• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Center mount turbo

Ats has some of the poorest design transmissions ever. Personal experience.
ats has some of the highest priced turbos ever... can get better ones elsewhere for much less.
Ats has some of the highest failure rates on their parts in the industry... and one of the worst warranty departments EVER.

So... will I disgrace my trucks with ats parts? NO. Not when I can have better parts for less $$$... and from reputable companies that stand behind their product 100%.

I have heard of ats billet shafts breaking.

I have too. On 10 second drag trucks doing 12mph lockups.

Ats has some of the poorest design transmissions ever. Personal experience.
ats has some of the highest priced turbos ever... can get better ones elsewhere for much less.
Ats has some of the highest failure rates on their parts in the industry... and one of the worst warranty departments EVER.

So... will I disgrace my trucks with ats parts? NO. Not when I can have better parts for less $$$... and from reputable companies that stand behind their product 100%.

You going to back up those claims with proof? ATS is also one of the biggest companies in the industry, they ship out 15 trannies a day... you are bound to get a bad tranny here and there. Does it mean its right? No, but it happens.

Tell me of these better turbos you can get for cheaper? I'm curious....

Back up your claims if you are going to bash them that hard.

You going to back up those claims with proof? ATS is also one of the biggest companies in the industry, they ship out 15 trannies a day... you are bound to get a bad tranny here and there. Does it mean its right? No, but it happens.

Tell me of these better turbos you can get for cheaper? I'm curious....

Back up your claims if you are going to bash them that hard.

I don't have the time to do your research for you. Nor will I give out the names of my turbo suppliers.

I don't have the time to do your research for you. Nor will I give out the names of my turbo suppliers.

So you're just another mouth breather spouting off about things you heard. Why would you need to research? You said you have personal experience.

So.... what makes ats so special? The purple paint???????

As for trannies.... they just sell a good product.... so does companies like Suncoast. ATS R&D's and manufactures most of the parts in house. Steels, controllers, torque converters... and have shafts and cast parts made locally to their spec. 5yr/500,000 mile warranty.

As for torque converters... I can confidently say that the 5-star is hands down the best converter on the market.

Also, I won't name them, but their are many companies in the market that use companies like ATS and Suncoast's products, and assemble the tranny in house, and call it their own.

As for trannies.... they just sell a good product.... so does companies like Suncoast. ATS R&D's and manufactures most of the parts in house. Steels, controllers, torque converters... and have shafts and cast parts made locally to their spec. 5yr/500,000 mile warranty.

As for torque converters... I can confidently say that the 5-star is hands down the best converter on the market.

Also, I won't name them, but their are many companies in the market that use companies like ATS and Suncoast's products, and assemble the tranny in house, and call it their own.

ATS has had MORE than there fair share of delaminated clutches, failed torque converters, and on and on over the last 3 years that I have seen on the forums and at the track. ATS charges alot and does alot of advertising, but there products are nothing super special compared to many others out there. Don't buy into everything you read in these diesel magazines where a manufacturer has paid for the ads and articles.

Lmao at the warranty claim ...... i have seen many of there trans fail but they would never stand behind there product. As far as converters, how many different brands have you run? If you like their stuff, run it. But for me, I've seen too many failures an no warranty ever ..... that alone would scare me off. In today's market, advertising is key! It seems way to common for companies to exaggerate things just to sell a product. And I'm not just talking about ats.

ATS has had MORE than there fair share of delaminated clutches, failed torque converters, and on and on over the last 3 years that I have seen on the forums and at the track. ATS charges alot and does alot of advertising, but there products are nothing super special compared to many others out there. Don't buy into everything you read in these diesel magazines where a manufacturer has paid for the ads and articles.

You are in suncoast country, by default you are obligated to hate ats :p

Seriously though, I've been out to ATS and its a top notch operation. As I said though, they sell more built trannies than any other company in the USA. They ship a lot of trannies out, and they have their trans behind a lot of high powered rigs. Of course you will see failure rates with higher frequency from a shop like that, then a baby shop like Suncoast, or your local builder.

They also ship out direct to the customers, so install is in the customers hands, and there are many things that can go wrong with that. If someone abuses, or does an improper install, why should a company stand behind it? I don't even own an ATS product, but I know some of the people over there... have seen their operation first hand, and have seen some of the parts that came in for warranty claim, that nobody in their right mind would warranty.

As for customer service... it certainly has been shaky not the last 3 years.. but the last 5+. Clint cleaned house, a lot of new guys in there in the last 2yrs.

the point wasn't that you should go buy an ATS trans because thats the only thing worth running. The point was buy any of your big name, built up automagics instead of trashing stock stuff.

You are in suncoast country, by default you are obligated to hate ats :p

Seriously though, I've been out to ATS and its a top notch operation. As I said though, they sell more built trannies than any other company in the USA. They ship a lot of trannies out, and they have their trans behind a lot of high powered rigs. Of course you will see failure rates with higher frequency from a shop like that, then a baby shop like Suncoast, or your local builder.

They also ship out direct to the customers, so install is in the customers hands, and there are many things that can go wrong with that. If someone abuses, or does an improper install, why should a company stand behind it? I don't even own an ATS product, but I know some of the people over there... have seen their operation first hand, and have seen some of the parts that came in for warranty claim, that nobody in their right mind would warranty.

As for customer service... it certainly has been shaky not the last 3 years.. but the last 5+. Clint cleaned house, a lot of new guys in there in the last 2yrs.

Baby shop like SUNCOAST? Wow, that's a first for me to hear somebody refer to SUNCOAST as a baby shop. And I may be in SUNCOAST country(less than 30 minutes from them right now), but I don't run there products either. I run a PRECISION converter from TN, and ALTO clutches(what SUNCOAST used to use). ATS builds some good products, but for how many they sell they have a HIGH failure rate.

the point wasn't that you should go buy an ATS trans because thats the only thing worth running. The point was buy any of your big name, built up automagics instead of trashing stock stuff.

Glad you made that clear! I agree with buying or building a trans an getting away from stock crap! In our experience here, the valvebody is the most important thing inside the transmission with the converter next!

I'm sure but the one I'm talking about was on
3500 dodge used for hauling cars and it wasn't running crazy power
And to boot no warranty. Waste of $6000

So he was hotshotting? How can you warranty a tranny when someone is admittedly towing more than the truck itself is rated to tow.

If they don't warranty a hotshot rig trans they need to quit trying to build transmissions!

Considering you said your buddy wasted $6,000, that tells me he didn't buy the suitable transmission to do the job anyways. Ever priced out a stage 6?

Don't blame ATS for your buddy being cheap, and trying to do MDT work with a LDT.

Considering you said your buddy wasted $6,000, that tells me he didn't buy the suitable transmission to do the job anyways. Ever priced out a stage 6?

Don't blame ATS for your buddy being cheap, and trying to do MDT work with a LDT.

Umm,fail... my transmission guy builds a stage 5 that he rates for towing with 500 hp!! For a lot less than 6,000. And he does not have failure rates like ats. Oh, and he does make good on his warranty! Towing and hi hp!

Back