• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Started the radiator to draining.
Run the truck several times to figure why it is dying and left more spots on the garage floor.
Not sure I’ll remove the radiator support as @Big T did on His truck.
I have done such as that on the 7000, 7500 series GM trucks with the V8 diesel and gas V8s just not sure I want to go that phar on this truck.
I’ll know more tomorrow. 👍😹

Stepped out and checked the progress of the draining radiator. The big tin pan i use is about half or more full. I think the radiator is mostly done draining.
I’ll get under tomorrow and pull the block drains then start unbolting 💩 until itiz hoist time.
I do have a spare engine stand, I just hope it is heavy enough to handle the load.
I one time overhauled a Ford three cylinder tractor engines, one of them made in England units, might have been Ford Ferguson or some such, on a stand just like this one and it held just fine.
The mounting plate had two spot welds on it to hold it to the receiver. I run a nice bead alla the way around it and its been holding just phine ever since.

Stepped out and checked the progress of the draining radiator. The big tin pan i use is about half or more full. I think the radiator is mostly done draining.
I’ll get under tomorrow and pull the block drains then start unbolting 💩 until itiz hoist time.
I do have a spare engine stand, I just hope it is heavy enough to handle the load.
I one time overhauled a Ford three cylinder tractor engines, one of them made in England units, might have been Ford Ferguson or some such, on a stand just like this one and it held just fine.
The mounting plate had two spot welds on it to hold it to the receiver. I run a nice bead alla the way around it and its been holding just phine ever since.
Be careful

We will light it tomorrow. Continue to face delays due to issues and difference between model years.
Delays…that’s an understatement. Bolt chasing, fittings, parts sourcing and such. Yesterday’s two joys: M8 bolts provided in a kit where 3/8-16 bolts are correct. “Maybe it’s M10 1.5?”… nope. M10 1.25?… nope again (store runs required each time), 3/8s?…store run by spousal unit…right thread, wrong style. Go back to store….

Transmission lines are for 97 and newer. This is a 99 burb but, trans isn’t…lines were too large in dia. for these fittings and incorrect for this model but, work for the spare one he has.

Oh yeah, Pavel busts open his head again. Seems my motto anymore is “It isn’t a good day wrenching unless I draw blood.”

Delays…that’s an understatement. Bolt chasing, fittings, parts sourcing and such. Yesterday’s two joys: M8 bolts provided in a kit where 3/8-16 bolts are correct. “Maybe it’s M10 1.5?”… nope. M10 1.25?… nope again (store runs required each time), 3/8s?…store run by spousal unit…right thread, wrong style. Go back to store….

Transmission lines are for 97 and newer. This is a 99 burb but, trans isn’t…lines were too large in dia. for these fittings and incorrect for this model but, work for the spare one he has.

Oh yeah, Pavel busts open his head again. Seems my motto anymore is “It isn’t a good day wrenching unless I draw blood.”
I am going to take the old 4L80e from the ‘99 in for rebuild. Once rebuilt, I will swap it back into the ‘99 and use the new proper lines I bought for it. The current 4L80e unit in the ‘99 will go into the ‘94.

Back