• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

When Suppliers turn bad - a detour from hijacking 94DeiselSub's thread.

Already been contemplated and rejected. Crime doesn't pay, and they can always stall you out until it is too expensive for the effort. Fuel to The ass end of GA from WA...3500 miles at $3.75 per gallon or worse for fuel...round trip...food, hotels, delayed by BS for what is now $640 in cash and less than a $100 in bearings...cheaper to slam them on line and harrass on the phone.
At this point I'd tell them I'd take $1000 to get off their back.

Update:
Bearings and rebuild gasket kit showed up mid-Feb while Ted and I were road tripping around UT, AZ, CA, NV and home again. Still no check but in the words of Benny Avant, "That isn't going to happen" so if you're doing business in GA and are stuck in Sandersville with a busted truck, expect the pain to continue if you're going to deal with Diesel Depot and or Avant Salvage.

Sorry Benny and Jamie, ya'll brought this on your selves.

While on the road trip though, the decision was made and deal struck that I would buy the motor as is from Ted, assemble or have it assembled and swap it in to my truck.

That plan has evolved and the progress can be followed in the performance section under "Fun with Ted, Todd, Bill and Paul..."

Thanks for hanging around for the ride and the patience with the "guess who we're talking about."

You gave those guys WAY more benefit of the doubt than most anyone else would have.

True, but they were very good people to work with for a very long time. JMiller's motor, last I heard, is doing well and many others are still satisfied customers. Unfortunately it went south with that business for many others but, for a time, continued to be good for us and my projects. Then Ted's motor died and 'that lovin' feeling was gone.' Then it was a waiting game to get what could be got. One can always hit the "Prick" button but that puts everyone's back against the wall and then nobody is happy. See CGreen's saga with GMAC and the stealership that put the "steal" in the name for an example. GMAC went "ugly early" and it's been expensive for everyone to include health and it still isn't over for him yet. You know that guy's Christian cause of what he's endured without getting out the guns and he's got my admiration for what he's endured. The phrase Patience of Jobe should have his picture next to it in the book.

Ted was fortunate that he could wait them out and he got something instead of nothing. Still, he lost a lot of time, a lot of patience, and in the long run, a lot of money but the money loss was going to happen anyway. At least he'll get something back and get to see the motor running as it should.

Yeah, I know what you mean about finding honest business people. I was in the home remodeling/energy conservation updating business for about four years. It was the shysters, hucksters, conmen and those who did crappy work and overcharged their customers that helped me decide to not continue in the business any more, it was the bad name they were giving to the industry that made it so damn hard for the honest people with integrity like me to compete.

One can always hit the "Prick" button but that puts everyone's back against the wall and then nobody is happy.

Thanks, Paul - that there statement is 100% on the mark, and we've seen it before.

Dennis (Slim Shady) is another one of those good guys that strives to make it right with every customer that had any complaint, despite getting that treatment early on from some folk.

I think you guys gave Jamie every chance to make things right, so really, he's getting what he deserves.

I've ALWAYS lived by the assumption that everyone should be trusted until they give you a reason not to. Then look T F out once the reason shows up! I get to decide the reason...;)

The only one that can give away your honor, is yourself. Some people wont know what honor is, but those of us that do, know what they lost or never had> :) It ain't easy but I don't want to give my honor away to someone that is not worthy of it.

PS friends help also , thanks Jim Tim and the rest. Sometimes everyone needs a little help to keep on track.

The only one that can give away your honor, is yourself. Some people wont know what honor is, but those of us that do, know what they lost or never had> :) It ain't easy but I don't want to give my honor away to someone that is not worthy of it.

Trust me, I know what honor is. Sixteen years as an Officer in the Army. 32* Mason since '96. So many business deals on my word and a handshake, and as an Officer, our word was considered binding when I was in. I sometimes wonder what has happened to honor when I hear of some of the things that have occurred in Iraq and Afghanistan the last decade, and shake my head in disgust that there are those who have fallen so far to perpetrate such travesties.

