• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Center mount turbo

Cumminsfever, is your hood a stocker? Think with a cowl hood you could pick up enough room to do a different turbo, or just give yourself a little more space?

Stock hood... and the turbo isn't even close to the hood. It's close to the wiper motor, and the back intake runner.

Notice my wastegate. Everything is hardlined for this turbo.

I may try a smaller compressor wheel.

Hey. Shouldn't you be driving down the road instead of posting here? :hello: :thumbsup:
Right now I'm sitting in a rest area! Wreck up ahead an it would take me 2 hours of idling at 5 mph so I'm parked till traffic clears! Wheres my big turbo? I have time to install it while i sit here an wait!

Currently hoping to get a timeslip this weekend at the 1/4 mile... IF I have a transmission that stays together. Obviously just "following instructions" doesn't keep a transmission together. Currently missing 3rd and 4th gear... after 150 miles of pure flawless performance.

Did I mention I never had a transmission apart before? I was suprised it worked at all! Now, I gotta sit down and study this thing, and figger it out, and MAKE it work!

Do you have a manual for it? Is it throwing any codes(or does your trans controller give codes)? Could be a shift solonoid since you just had it apart and said it needed rebuilt. Or p[ossibly just a sticking valve in th valve body from debris that got missed.

Do you have a manual for it? Is it throwing any codes(or does your trans controller give codes)? Could be a shift solonoid since you just had it apart and said it needed rebuilt. Or p[ossibly just a sticking valve in th valve body from debris that got missed.

I have the stock computer controlling shifts. I should hook up scanner and see just how unhappy it really is. But, being an obd1 truck, it isn't the smartest piece around.

I'm hoping it is simply a stuck valve. But... it seems somewhat false hope... as it is slipping in reverse. Not really a good sign.

I have the stock computer controlling shifts. I should hook up scanner and see just how unhappy it really is. But, being an obd1 truck, it isn't the smartest piece around.

I'm hoping it is simply a stuck valve. But... it seems somewhat false hope... as it is slipping in reverse. Not really a good sign.

Could be a problem with the pressure regulator valve then. It may not be giving full pressure rise in reverse which will make em slip. It needs about 200 PSI for reverse to fully engage properly(I believe 175 is the minumum for reverse) which is where the reverse boost valve comes in. And if the pressure valve is hanging or dropped out of it's bore, you could also lose 3rd and 4th.

Mike from Jake's called me back. Said sudden failure like this is usually a valvebody issue. So... down comes that.
also could be shift solenoids. Worst case scenario is a torn piston seal, and I'd hafta take the trans back out to replace that.
Yes, it irks me. But... at least I'm learning how the transmission works!!

Mike from Jake's called me back. Said sudden failure like this is usually a valvebody issue. So... down comes that.
also could be shift solenoids. Worst case scenario is a torn piston seal, and I'd hafta take the trans back out to replace that.
Yes, it irks me. But... at least I'm learning how the transmission works!!

Unfortunately, you only learn through failures(and hopefully not much carnage).

So EVERYTHING tests out ok. Ohms checks ok. And nothing is mechanically wrong (tested with shop air).
Don't help that it is a frying hot day...

Out of curiosity, do all center van/hummer mounts use the t4 or t4i mount? I don't know enough to tell if you used a factory mount or made this custom.

Thanks
Micky

Out of curiosity, do all center van/hummer mounts use the t4 or t4i mount? I don't know enough to tell if you used a factory mount or made this custom.

Thanks
Micky

It is my understanding that the van has a special exhaust housing on the stock turbo that the up-pipes clamp directly on to.

I made the complete mount. I went T4i because that is what my turbo has. Our next one will be standard t4.

can we see some pics of how you built it? I'm curious as to how you did the manifolds and up pipes?

can we see some pics of how you built it? I'm curious as to how you did the manifolds and up pipes?

Ever seen a duramax with a ppe t4 mount? That's basically how this looks... except it was made from scraps around the shop.

It is simply our test/prototype setup. So we weren't going to invest much $$$ into it till we KNEW it could be done.
now that it works, the next one will get good metal mount, good up-pipes, and a proper oil drain.

Well... just went for a short run. Transmission works better than ever!

What did I do to fix it?? NOTHING. Took it apart, cleaned it, and put it back together.
Tomorrow... more driving time :)

It is my understanding that the van has a special exhaust housing on the stock turbo that the up-pipes clamp directly on to.

I made the complete mount. I went T4i because that is what my turbo has. Our next one will be standard t4.

And yes, that is correct. The van/hummer turbos do have a unique and different exhaust housing that the accordian up-pipes directly clamp to. It is the GM-7 turbo and don't think it would be too useful after 10-12 psi as the exhaust housing looks very small, possibly smaller then your normal GM-3 or 4. Standard t4 hey? I have a good idea of how your piping and mount is set up, is it one whole pipe/mount assembly that bolts onto the LH and RH exhaust manifold outlets (N/A), comes up and collects into that T4i mounting flange? I just bought a Volvo HX52 turbo with a 16cm2 housing that I wanted to run on my 93 Dodge, but really would like to use that as a center mount turbo on a 6.2 or 6.5 engine that I wanna run in a pulling truck. Looking into buying an 85 Chevy K30 dually...Dana 60 front and 14-bolt rear...4WD and manual. :D I don't weld or fabricate metal though...really need to start doing it and learning. I work in Lancaster too as a heavy truck mechanic for Freightliner. You've probably driven by a number of times...right there where RT. 283 and RT. 741 meet.

And yes, that is correct. The van/hummer turbos do have a unique and different exhaust housing that the accordian up-pipes directly clamp to. It is the GM-7 turbo and don't think it would be too useful after 10-12 psi as the exhaust housing looks very small, possibly smaller then your normal GM-3 or 4. Standard t4 hey? I have a good idea of how your piping and mount is set up, is it one whole pipe/mount assembly that bolts onto the LH and RH exhaust manifold outlets (N/A), comes up and collects into that T4i mounting flange? I just bought a Volvo HX52 turbo with a 16cm2 housing that I wanted to run on my 93 Dodge, but really would like to use that as a center mount turbo on a 6.2 or 6.5 engine that I wanna run in a pulling truck. Looking into buying an 85 Chevy K30 dually...Dana 60 front and 14-bolt rear...4WD and manual. :D I don't weld or fabricate metal though...really need to start doing it and learning. I work in Lancaster too as a heavy truck mechanic for Freightliner. You've probably driven by a number of times...right there where RT. 283 and RT. 741 meet.

Been into freightliner a few times!
lol! I probly pass you every day goin the other direction!

Get that truck. Good base to go pullin! The hx52 would work beautiful on the 6.5. You'll need external gate. But otherwise, it will be great!

There ya go and maybe we've saw each other and not even known it, lol! I do plan on getting the Chevy as it's in good shape for the year, is a 1-ton dually standard cab/flatbed w/ a 6.2 that has I think 93,000 on it. And yea I'd run that HX52 on it in 5 seconds if I could get a center mount setup because I can't do twin turbos and the passenger side truck manifold setup....flow is slow and just too inefficient. Plus the center mount like you have struck so many as interested...is hard to beat and looks cool!

Back