• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Center mount turbo

Cumminsfever, I almost dropped my phone when I saw your first illustration. I don't care, but that was hilarious! Ok, proceed.

And there went the trans...

Put a transgo hd2 shift kit in it before it went back together. At first it shifted like a dream. Now... mushy, no 2nd gear, and gets EXTREMELY hot. Have rite around 1000 miles on it at this point.

6.2turbo- TAKE YOUR GREMLINS BACK :) LOL

Does anyone know if a 4l80e from a 99 truck will work in my 94?

Yes, 99 will be direct replacement for 94. Although maybe in late 99 or 2000 they came out with a beefier 4L80E you may be interested in, but on those the cooler line ports may be in a different place. I dont know what all was different, solid transfer shafts, so you can keep TCC locked during shifts, ect...

Thanx Buddy. I was under the impression something was different. Now... to try and convince my friend to let me "borrow" his trans that is conveniently sitting at our shop :)

Either the sprag is slipping,or you popped the snapring,or worse,broke the lugs in the case. I also wouldn't reuse the Transgo plate,it will crossleak.

Either the sprag is slipping,or you popped the snapring,or worse,broke the lugs in the case. I also wouldn't reuse the Transgo plate,it will crossleak.

It goes into 2nd if I am lite throttle. Goes rite up thru the gears beautiful. But, when I get on it, it tries to hit 2nd, and immediately goes back to 1st.
When coming back down the gears (decel, lockup, engine braking) it goes rite into 2nd beautiful, and if I catch it in 2nd lockup, it will hold and work sweet.
Weirdness goin on. All of the gears are soft and mushy. Lockup shifts feel like normal unlock shift.
transgo sickness...

i sure i hope i dont have issues with my transgo2 kit, i just had it installed on my rebuilt tranny. i might be ok, im not running crazy turbos and fuel like you guys

And there went the trans...

Put a transgo hd2 shift kit in it before it went back together. At first it shifted like a dream. Now... mushy, no 2nd gear, and gets EXTREMELY hot. Have rite around 1000 miles on it at this point.

6.2turbo- TAKE YOUR GREMLINS BACK :) LOL

Does anyone know if a 4l80e from a 99 truck will work in my 94?

It will work, but you will need the adapter line or make new trans cooler lines to run it. In 97 GM changed from 5/16 to 3/8 cooler lines, and also went to what is known as the rear oiler where the cooler return goes to the rear of the trans case instead of up by the bellhousing. If it is a late 99 it will have the updates, but 99 was a changeover year so it could be the early standard 4L80E or the late 4l80E with the wider bands and solid input shaft. If you could find a 4L85E out of a late model HD or motorhome would be even better. They used a straighter cut planetary gear set to reduce loading of the cages under big power and heavy loads. Also you will most likely have to swap shift shafts out as 94 used a mechanical linkage I believe whereas 99 used a cable hook-up. And don't throw out your 94 core as they are hard to come by. They only work in 91-94's though as 95 added the NSBU switch to the trans, so newer trannies swap to older trucks, but 91-94's don't swap to 95+.

Yes, 99 will be direct replacement for 94. Although maybe in late 99 or 2000 they came out with a beefier 4L80E you may be interested in, but on those the cooler line ports may be in a different place. I dont know what all was different, solid transfer shafts, so you can keep TCC locked during shifts, ect...

Not quite a direct swap, see above.

So, are you guys not in favor of the HD-2 kit ??? I had good luck with mine in my 97 K2500 Burb, but it was the gas 5.7 / 4L80e

Theres nothing wrong with the HD-2 shift kit. It has held up nicely under some big loads. Unfortunately though it isn't a built trans, and teh kind of power some of these guys are putting through it is just overpowering the stock clutches even with the shift kit and increased line pressures. The torque converter seems to go first and take out the rest of the trans, and you have to pull the trans to do the converter so you might as well build it while it's out.

They might work fine up to a certain point. But if the tranny is apart you can dual feed the directs for free. This eliminates the Transgo triple stacked plate,that can crossleak.

Thanx fermanator!

6.2turbo- I will be callin you. Trans mods are NOT my thing.

I fully expected this engine to go boom by now. I have been doing alot of full throttle time on it. Guess these ol engines aren't as weak as people like to think...

Cumminsfever.. How much power would you estimate by the "ass dyno" ??

On a side note, maybe I'll take it easy on the 80e in my 93 until I have the spare goodwrench from my 97 burb gone through or find an 85e.

Cumminsfever.. How much power would you estimate by the "ass dyno" ??

On a side note, maybe I'll take it easy on the 80e in my 93 until I have the spare goodwrench from my 97 burb gone through or find an 85e.

In the 1/4 mile, I can get AT LEAST 5mph on a 08 duramax. Due to our weight difference, I would say I'm slightly over the 300hp.

Jorge- I did do the converter. Love that thing!

Back