• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Center mount turbo

The engine I plan to use was originally made by VM. They called it a turbotronic 638. Detroit took over manufacturing it, put it in a behring ld15, and called it a 638 detroit. Also referred to as a vm638, detroit ld15.
Inline 6, idi, individual aluminum heads, standard gm bellhousing. I had ran this engine before, converted it to mechanical injection, compount turbos, and made 70psi boost. Ran rite with a 525hp dodge that a friend of mine had. I took it off the road due to not being able to find a clutch heavy enough to harness it.
Now, I am currently making a flywheel to mate it to the 4l80e, and hoping to have it in and rolling down the road asap!

This one? 638 Ad (.pdf)

well, a interesting replacement for sure! cant say that its not a good idea, because it is a good idea. if its GM bellhousing, its like its meant to be! I bet it was at least mentioned as a Cummins fighting alternative at a GM meeting during the 6.5L era.

Most often you will find this engine with a sae1 bellhousing.
Ups ran these for a few years, 95 thru 98. That is where the gm bellhousing came from.
Interesting fact: it is a wet sleeved engine. The worst thing it has is the aluminum heads... they crack easily. Otherwise, very good tuff engine!

Will post pics when I get it in and going!

You should get phenomenal fuel mileage with that engine in stock form. Not quite as powerful as a 6.5, but should be easily tweekable to get you up to 300HP/600tq if that's what you want to do. I'd love to find a 53-series Detroit to drop in a 'Burb, either a 3-53 (we had those in our Gamma Goats and those buggers would FLY down the road) or a 4-53. Geared up tall enough, could get 28-30 mpg with the 'Burb on the highway.

I'll probly start a new thread just so you guys that are interested can keep up with how and what takes place with the "new" engine.
I'd like to keep this thread geared toward the center mounted 6.5 turbos.

One thing that I will be posting here is pics with me showing the measurements of the compressor and turbine wheels of my turbo. I know if I simply say what they measure, nobody will believe it. So, stay tuned for pics of how crazy I really am!

I will be using the turbo that is currently center mounted as the primary on the next engine...

Compressor inducer measurement...

2013-01-14_16-02-16_105.jpg

That is all for now.

Yes they worked. That van looks slower in the second video, maybe its me, other then that less smoke on the second video

Yes they worked. That van looks slower in the second video, maybe its me, other then that less smoke on the second video

I noticed that it seemed slower. But, according to the speedometer, we gained a few mph in the 1/4 mile, and gained alot of driveability.
Also, egt is lower. The up-pipes don't glow red anymore!

Back