• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

You could try studs and nuts. Can’t remember the length and size (M6?) since they have worked well on mine for the past 11 years. Just had to insert the studs at the front after you’ve laid the pan down as the angle makes laying the pan on evenly a non-starter otherwise. Could always use the bolts ton the front though. Would ensure you don’t have interference with the HB…pretty tight clearances. Just a thought.

Well this afternoon I spent time digging though all my garage, storage shed and other various places looking for the oil pan bolts! I didn't put them all back when I set the pan back on the block and now somehow have misplaced 12 of the bolts! I did manage to find 6 others the right length and thread pattern. This will get me enough to fill it with oil and prime everything. it might seep some oil but it'll be good enough to run on the stand.

I can't believe I misplaced those bolts! I have the 6 I found plus about 4-5 that are holding the pan on. even if I have enough to hit every other hole that will work till I make a trip to the hardware store. if all works out the engine will get a full gasket refresh anyway.
That clearance between the HB and the nose og the cover/oil pan is barely visible.
Any gasket goop material that squishes out of the gap will rub on the HB.
I installed the Fluid Dampener onto the new engine and thats a mighty close fit.

That clearance between the HB and the nose og the cover/oil pan is barely visible.
I installed the Fluid Dampener onto the new engine and thats a mighty close fit.
Yeah, pan is close to the HB but, the bolts go in different from what I recalled in my morning fog. Was about to post that. While trying to find a picture of the studs I did discover why a shouldn’t post so soon after waking up having finally slept in past 3:30… I ‘remembered wrong’ the angles of the oil pan’s front bolts (and that I’d used bolt up there vs. studs).

Anyway, here ya go.
IMG_20221228_123543098_MP.jpeg

I was thinking about finding some studs and nuts for it. I think I have some slightly longer bolts I can use in the front going into the timing cover then fill as many holes in the block with the others I have. even if I am missing a few, I think it will be find to do a test fire on for now.

as for the oil line to the turbo, I think temporarily I will snip off the hose from the fittings since the hose is blown and clamp some rubber hose to it that will hold the pressure. again it's all temporary just to see how this engine is. if I can mock up the rubber hose and fittings like I want, I can then take it in and have one made at the local napa that I can use long term.

Well got all the bolts in that I had in my collection and only missing 4. I think that will be ok to fill and test. started messing with the oil feed line for the turbo. cut the hose off from the fittings by splitting the collars where it was crimped, installed the fitting that was on the block near the drivers manifold. I quickly realized why they had a union extension in the block on that port. the boss sticking out prevents you from getting a wrench on the fitting at the block. put the union extension on and cinched up the brass fittings, then fitted the hose ends on the block and on the turbo where I thought they would work best. I might pick up a 45 or 90 to put there, but I am thinking that with this extended out behind the manifold, it might make it easier to access when in the truck if I need to remove.

Looking at the hose fittings, I am curious if I would be able to get a compression fitting on there and it seal then run copper tubing along the block, across the valve cover or under the intake and over to the turbo eliminating the need for a flexible hose. if not, depending on what size this fitting is, I have a flare tool, maybe I can cut off the flare nuts and just make a complete line from copper tubing.

Here are some photos.
IMG_5555.jpg

IMG_5556.jpg

Well I have news... I ended up just clamping some fuel line on the fittings for the oil feed for the moment. I don't want to spend money on it yet till I know it will run and has potential.

connected and wired up a battery on the starter and cranked on it for a bit. it finally started building oil pressure. got up to 40 psi while cranking YAY!! I still have the old oil filter on it from when I got it and noticed it has a slight leak, a pin hole on the side. I have oil filters so I can fix that, I just didn't want to use one from my stash if I didn't have to. even used some old motor oil I had drained from my 95 truck just to try it. I do clean my drain pans when I change oil. Plus the pan will be coming back off getting new gaskets and I can clean anything out of the bottom end then.

Yeah I know I am gonna get bashed for that part, but I simply don't want to seemingly spend money or waste fresh oil on it if the engine is fubar.

it will get fresh oil and a filter once I know it's worthy.

Next I need to cobble up a fuel system and install the GP's once I know the IP will push fuel. then it will be fun time.... I already have my board ready to choke it just in case.

I'm leaving the turbo and intake installed so I can easily just cover the turbo inlet in the event it tries to run away. I figured that would be the easiest and best. Not sure how loud it will be since there is no down pipe or crossover pipe on the engine. I do recall starting my 95 up with the turbo removed and to my surprise it wasn't that loud as a gasser would have been.

Got the fuel supply and return plumbed up along with the inline shutoff solenoid connected. need to make a run to the store and fill a can with diesel. Then start priming the IP and see if it will push fuel to the injectors. the only thing I don't have with me is a spare LP to supply pressure to the IP yet. I think it should pull some from a jerry can, I do have a squeeze primer line plumbed in behind a fuel filter that I can use to push some fuel up to the IP. If I need I can run out to my buddy's house and grab my old LP that I cobbled up on an old generator trying to get it to run.

I have the engine secured on the stand but also have it hoisted up a tad with my A frame to help stabilize it. So it's not going anywhere.

IMG_5557.jpg
IMG_5558.jpg

Whoever picks on you for saving $ on an unknown engine can chip in $ for new oil & filter! Haha. No different than starting an engine that is in a truck you just bought- ya never really know how old the oil & filter in it is.

Done the same thing before- test on stand with cherry picker as backup. Hang a 1 gallon fuel can from the hoist without LP. It’ll work for test fire. I wouldn’t wanna run it an hour without the LP, but 10-15 minutes won’t kill it.

FYI, those front bolts on the lip of the oil pan aren't needed, the p400 doesn't use them, the holes are there but no threads, and if correct sealant is used no leaks...

Well I’ve been messing with it off and on this afternoon between doing other things. It’s cranking slowly due to my makeshift cables on it but with me cycling one GP at a time I’ve gotten it to bust off twice but as soon as it busts off it dies and a plume of black smoke appears. I’ve pulled all the GP’s back out and cranked it and all 8 holes are misting a good amount of fuel.

Funny thing is when I kill power to the inline solenoid it continues to mist fuel but slowly Peter’s off enough to tell it drastically lessens the fuel pushing through the injectors but never stops misting completely. This is scaring me thinking that it might be flooding fuel with the solenoid allowing fuel through the return line and just lessening it as the solenoid blocks off the return.

Yeah I’m being chicken here about it running away!!

They two times it did bust off it sounded good, no knocking. But my gut says it’s trying to start at full throttle then dies maybe a second after I left off the starter.

Maybe one of y’all can help me confirm this.

I went ahead and ordered a new solenoid for it. I'm chicken and don't feel right going further without a definite way of shutting off the IP. engine sounded good the spit second it ran and don't want it to be my doings that grenades it sending shrapnel into the neighbors yardLOL

Back