• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Center mount turbo

Dropped trans pan. Big chunks of aluminum in the pan, and a seal stuck in the filter.

Called Jakes. They said this is common failure with transgo shift kit. Too harsh into 2nd breaks the sprag and the tabs on the trans. He said sometimes it even shatters the apply piston.
So I put the pan back on, and am gonna keep drivin till I find a trans.

NO MORE TRANSGO FOR ME!!

I set the intermediate clutches with very little clearance,maybe .010. This way it won't slam the case lugs so hard.

6.2 .. Do you still get yours to shift hard as if it does have a shift kit, and or what about the relief valve to keep pressure spikes from happening..?

LOL... I still want mine to shift as if it has an HD-2 kit... Sorry for the derail.

How do you like the center mount config vs. the old side saddle setup ..? Think the spooling is any faster or easier ? I was just peaking at some pics of a Buick Grand National and its turbo config. Also what are your thoughts on a S300 ??

Once I quit being lazy and finish my truck up, all or most bugs worked out, a buddy of mine want to see what a 6.5 will do with one.. LOL

LOL... I still want mine to shift as if it has an HD-2 kit... Sorry for the derail.

How do you like the center mount config vs. the old side saddle setup ..? Think the spooling is any faster or easier ? I was just peaking at some pics of a Buick Grand National and its turbo config. Also what are your thoughts on a S300 ??

Once I quit being lazy and finish my truck up, all or most bugs worked out, a buddy of mine want to see what a 6.5 will do with one.. LOL

The center mount is the ONLY way I will build 6.5 from now on. The faster spool, ease of changing glowplugs and injectors, and the added airflow of a true t4 mount turbo... nothing compares... except a duramax.

I kinda wish I had gone with a s300. I had considered it. But I has this hx55 layin there, and the s300 was gonna cost me. So naturally, I used what I had!
I can't gripe. I have great spool for such a large turbo.

On a smooth road it will easily chirp 2nd,and 3rd. I don't want the relief valve. Line psi stays at 210 psi all the time.

On a smooth road it will easily chirp 2nd,and 3rd. I don't want the relief valve. Line psi stays at 210 psi all the time.

Hope mine ain't like that when I'm done. Imagine a ton on the bed of my truck, and a trans that barks like that. YEE! I imagine more pieces...

The bigger turbo i put on my truck also killed the tranny, reason i had the hd2 kit installed

My transgo hd2 was causing hard shifts into second and would also chirp tires, it has smoothed out recently.

I can also drive normally,shift early,and the converter softens the shifts. Lockup shifts into third are brutal,at part throttle.

Very intrigued by this Cumminsfever... When I get bored, my gears start turning, kinda would like to see the outcome of yours with more fuel maybe an "DB2833" pump or a 4 plunger pump and then of course with maybe a T4 HX 40 and then a S300...

Makes me wonder if maybe one couldn't be knocking on 350 - 375+ rwhp numbers....

And 6.2, It wouldn't hurt my feelings if you built a 4l80e and shipped it to me......
:)

I'm noticing a trend here, maybe these automatics are up to par for these turbo diesels

I think we need to upgrade to 5 speeds

Very intrigued by this Cumminsfever... When I get bored, my gears start turning, kinda would like to see the outcome of yours with more fuel maybe an "DB2833" pump or a 4 plunger pump and then of course with maybe a T4 HX 40 and then a S300...

Makes me wonder if maybe one couldn't be knocking on 350 - 375+ rwhp numbers....

And 6.2, It wouldn't hurt my feelings if you built a 4l80e and shipped it to me......
:)

I was hoping to be able to switch out turbos. But... due to design, I can't get anything else on this setup. Hopefully our next one we will be able to make so it can have a variety of flavors bolted on and tested. This is a prototype. It works. But has a few design flaws.

I'll probly stick with the .29 plunger pump. It has internals that make me smile. And, what I have at the present time is about half of what it can do.

The 4l80E can handle a lot, but most of them have 200,000+ miles on them, and who know what former abuse. Hot rods put them in, but they dont tow stuff to get them really hot. And GM wasnt very nice about giving you good pressures for handling more power. A tuned tranny would be happier than a modded one. And then there are the later model versions that should hold up better.

Back