Well people, DIESEL DEPOT has done it again.

Yep, sure did. In a way it was my fault for not catching the problem.

My engine parts had showed up at Heath Diesel, little by little. When the pistons did arrive it was just a box with 8 pistons and nothing else. Not much really to look at so not much time was spent on inspecting said pistons.

Sold all the engine parts to Paveltoz and the assembly was to take place next week, by Todd, at Heath Diesel. Paul's new rod bushing showed up and Bill took them to the machine shop in Yakima. I went there yesterday and Rich said he will need the rods too, opps! Rich says the rods, with the new bushing, would be done by Friday or Monday.

AND THE BLOCK is done, complete with new ARP main cap studs!

I called Todd and said the assembley of Paul's engine could start on Tuesday. He got busy getting the parts out and checking them out. That is when he found the pistons were pretty well banged up and a few of the wrist pins fell out.

Now I had free floating wrist pins in my 68 Z-28 302 drag race engine. But I sure don't want them in that diesel engine.

Lucky for me, at Heath Diesel, there is a set of new/slightly, triple coated, used 20 over pistons with new GM rod bolts that 'may' fit. If not, the block will get a 30 over bore and a new set of 30 over pistons.

Thanks again to Jamie Avant at DIESEL DEPOT for sticking it to me!

You guys have got to get it together, a lot of us here are waiting for the results.:)

I'm sorry, I think I would hunt the little prick down and exact some satisfaction.

Well people, DIESEL DEPOT has done it again.

Yep, sure did. In a way it was my fault for not catching the problem.

My engine parts had showed up at Heath Diesel, little by little. When the pistons did arrive it was just a box with 8 pistons and nothing else. Not much really to look at so not much time was spent on inspecting said pistons.

Sold all the engine parts to Paveltoz and the assembly was to take place next week, by Todd, at Heath Diesel. Paul's new rod bushing showed up and Bill took them to the machine shop in Yakima. I went there yesterday and Rich said he will need the rods too, opps! Rich says the rods, with the new bushing, would be done by Friday or Monday.

AND THE BLOCK is done, complete with new ARP main cap studs!

I called Todd and said the assembley of Paul's engine could start on Tuesday. He got busy getting the parts out and checking them out. That is when he found the pistons were pretty well banged up and a few of the wrist pins fell out.

Now I had free floating wrist pins in my 68 Z-28 302 drag race engine. But I sure don't want them in that diesel engine.

Lucky for me, at Heath Diesel, there is a set of new/slightly, triple coated, used 20 over pistons with new GM rod bolts that 'may' fit. If not, the block will get a 30 over bore and a new set of 30 over pistons.

Thanks again to Jamie Avant at DIESEL DEPOT for sticking it to me!

Maybe this should be carried on over to the "Fun with...." thread but I have to tell you, I can't help but wonder at the wisdom of all this and snicker too. Oh well, regardless, I'm sure we can get it together, literally, before too much longer. The problem with the pistons is that there is no way to get satisfaction out of Diesel Despots now. At least the 20 over bore set can be used with the existing rings (one thing DD got right) and so the price is lower, as if that's any comfort. But, having to go with a 30 over set will incur the added cost of the rings, and going gap-less just increases the pain, as well as an increased cost of purchasing the new pistons. There was a deal to be had with the 20 over set, not so much with the 30's...then there's waiting for our favorite 'speed shop' to get to the boring of the cylinders....

Don't think I'm not counting my blessings in that this is just a project, not a necessity. I'm fortunate that my current motor is still pulling strong and is averaging 16.9mpg around town even with a lift and wider tires. So time is not really an issue and I can be patient . The goal was never to get the job done fast, it was to have a fast truck when the job is done...right. It may be taking extra time but I've always known that "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" by saving wasted effort.

Back