• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

When Suppliers turn bad - a detour from hijacking 94DeiselSub's thread.

the article did say he used a stock crank

That is correct. I called the builder when the engine broke. Over the phone he could hear the rod knocking, he said he would get a new Scat crank. Which he did, I got it last month!

And I now have an engine block, crank, flywheel, heads, but 'no' rods, pistons, camshaft, lifters, gaskets, or bearings.

635/Ted.. I think you're one of the ones we hear about that can F up a cast iron football.

Did you expect a 250,000 mile engine that was ass-raped by you every day?

Get real man.

I don't care if you spent 100 grand on an engine, somebody, someway, will find a way to huff it.

I think the arguement is more over the engine builders stated warranty vs what he is actually doing about it. The builder had to know it would be run hard with that kind of attention

635/Ted.. I think you're one of the ones we hear about that can F up a cast iron football.

Get real man.

I don't care if you spent 100 grand on an engine, somebody, someway, will find a way to huff it.

I may have forgotten but the mileage on the original engine was 150,000. I don't remember any estimate on the rebuild core.

I also believe it didn't make the warranty that was given.

I completely missed the part about the stock crank and just figured with all the other work, "inovation", balancing, extruding etc, that the builders were doing that they had naturally gone with SCAT. I mean, why put all that $$ time and thinking into it and not go with the better crank?

The issue IS about the warranty. During the build up for the dyno run their attitude was "Break it, we want to know what it will do... its warranteed and we'll cover it."
I do know that they were consulted several times during the 350 hp build up and had blessed it off all the way.
So, even if it were run hard and put up wet everyday, which it wasn't, the builders are doing the ass-raping everyday here, not the driver.

Wow. The warranty does make the impression to "try" to break it. And congrats if you do we will replace it.

I have built a several 6.5 engines and some 6.2's as well. I have broke my share of these little critters and been called in as a consultant on a few others that have had issues.

Knowing what I know about these engines, I would not EVEN make a warranty promiss to the effect, "You Break it we will replace it"

These engines are just not that damned good to stick ones neck out that far.

If one started with an AMG Block, AMG heads, either an AMG forged crank, or at least a Scat crank and then built from there, you might have a fair item, but no way would I literally invite someone to break it.

Missy

Get real man.

:wtf: Jeeze...

Get real man.

I didn't get that from his post at all.

I got:

Paid to have a stout long block built with express intent of making power

Said builder did well for the most part, but mixed in some parts in the "foundations" that shouldn't have been.

Had a supposedly experienced individual install some "go fast goodies" with the stout long block builders understanding and encouragement

However, said "goodies" were installed by someone less experienced than he thought he was

Goodies used assuming they were done right;

Chaos ensued.

Meltdown begun.

Warranty claim on said "stout" short block is ongoing

Looks like it will be resolved, but not in an expedient manner.

The "Try to Break it" isn't the normal warranty (24mo/25K). Just the result of their conversations wrt the motor and the idea of attempting at getting to 350hp. The motor's health vs the warranty was a chief concern prior to moving forward. Otherwise, we wouldn't have that entertaining thread in the performance section.

I would agree if the warranty on that specific engine was stated, in good faith, it should have been backed.

Having my own dealings with said supplier, I can report a good experience. But I'm not expecting to push the motor to its limits either.

If I had that expectation, and offered a similar claim, I'd be upset too in the situation.

Back