Down on power due to dialing back the pump... (attempting to attain reliability/durability) Will see how long this lasts, I hate slow trucks!

I think I am gonna have to head on down your way to see this thing someday!! It has been a long time since I talked to you, are you still doing any work with modified camrings?

Oh and btw, I may be planning to imitate your set up with my own spin, starting to assemble the parts now :hihi:

You guys think a super 40 or HX40 would be alright with a similar set up? And I'm guessing I could use a T-4 base for a bit better air flow over the T-3.

I think I am gonna have to head on down your way to see this thing someday!! It has been a long time since I talked to you, are you still doing any work with modified camrings?

Oh and btw, I may be planning to imitate your set up with my own spin, starting to assemble the parts now :hihi:

The current pump has as close to stock camring as I could allow myself to run. No pump ever gets a completely stock one!

Just do us a favor: make your's look nicer. Mine looks kinda scabby. Next one should have a bit more "professional" look!

You guys think a super 40 or HX40 would be alright with a similar set up? And I'm guessing I could use a T-4 base for a bit better air flow over the T-3.

If going center mount, DEFINITELY use t4. If I had it to do over, I'd use a super40, s300, or similar size to the 40. The 55 is great, but it is huge wheels to get/keep turning.

I would opt for a pro40 also, I run a pro40/35 hybrid and it lights around 1500rpm and keeps going, 25psi is easy and comes in around 2000rpm's, has more air flow also..

Haha I will try to make it look good. I have a 6.2 motor that I got from a junkyard a year ago which I am going to use to mock it up so I can take my time and only have my truck down for a short time to install it. Speaking of that, 6.2 heads should have the same exhaust exit angle right? I know injector angle was a bit different but I would think the exhaust should be exactly the same.

The modified camring thing has always been in the back of my mind. Have you noticed any difference in power with them? I would like to do one eventually but I have other fuel issues to sort out first. My marine pump quits fueling hard at 2500 rpm for some reason. I am not happy with it so far.

6.2 heads have same exhaust outlet angle as 6.5, however, they do have bigger exhaust valves. May help spool? Don't know.

As far as camring, I probly lost 75hp going from highly modded to near stock. I lost 10mph in the 1/4 mile. Also lost alot of my topend power. It pulled HARD up to 4200rpm. Now is is lazy. But, it runs. I need a vehicle that runs for now. When I get another one going, I may put this one back on steroids again!

That much? Wow I really need to get moving on getting one modified. I will have to start talking to local machine shops. As far as modifications, did you just dish out the cavities in the ring to create a faster injection event?

I am just using the 6.2 for mock up purposes, some do have bigger valves but they are also more prone to cracking from what I have heard.

That much? Wow I really need to get moving on getting one modified. I will have to start talking to local machine shops. As far as modifications, did you just dish out the cavities in the ring to create a faster injection event?

I am just using the 6.2 for mock up purposes, some do have bigger valves but they are also more prone to cracking from what I have heard.

Took 2mm out of the "cavity", and ramped the injection event. My heavily modded one was almost too steep(could feel it external on the pump as it injected!), but it never knocked the cam-pin off, and the shoes didn't hit the ramp.

I didn't even think about the shoe hitting the ring thats a good point. Do you think a CNC machine could machine one of these rings?

I know you had mentioned before you thought it might increase fuel mileage, is that the case? Assuming you keep your foot out of it lol.

I was getting around 21mpg with the 6.2, and I haven't got a baseline for the 6.5 yet. Seems every little bit something happens to mess me up.

It does have 4.10 gears, and I have no idea how to drive conservatively!

Rite now it has a fuel leak. Kinda kills the mileage...

21 with 4:10's? Kinda makes me want to throw one into the 1/2 ton 94 gasser suburban! It has 3:42's.

I think. Maybe. Possibly... I could squeeze 22 out of it if I drove like a grandpa on a long trip. But I usually run out of patience on trips and just put it down and go.

The worst I ever got was 12. Had a bad batch of wmo. Ran 200mile with the speedo pegged, and gouging on it every so often to keep it cleaned out.

Back