• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

"599" project

Excellent job and photos, Barry. Thanks for taking us on your build journey. It's fun to watch!

-Rob :)

This week's progress

I got the transfer case and tranny seperated. I needed to replace the oil seal on the input shaft of the transfer case. The transfer case was way over full,so I'm assuming the oil came from the tranny. No easier time to replace the seal and gasket. Back together and finished cleaning and masked off the wiring connectors and ID plates. 2 coats of primer,2 coats of aluminum paint and 2 coats of clear.:thumbsup:
I still needed to paint the power steering pump and A/C compressor. Cleaned ,sanded,masked, primed and painted them.:thumbsup:
I wanted to get more of the frame cleaned and painted so that when I do the rear section of frame that I wouldn't have to mask and work around the drivetrain so much. Center section of frame done:thumbsup:
In between coats of paint I went and picked up another 6.5td engine with 2 scored pistons. It's a 95 "929" with only 130,000miles. Complete except for the starter.:thumbsup:
Sunday should be the big day that the drivetrain goes back in ,if all goes good:eek::thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0848_1.jpg
    IMG_0848_1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0855_8.jpg
    IMG_0855_8.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0854_7.jpg
    IMG_0854_7.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0853_6.jpg
    IMG_0853_6.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0852_5.JPG
    IMG_0852_5.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0851_4.jpg
    IMG_0851_4.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0850_3.jpg
    IMG_0850_3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0849_2.jpg
    IMG_0849_2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 2
Hey Barry, Looks like a show truck! One thing I would suggest is not using the drain plug kit in the picture. It is not a tappered pipe plug but a oring seal. It is garrantied to leak.

Hey Barry, Looks like a show truck! One thing I would suggest is not using the drain plug kit in the picture. It is not a tappered pipe plug but a oring seal. It is garrantied to leak.
Any idea where to find a "good " drain plug set-up without spending $300 for a cast aluminum pan? This "help" one was the only thing I could find locally.:confused::mad2:

So far thats all it is! :)

Looks fantastic Barry! Can't wait to see her all put back together and fired up.

What are the plans for use on this vehicle?

I know the help section has a few different choices, but none I have seen would seem to work well. Next time I do one I will find a weld on 1/2" bung. Maybe Summit racing?
The other problem with the one like you have now (like the couple I have had) is its not even a 1/8" pipe thread, I thought I would solve the problem and intall a pipe plug. Well its wasint even close to fitting.
Maybe if you have to do some kind of custom thing you could weld in a fitting to allow the Fumoto (sp?) drain like used for engine oil??

Just had a brain storm (i think) You might be able to drill the hole in the plug to a larger size and tap it for 1/8" or even 1/4" pipe plug.

I know the help section has a few different choices, but none I have seen would seem to work well. Next time I do one I will find a weld on 1/2" bung. Maybe Summit racing?
The other problem with the one like you have now (like the couple I have had) is its not even a 1/8" pipe thread, I thought I would solve the problem and intall a pipe plug. Well its wasint even close to fitting.
Maybe if you have to do some kind of custom thing you could weld in a fitting to allow the Fumoto (sp?) drain like used for engine oil??

Go to any oilfield supply and get a npt coupler and cut it in 1/2 and weld it on the pan.

They weld easy, they're cast steel not cast iron. I weld them all the time. Shouldn't be a problem finding them in Houston:D. They also make weldable npt fittings, they already have a bevel at the base which isn't needed in this case.

Sweet looking truck, I would be hesitant to run it, it looks so good. :D

They weld easy, they're cast steel not cast iron. I weld them all the time. Shouldn't be a problem finding them in Houston:D. They also make weldable npt fittings, they already have a bevel at the base which isn't needed in this case.

OK, Im not a welder by any means. I have a couple 1/2" bungs used on BBQ pits for the thermometer probe, I bet they would work well also.

I opened the package. It is a POS.:mad2: The mini o-ring will tear the first time it's tightened.:eek: I think 1/2" would be a bit large. 3/8 or 1/4 would be more than big enough. Time to look through the pipe fitting drawers. I have`a spare tranny pan on it for temporary sake to not scratch the painted one up. Looks like i'll be repainting the pan after the welding:ANGRY_~317:

So far thats all it is! :)

Looks fantastic Barry! Can't wait to see her all put back together and fired up.

What are the plans for use on this vehicle?
It's got a 5th wheel ball hitch in the box.I have a triple axle flatbed trailer:eek:That is rated for 20,000 lbs:D

I opened the package. It is a POS.:mad2: The mini o-ring will tear the first time it's tightened.:eek: I think 1/2" would be a bit large. 3/8 or 1/4 would be more than big enough. Time to look through the pipe fitting drawers. I have`a spare tranny pan on it for temporary sake to not scratch the painted one up. Looks like i'll be repainting the pan after the welding:ANGRY_~317:

Without one in my hand I cant say, but how does it look if you drill and tap for a pipe plug? Is it doable?

Without one in my hand I cant say, but how does it look if you drill and tap for a pipe plug? Is it doable?
That may be possible.Right now I'm thinking on the lines of drilling and tapping a piece of steel plate and welding that to the pan.A regular pipe coupling would look kinda ugly:eek: and would distort some when welded.

Soooo close to going in

I started working on getting the engine ready to mount to the transmission/transfer case today. I found that I had a bunch of stuff not cleaned and painted beside the turbo:mad2: Got most of it cleaned and painted except the turbo. Mowed my 5 acre lawn while the paint was drying:eek:
I hadn't primed the oiling system yet ,so I got that done. Then put the oil cooler lines on. I left the home made primer tool in the engine so I can prime one more time to lube the turbo and fill the cooler and lines.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
This engine didn't have the valley drain tube that comes out by the oil filter ,so i grabbed a piece of 3/8" steel tube and the bender and made one for it. I must say it looks much better than the ones gm or gep makes:thumbsup:[not all smashed to hell]
Got the engine attached to the trans. Going in the truck tomorrow night:smile5:

Attachments

• IMG_0862_7.jpg
    IMG_0862_7.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0861_6.jpg
    IMG_0861_6.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0860_5.jpg
    IMG_0860_5.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0859_4.jpg