• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Give it to MrMarty. It seized at idle speed from external oil loss. Block and some of the components may still be good. I have no use for it, but I can do my break in miles meeting up with Marty.
I’ll need to get My truck back together before the meet-N-greet. That might be a munth, maybe two.
Of course, if I mention road trip to the eldest boy child, he would most definetely wanna take His 19 Dodge.
Then it could happen a lot sooner. 😹

Butane torch, heat helps to loose that gasket sealer.
Right Stuff seems a lot tougher than the, I think factory, RTV sealant.
IMG_0437.jpeg
Then having a tough enough gasket scraper to drive between the upper corners of the rocker covers and the head helps a lot too.
IMG_0438.jpeg
Take note, special note, see how the wood handle is ground away from the shank ?
That prevents the pounding affects from splitting the wood handle.
I need to do some touch up to that shank so it done distort and split the handle regardless of the wood being ground away.
I do have another of these scrapers, handle busted and split away a 1/4 of a century ago.
Thats the one I use when I drill spot welds then chisel the layers of steel apart.
IDK who else sells these scrapers but I used to get them off the Snap On truck.
Maybe @Will L. can comment if they are available from the Mac dealer.
IDR what the price was way back then but I’d bet a 25 dollar bill might get one today.
Well worth an item in the tool box.

I’ll need to get My truck back together before the meet-N-greet. That might be a munth, maybe two.
Of course, if I mention road trip to the eldest boy child, he would most definetely wanna take His 19 Dodge.
Then it could happen a lot sooner. 😹
I won’t be back up to Montana until end of October or early November. I don’t have the time to go through old motor and figured you would have better use for it.

And a glimpse of todays poorgress.
Lifters.
IMG_0442.jpeg

A little plasticated trash of some sort.
IMG_0444.jpeg
Caught this just in time. I think. All the rod bearings about the same. I began checking for the sizes but then the rod side had differing numbers than the cap side.
Caps seemed standard, rod side seemed to be under size, .0250
IMG_0445.jpeg

Cam bushes about done in.
IMG_0447.jpeg

Marty, How are the bolts and washers holding up on the rocker shafts? any noticeable wear on the washers or rockers? I forget how long ago you installed them.
I will be dismantling those bolts/washers and inspecting the mating surfaces.
I will scribe a line on them washers so I know what angle they came off from so to be able to tell exactly what their positions was.
Then get them back together at that same angle.
If the rockers are still in good shape after inspecting the pushrod ball ends then the valve ends will need to be dressed back to a flush surface.

1-3-5-7 on the right, one farthest to the top is one.
Other side of 2, then, 4-6-8. Fartest to top is 2.
IMG_0459.jpeg
No.7 and No.8 both look to be plenty healthy. No scuffing and no scratching.
I did manage to get a couple rub marks on the No.2 piston but they are just barely marked.
I believe that these pistons could be placed back into service if I would of a mind to do so.
IDK what the bores will measure up to. Going to take the block to the blocks and heads man and have Him bore the block to the nearest size over, i’m betting on 0.030.
Then I would like to get a set of dropped compression pistons and fit them up. Dont know if that’d be a good, or bad, idea since I have the ATT turbo attached and it seems to max boost about 11 PSI, IIRC.
There is a reprogrammed ECM that will be on its way when QST gets one programmed and sent. Doing a daily driver tune.

Back