• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Marty we probably have a good shot of the heads being good on the old 506 engine. It never overheated.

Marty, if you do order a new engine, save on your old block! they are hard to find without cracks the 6.2 I have is cracked. the 93 is unknown but has a 99 engine. and my 95... well even if it's not cracked there, the starter mount point is cracked LOL

I am curious though on your block about bore measurements if the wear is worth having bored. wonder if it's within tolerance to just have it honed and re-ringed pistons even coated pistons from Chris with gapless rings. iirc he mentioned that coating the pistons would bring a slightly worn engine back to life with some gapless rings. how much blowby did it have if any?

if BigT's old heads are good you might have enough goods to build on your block and make a sound engine
Yup. The old engine is not going anywhere.
I did not ream the ridge from the top of the cylinders. I was able to wiggle the pistons and press them on through the ridge.
The top spot where the Pistons stop, there is a visible place where the rings stop then start their downward travel.
Yeah, i am hoping that the heads from Your 506 will be in good condition and be able to be used.
I would very much like to go ahead and build this engine regardless that I most likely will never be around long enough to wear out this Optimizer thats on its way over. 🤷😹😹😹

I do have a set of the long feeler gauges from 0.0015 on up to 0.040.
I’m interested in, after removing the rings from the pistons, then lay in with the feeler gauges and just gauge what there is for clearance between piston and cylinder walls.
Too tired to poke around with it right now. Probably after I get the truck back together and have a little shop room. While working over that 74 Triumph Triple cylinder motorcicle enjun.😹

Back