• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

When Suppliers turn bad - a detour from hijacking 94DeiselSub's thread.

For those of you not sure of Limey's (Sunshine) comment. When he came over for the races at the Salt Flats, 2 years ago, I picked him up and we did a site seeing trip towards Utah. His turn to drive from Reno towards Wells and strolled right up to the 100mph area and just cruised. But I should blame him for something, even if he didn't do it, just blame him anyway.

ROFL! Paul, you are officially a Bad Man!

(welcome to the club!) :hihi:

Should I mention the "outside temperature" as recorded by my GPS in the speedometer section later on in the trip or just re-post the picture?

To Diesel Depot, you guys were a great help on my project in getting parts to us in a timely manner. But in this episode with Ted and in so many others of late (shipping, communication, crap product etc.) it is just beyond comprehension that a company would purposely put the gun to their own head and fire. I've heard of companies taking assumed risks and even budgeting for eventual law suites but to play Russian Roulette with an Automatic holding 15 rounds is beyond comprehension. I dub thee "Steak Sauce"

To Diesel Depot, you guys were a great help on my project in getting parts to us in a timely manner. But in this episode with Ted and in so many others of late (shipping, communication, crap product etc.) it is just beyond comprehension that a company would purposely put the gun to their own head and fire. I've heard of companies taking assumed risks and even budgeting for eventual law suites but to play Russian Roulette with an Automatic holding 15 rounds is beyond comprehension. I dub thee "Steak Sauce"

Oooohhh....

seal-of-fail.jpg

Should I mention the "outside temperature" as recorded by my GPS in the speedometer section later on in the trip or just re-post the picture?

It is my story and I am sticking to it! It 'was' the outside temperature (some where)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong trip! Pay no attention to the Norwegian hiding behind his keyboard. Lol
We're talking about your's and Ted's driving in 2010, not my driving in 2011. Besides, this is a diesel forum and that's not even a TDI VW, try to stay on track will ya. Geez. (Hopefully this translates into Norge as humor)

Well people Diesel Depot has done it to me again. For the past week or more I have been told everything else has been shipped, but I wasn't given a tracking number. OK on everything, that to me, would be the complete gasket kit, the rod, main, and cam bearings, pistons, piston rings, and a check for $640. I called this am and asked again for a UPS tracking number and Benny gave me one.

I was shocked when he said the package would be delivered this am. Shocked I say, shocked!!

I went over to the shop and waited for the UPS truck to arrive. It showed up at 11:30 and I went out and got my very small box. A box that had Mahle in very big letters on it. My thoughts were, the gasket kit must be folded into a much smaller size. The bearing must be all compacted too. I went inside and slowly opened the box. Much to my delight, there were my pistons. But surely there must be a second layer in this box if all the other parts were included. Nope, just one layer, a layer of pistons.

BUT NO PISTON RINGS!!

So another phone call to Avant Salvage and another talk with Benny and he was actually upset the rings were not included. I said 'rings', but what about the bearings and gaskets and a check for $640. He said to call back in 1 hour, he was going to have them shipped to me from the factory. I have heard all of this before, many times.

The shop I am talking about is Heath Diesel shop.

When he texted me this morning that the box was due in and what did I think was in it I said, "5 pistons for a 1972 Audi 5000, 13 push rods of various lengths...."
Guess I wasn't too far off.

What is the problem?.....Just plain incompetence, part availability, or do they think you'll just forget about it and stop calling them?

I would say they were just trying to save money by using the cheaper parts. They have the parts, a lot of used parts from Avant Salvage.

The engine broke in March, last year. The broken parts were sent to them in April. The phone calls started about the middle of April and have continued ever since, anywhere from 7 or more calls a day.

I didn't give then a chance to forget!

They even wanted me to get on the dyno and set a high horsepower mark for a Jamie Avant built Diesel Depot engine. Wanting me to use the nitrous, and jack up the propane. Said the engine was built to race engine specs and would not break. Well that didn't set well with me being the time it took to build the engine, about 2 years. But the day before the dyno was to happen 'and' after finding the propane set at the wrong angle 'and' the nitrous not having a button in the system 'and' the diesel leaking from the AirDog I decided againt the dyno run. All in all I got screwed over big time by Diesel Depot and the installer Ian Carver, who used to work for Heath Diesel. He was selling all the parts off his truck/engine and I bought them, at 50% of the cost, and he was to install them for free. But I sure did find out how free those parts were later!

I sure did learn a lesson in parts installed and a quality engine builder!

I hope this clears things up a little!!

I know the story Ted......But you've been waiting on 2/3 of your internals for a while, not to mention a check, and......it never comes.

First motor aside, the second rebuild hasn't started because your missing parts and a check.....Correct?

I know the story Ted......But you've been waiting on 2/3 of your internals for a while, not to mention a check, and......it never comes.

First motor aside, the second rebuild hasn't started because your missing parts and a check.....Correct?

Yep, the block had no damage. I was sent a Scat crank turned down for the 2 piece rear main, and a balanced flywheel.

The I did get the heads, but had to go thru them! NICE JOB DIESEL DEPOT

Months later I received the rods, used camshaft, and used lifters.

The yesterday the pistons arrived, but no rings. Supposed to be shipping the rings today.

But I really doubt if I will ever see the over haul gasket kit, the rod, main, and cam bearing OR A CHECK FOR $640 they agreed to cover the cost of removing, rebuilding, and replacing the engine.

I sure hope others end up reading this post about Diesel Depot and their quality warranty work, and shop else where!

So, what exactly is "race specs" for a 6.5 diesel?

Those kind of statements always make me go:

Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint-1.jpg

So, what exactly is "race specs" for a 6.5 diesel?

Well when I was drag racing years ago, balancing and blue printing an engine was what was call race specs.

And then with gapless rings, teflon coated piston shirts, ceramic coating all the extreme heated areas and then doing the extrude-hone work should amount for something! Along with heat retaining paint on the engine valley and heat reflecting paint on the lower intake.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the problem?.....Just plain incompetence, part availability, or do they think you'll just forget about it and stop calling them?
I googled Diesel Depot and it listed this picture.

WRKNJRY.JPG

All I have to say is that the guy is looking for the wrong rings....

Paveltolz said:
All I have to say is that the guy is looking for the wrong rings....
If they're up there the situation is more grave than we initially thought...

After a few more calls to Avant Salvage I got thru to Benny and he said he would have everything else, for the engine build, shipped to me. To me, that would be rings, all the needed bearings, the gasket kit, and a check for $640. He said he would send it 3 day freight. That was Monday and something was shipped!! At the shop yesterday and a package showed up. I was actually happy again. There in the package were gaskets, 8 sets of new piston rings, a 2 piece rear main seal and NOTHING ELSE.

No bearings or a check for $640. I called right away and Benny wasn't available.

I'm not giving up on the bearing or money. More call to be made on Monday.

Back