• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

This is the one I use. it punctures the side of the can. it's the old way of charging with cans back when R-12 used the suicide can tap. They changed to a side puncture style which works much better so long as the rubber seal stays in place! when using this one I always make sure I'm not about to pierce the can right on the seam though. for me it's my mind trying to be safe LOL.

1727788007254.png

here's a photo of the old one that always blew off the can causing injuries and frost bite.
1727787908339.png

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is the one I use. it punctures the side of the can. it's the old way of charging with cans back when R-12 used the suicide can tap. They changed to a side puncture style which works much better so long as the rubber seal stays in place! when using this one I always make sure I'm not about to pierce the can right on the seam though. for me it's my mind trying to be safe LOL.

View attachment 89932

here's a photo of the old one that always blew off the can causing injuries and frost bite.
View attachment 89931
I will get one of those side can taps on its way.
The old Oldsmobile is a R12 refrigerant unit.
Vicki took it in to get the AC charged up and He converted it to 134.
Hope it can be converted back.
The compressor seal is leaking so a new pump, or, seal and clutch shiuld be installed before going any farther.

I have used the suicide versions afore. Still have one hanging round here someplace. 😹😹😹

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you don't mind flammable gas, the envirosafe performs much better. the only drawback is the pressures are so low that you need an adjustable low pressure cycle switch. for my 93 I can still get them as the accumulator still uses the old R12 SAE thread. on the newer trucks, the pressure switches are metric and I have not been able to find a pressure switch that can be set to a lower cut-off pressure. around 15-18psi is needed vs the standard 22. our trucks use a clutch cycle switch with pressures set to on at 40psi off at 22psi

the older square body trucks all had "adjustable" switches. there is a tiny screw head between the contact pins that you can adjust on them

If I am going to convert one to envirosafe, I like to charge it with ether 134a or 152A and run it a while making sure there isn't any leaks or underlying issues before going flammable routes.

Back