• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I hope the 6.5L fleet does not revolt....

Dex cool had nothing to do with the head gasket problems with the duramax. I have no problems with dex cool, I personnaly run zerex brand mixxed with distilled eater in mine. For stats like I posted earlier, ac delco/oem(they will come in a box from isuzu marked made in japan, and rock auto has them, just make sure to use the more expensive oem ac's as they offer both oem and aftermarket crap ones), or mishimoto. The compressor issue was with the r6 compressor that gm stopped using in 02. You will also need the o-ring that goes on the water outlet tube when doing the stats.

The OEM stats from RA are the right ones. It's very easy to do with the AC compressor in place. I have had no problems using good quality Dex coolant. I've been using Shell brand the last couple of changes.

Take the oil fill out, and the t stat housing slides right out the front. No reason to even take the belt loose. Don't know why the book says to pull the compressor when taking oil fill off and stuffing a rag in the hole is so much easier.

Take the oil fill out, and the t stat housing slides right out the front. No reason to even take the belt loose. Don't know why the book says to pull the compressor when taking oil fill off and stuffing a rag in the hole is so much easier.
That's how it worked for me.

Actually Mobil is GM's factory fill transynd.

There was a thread on that a while back.
GM doesn't use TRANSYND in any automatic(they only use there dex vi crap), and the last zf6 rolled out in 06 long before transynd was even around, so I don't see how GM ever factory filled anything with transynd. They still use dex 3(they sell it as manual trans fluid now) or syncromesh in most all the manual trans that I know of as well. Would be interested to see this thread. I've been wrong before, so who knows(unless you ask my wife, then I'm never right).

Let me rephrase.

GM sells a tes295 fluid, its jug and labeling very closely resemble Mobil Delvac jugs and labels. Mobil Delvac claims a proper rating for Allison spec trans fluid.

Sorry I said it was factory fill, I should know better or I'd get thrown in the fire and roasted.

Mobil delvac IS tes-295 fluid, so it's the same as TRANSYND, AND it's approved for extended drain intervals in the ALLISON.

I may need to take the truck to GM to have them find out which actuator in the HVAC is bad, and was wondering what else I should have them look at as far as motor health while its hooked up?

Injector balance rates (get the numbers from them not just an OK) same for idle rail psi (actual and commanded)

Ferm would know more but I know I was tracking down a lope on my 06 with those #'s

Balance rates are not always what is displayed on the scanner either. Heres a write up I did on how to check actual, not jsut displayed balance rates. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/proper-way-to-check-balance-rates.41579/ Also need to watch rail pressure, actual VS desired, and see how much actual fluctuates(should stay within 400 PSI or so of actual VS desired) It also helps out ALOT of you have a bidirectional scanner so ypou can command rail pressure up to 160 MPA. This will give you a glimpse as to fuel system health, if you have a high return rate issue, injectors going south, or failing CP3. Engine temps should run 180-190 running 55-70 down the road empty. If teh truck is VGT equipped, you want to keep track of actual VS desired vein position. This lets you know if the turbo is keeping up, and can also let you in on a failing vein position sensor if the position sticks or hangs in spots, or if the position runs really high, then the turbo is probably not keeping up really well. Also need a quality scanner so you can access TCM codes as many code readers and even high dollar scanners will only read the ECM and not the TCM.

What does a guy need to pack in a "parts box" for these?

Does a guy need to pack a water pump? Right now i am thinking spare fuel filter, a full set of the belt drive (2 idlers and a tensioner and a Gates Fleetrunner belt) a WIF sensor, WIF sensor wrench (scored a new Lisle one at a warehouse store in SLC for like 2.50) and maybe a vane position sensor?

Probably need to pack 3 u-joints and a carrier bearing too. install all 3 whenever 1 gets iffy.

Anything else?

WIF is pretty much useless. I put a plug in mine long ago. Carry a filter wrench with you. You should have a belt with but if you keep the inner shroud don't plan on changing it on the side of a road. My shroud has been hanging on the shop wall for a couple hundred thousand or so. They are pretty reliable so the other stuff isn't really needed on hand.

So the vane position sensors are reliable enough I should not worry about carrying one?

The u-joints are OEM Spicers and I dont feel any vibration, but with oilfield use I am concerned one or more has contamination. but, any parts store on the road should have one on hand, they seem to be pretty common.

As far as the WP, does about every GM dealer have at least one in stock? I know I wont be able to change it on the road, but am concerned about availability of quality parts. I dont want to hire an autozone one installed. :)

Most dealers normall get water pumps in pretty quick. Most ac delco parts houses have them, so you might be able to pick one up from an oreillys.

Back