• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Center mount turbo

265/75/16. Just a touch over stock. RPM doesn't change hardly. My dads truck is the exact same setup as mine except with 245's and we run the same RPM give or take 50-75 RPM.

Best I have gotten on the highway is 20, that was with a fuel leak and right after I rebuilt it so I was on and off the throttle the whole time to help break it in. I also have 4.10s and that was with the he351ve. I don't drive 70 though ha. I drive 60 on the highway. I also have 265s.

Last trip was to Pittsburgh, got 19.6 mpg with the 5" lift, same 265s and a hx52, and that was more city driving than I wanted it to be ha. I know I could get 22 probably if I ever stop leaking fuel and all highway.

Horrible eh? I'm lucky to see 12 with the 350. And that's highway!! Now you know why I'd really like to stuff the 6.2 into the burb.

During the summer I drive 70 miles roudtrip for work everyday and now in college I live 2 hours from home, and I don't drive around the city hardly any. I spend most of mine highway driving. It doesn't get terrible mileage in town. I probably average around 13-15mpg in town. I like having the 4.10's in town. I can get up to speed, put it on 5th and put around at 35mph. As long as I am pretty gentle on the throttle, it does just fine.

6.5L you are right about where I am, I do 15-16 in town. Winter it goes down to 14. My dad just got an LB7 a few months ago and it got 18-20 mixed, now its getting 15-18 loaded with tools around town, still pretty good.

Red you are right, my dads previous work truck was a CCLB 2500HD with the 8.1L. 8.5 mpg consistently loaded with tools, trailer or no trailer. I have never driven a truck with as much balls as that one though. The 8.1L is just a beast.

I am actually not a huge fan of the "new" 8.1L. For as big as they were and the mileage they got, I thought they should have had more power. Same with the V10s. I have never driven a powerful one. The Dodge ones arent bad, but the Ford V10's can't even get out of there own way and get about 9-10mpg. My dad has an 1981 Chevy with a 4 speed and a 454 big block. It is fast to begin with but when you stand on it and the secondaries open, you better hold on :)

I'm ok with that. Actually if you keep out of the throttle it doesn't get any worse mileage than a 350ci gasser.

yea thats how mine is, 454 bored 30 over with a couple other goodies. Place it in 2nd (4 speed manual) and dump the clutch, put the land yacht dually sideways WWWWAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY to easily hahaha. If the motor doesn't sell thinking of dropping it into a 67-72 reg cab for some hotrod fun :D

Ha I think we have derailed this thread, sorry!!

I can't say because I have never driven a 454 powered vehicle (although I think a BBC may be my next truck), IMO the 8.1L is strong. I think it is underrated. It has more power than my dads 04 lb7, stock for stock. Granted the 8.1 has 4.10s and the lb7 has 3.73s, but the Dmax is a little lighter.

Interesting thing emerging here. As it heads toward cooler weather here, my engine has issue holding temp. I thot the thermostat was bad so I replaced it with genuine ac/delco. No change. When I go down a hill, temp goes down. Go up a hill, and it climbs to thermostat opening point. Having a hard time getting 190 degree.
Seems all my heat is rolling out the tailpipe.

Back