• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

When Suppliers turn bad - a detour from hijacking 94DeiselSub's thread.

Yes it does! The engine build was covered by a magazine, but no names.

But I didn't start it, I just added a few pennies worth of stuff.

The old saying, "Buyer Beware", should be used when shopping for a rebuilt engine.

The 'optimizer' was not out when I had mine built.

$9K and I supplied the heads, turbo, upper and lower intakes, and exhaust.

A stock bore and compression 6.2 with new Clevite bearing and my 6.5 heads will be in my pickup, by the end of January.

Les,
I'm thinking you are right...Let me see how one of the 6.5 mods want to handle splitting this new information into it's own thread...

JFaire, TurbineDoc, Pepperidge: Please split this thing off at the detour (post 61), with my apologies to Chris, the threads original poster, and to the forum's membership for:
1. Hijacking the thread.
2. Violating the trust and request of my good friend 635 in his long quest for satisfaction from a non-site-vendor for me to keep my big fat trap/keyboard shut.
3. In maintaining that trust to him, it appeared that I was willingly allowing the rest of you to walk blindly into a nightmare of your own. Louis, I appreciate your pointing that out as it had not occured to me, master of the obvious that I am not.

I'll start a "detour" thread to give this line of conversation a place. I think there was another one earlier for bad experiences with suppliers gone bad.
Thanks guys.
Paul

Instead of talking about Ted's Trucks, we can talk about Ted's engine.

Yep, the 'Ultimate 6.2 rebuild'! 2 years/24K mile warranty. Everything covered, guaranteed not to break, type of warranty. The kind of warranty where the engine builders had made many calls wanting me to add many chemicals to see just what amout of horsepower this "Ultimate" engine could produce. Because it would not break! This engine was built to race engine specifications! Even going as far as agreeing to pay a partial amout for the dyno for the entire day.

The engine did cost me $9K but $3K of that was the extrude-hone work. It did break in March and the pistons and rods were sent back for a new set to be matched and returned. The heads were sent back and the did return. The camshaft had a few large nicks in it and a few of the lifters had decided to stick. I was also promised a 'new' camshaft and 'new' lifters.

Has anyone ever made a call, inquiring about tracking numbers, and had someone tell them the parts have been shipped? I have made quite a few of those types of calls. One time I called late and was told the heads had been shipped. I asked for the tracking numbers and was told they would be hard to find, I said I have nothing but time and I would wait. Soon I was given some tracking numbers. I was sitting in front of a computer, I wrote them down and repeated them back and I entered them as we spoke. Hmmm.... the numbers were not on line. I tried again and again nothing. then all of a sudden there they were. Tracking numbers 2 minutes apart! 5 days later my heads arrived.

But again no ceramic coated top/teflon coated piston skirt pistons or connecting rods. Or camshaft or lifters. Or a complete overhaul gasket kit. Or bearings. Or a check for 16 hours @ $40 as was also agreed, for engine assembly.

I did get a new Scat crank and they did have the rear seal turned down for my 6.2, 2 piece rear main seal.

Again, no names, but the article can be read in MaxxTorque. The issue with a Hummer on the front!

Ted/635

I followed your build and it looked impressive, but with a lot of obstacles.

Tracking numbers are sent with the invoice from any good vendor I've used.

1. It all started when my stock 6.5 broke. I was in need of another engine and asked around. Was told about a company east of here a ways and contacted them. Had a lot of ideas as to how I wanted my engine built. Cost was not really a problem because of the things I wanted done.

2. Got the engine and had it installed out here. didn't really feel that good for about 6,000 miles or so then it started to come to life. Knowing of other performance items available and I wanted them. Then a former employee of a 62/65 diesel company had a lot of stuff for sale for half the cost and it did include installation. I bought all the stuff.

3. Everything was to be done at one time. The Water Mist, Propane, and Nitros. Along with an AirDog and the 'Feed the Beast' fuel lines. Now the problems started. The engine builder knew I was adding all these items and really wanted to know just how much horsepower their engine would or could produce. A diesel shop in Monroe was contacted and they agreed for the use of their dyno for a whole day. But I wasn't paying for the use, the engine builder and a couple of magazine were going to do that.

4. Along with those above items was the larger A Team Turbo. With out the water mist, propane, and nitrous that engine really came to life and pulled real strong with the A team turbo. Then the propane was installed and the bottle was set at the wrong angle. When I turned the switch on a much stronger amount of propane was injected. the engine really came to life. Little did I know the bottle at that angle was set wrong. That amount of propane cause so much heat 5 of the 8 marine injectors burned up.

5. Pickup up the pickup the day before the dyno run. The AirDog was installed in such a way that when I left my mileage was about 3 miles per gallon. Had a major leak in the fuel lines. Of course no dyno was performed.

6. Trip over to Ellensburg and a new set of stock injectors was installed. then the Water Mist was set to come on at the right amount of boost. The propane system was set to the manufacture and it was set correct also. Checked out the nitrous system. Good thing I never tried it, there was no button in there, wide open. I ended up installing a 50 hp button.

7. After the stock injectors were installed the engine seemed to feel flat. I wasn't getting all that fuel. With the A Team Turbo on it and those burnt injectors it would really haul ass. It would throw out black smoke at first then once the boost came up it would take off. But with the stock injectors it felt flat, like I lost about 100 horsepower. Took the A Team Turbo off and put the stock GM-8 back on. Now I had an engine that was not a performer any more in my book. Just a driver.

8. Tried the nitrous once. As the engine came up on power and just as it shifted to second gear I hit the switch and when it shifted the 265/19.5 duals went up in smoke.

9. Installed a 32 gallon water tank I was using one gallon of water to one gallon of diesel. Installed a 23 gallon propane tank. The propane use was about .4 gallon of propane to one gallon of diesel.

10. Less that 24 months and 24,000 miles the engine broke. At an idle on the freeway.
A lifter fell apart on #3 intake, the camshaft had a big notch in it, and #7 connecting rod went away. All that money and all that time that was put in that engine and the builder used KING bearings. About $30 more and they could of used Clevite. The builder said he would cover all the costs and to send him the broken parts. The engine broke in March, the parts were east of here in April.

So far I received my very expensive heads, a Scat crank, and a balance flywheel. No other parts!

11. Continous phone call to the engine builder east of here, say about 7-11 calls a day. A few times I did get to talk to someone there and then I was usually lied to.

But I am not useing any names. But I will say the engine build was in MaxxTorque Magazine, the one with a Hummer on the cover. I believe the title was 'Ultimat 6.2l Rebuild'.

But no names!

Back