• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Center mount turbo

Just checked. Several underhood pics. But only 1 of it on the stand. Don't want to show off my crappy workmanship too much!

Weird, nothing on my work computer but at home, they are there, :skep:

Interesting thing emerging here. As it heads toward cooler weather here, my engine has issue holding temp. I thot the thermostat was bad so I replaced it with genuine ac/delco. No change. When I go down a hill, temp goes down. Go up a hill, and it climbs to thermostat opening point. Having a hard time getting 190 degree.
Seems all my heat is rolling out the tailpipe.

Strange for sure, tried blocking the rad a bit?

On the note of fuel mileage... after a few days of town driving, I realise I'm in the lower teens. Seems big turbo doesn't like town runs. Hope highway numbers are better.

3000 mile oil change today. So far, so good. Hope it hangs with me better than the last engine. Trans may be an issue, as 3rd gear randomly slips when engaging.

Air. In the cooling system. Most likely cracked head. Saw some nasty lookin cracks when it was apart.
I hate to say it, but this will probly be the end of this truck's voyage with the 6.5 platform. Moving to a different flavor of idi.
Me and my brother will still be building several different centermount setups, and will still be messing around with the 6.x platform, just not with my truck anymore.

It's been a good ride, and I need to put a few more miles on the ol 6.5 before the next era emerges!

Not alot of air. But it is constant. Can hear it going thru the heater core too. I suspect cracked head simply because how bad it looked when I put it together, and the fact that I have studs, and o-rings. Not alot of chance for leak at the gasket.

well thats the whole deal with the optimizer. way better than anything GM gave us. With an Optimizer, you should be good to go as far as a much more reliable 6.5L.

I don't think he's going optimizer. He said "a different flavor of IDI", so I'd have to guess they're gonna shove a two stroke Detroit under the hood. A while back I saw a guy who did that very thing on you tube. It made a strange yet powerful sound, for a gm. Then again, the early 6.9 and 7.3's were IDI (I think), so who knows.

The engine I plan to use was originally made by VM. They called it a turbotronic 638. Detroit took over manufacturing it, put it in a behring ld15, and called it a 638 detroit. Also referred to as a vm638, detroit ld15.
Inline 6, idi, individual aluminum heads, standard gm bellhousing. I had ran this engine before, converted it to mechanical injection, compount turbos, and made 70psi boost. Ran rite with a 525hp dodge that a friend of mine had. I took it off the road due to not being able to find a clutch heavy enough to harness it.
Now, I am currently making a flywheel to mate it to the 4l80e, and hoping to have it in and rolling down the road asap!

Back