• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

I drove my truck to church today. Coming home SES lamp ignited. Stopped and checked it out. Reader said no codes. I erased them anyway and the lamp went out.
Would someone please send me a gremlin bell so I can tie it under the front bumper or some such ?
It does not work for a person to buy and attach their own gremlin bell. It has to be given to the intended person but that person is allowed to tie it on.
At least the bells works for Harleys, most of the time. 😹🤷‍♂️😹😹

My wife's grandparents had what they called the "family"car. it was a 1972 Toyota Corona. I guess Toyota named it after the beer LOL. it had a straight 6 with a 3 speed auto, even had ac! the seats were covered in blankets.... They would drive that car all over the place and wouldn't hesitate to jump in it and take a 10 hour drive from San Antonio straight to somewhere near Mexico City. The interior was horrid compared to others. No headliner left, only remnants of carpet is once had. One day I for whatever reason got curious after they stopped driving, wondering what kind of condition the seats were in. I pealed I think three layers of old blankets up and a extremely old rotted seat cover only to see nothing but wire and springs!! no fabric, no foam, it looked like an old mattress after it's been in a fire where the only thing left is the metal! But that dam car would run!

This in primer grey.
View attachment 87077

My first experience with a Toyota was the neighbor’s when we shared a ride to school in the mid-70s. I noticed the gauge needles flipping back and forth and I thought never would I own a cheap POS. Fast forward and I own two and they are the standard bearers for reliability. The real irony is the gauges on my ‘94 K2500 Suburban flip back and forth when I hit a good bump.

Loaded up with the big grill, chairs, cooler, etc. and headed out in a head/cross wind towards Vegas.

IMG_8938.jpegGoing to watch the 4-Wides this weekend with family. They wanted to try the Nellis Air Base RV site vs. hoteling so, they got a trailer and I decided to rent a Motor Home for 'camping'.
Anyway. Truck runs great. Summer Blends are back and even running 70mph with the grill sticking up over the cab I managed 19.5mpg. Normally on the freeway at 70 with a tail wind I'd be happy with mid 17mpg. Guess the new heads, properly set up and getting rid of the HT-4 cam is really going to pay off.
image000000.jpeg

Loaded up with the big grill, chairs, cooler, etc. and headed out in a head/cross wind towards Vegas.

View attachment 87138Going to watch the 4-Wides this weekend with family. They wanted to try the Nellis Air Base RV site vs. hoteling so, they got a trailer and I decided to rent a Motor Home for 'camping'.
Anyway. Truck runs great. Summer Blends are back and even running 70mph with the grill sticking up over the cab I managed 19.5mpg. Normally on the freeway at 70 with a tail wind I'd be happy with mid 17mpg. Guess the new heads, properly set up and getting rid of the HT-4 cam is really going to pay off.
View attachment 87140
On the road again. Spring is here!

Nice! Question for ya... the rear fender opening and the axle/tire aligniment looks odd. is that the factory look? kinnda looks like a tear drop opening and the front of the tire tucked in behind the fender.

Nice! Question for ya... the rear fender opening and the axle/tire aligniment looks odd. is that the factory look? kinnda looks like a tear drop opening and the front of the tire tucked in behind the fender.
I have no idea.

He’s a retired Doctor who had built and sold a successful Urgent Care practice in Rancho Santa Fe down in San Diego. Has always had a collection of cars and this was one of his daily drivers. We happened to be down in the San Diego area, so we always meet up and he drove the 1951 Chevrolet. I am in the planning process for painting the Suburbans and told him we need to put it in line. His problem is that he’s fully engaged in a sizeable remodeled of a 6,000+ sf mansion on 4 acres down there, prepping it for a sale.

Also met up with a friend in Fallbrook whom I hadn’t seen since High School. He was influential in my getting into VW bugs as my first cars as he was into customizing them as “California Bugs.” Those were the cars I learned to work on, because you had to work on them. I eventually grew out of them due to work commitments, but he’s always stayed in the game.

Last edited:
He mentioned that his ‘67 Bug will be getting a new souped up engine and transmission, plus a new paint job. He had done this originally in acrylic enamel and would like to update it with the modern polyurethane paint. Told him I have the equipment and an inflatable spray booth, so let’s do it. He’s a a bit busy with his 2+ acre vineyard.

IMG_2676.jpegIMG_2675.jpeg

Last edited:
I have no idea.

He’s a retired Doctor who had built and sold a successful Urgent Care practice in Rancho Santa Fe down in San Diego. Has always had a collection of cars and this was one of his daily drivers. We happened to be down in the San Diego area, so we always meet up and he drove the 1951 Chevrolet. I am in the planning process for painting the Suburbans and told him we need to put it in line. His problem is that he’s fully engaged in a sizeable remodeled of a 6,000+ sf mansion on 4 acres down there, prepping it for a sale.
Just curious, how much does a remodel like that cost?

We were quoted $300,000 for our 1300 square ft house and 30 x 32 attached garage.

I really don't know what we're going to do.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to get much done myself anymore. It was all I could do to plant 2 tiny trees with a bulb auger a couple days ago.

Thinking about an auction and selling everything. But then we'd have to have a moving plan. I'm not town friendly.

IMG_2669.pngIMG_2665.pngJust curious, how much does a remodel like that cost?

We were quoted $300,000 for our 1300 square ft house and 30 x 32 attached garage.

I really don't know what we're going to do.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to get much done myself anymore. It was all I could do to plant 2 tiny trees with a bulb auger a couple days ago.

Thinking about an auction and selling everything. But then we'd have to have a moving plan. I'm not town friendly.
I have not had the gumption to ask. It sounds like well north of $1 million. The home would easily sell for $1,000+ per sf, so you get an idea of what the thing is worth.

On our Fullerton home, we got a bid for the yard (pool, patio, drainage, wall/fence/gates out front that was north of $500K. I balked at that because we paid $600K for the home back in 1992. I can’t do the pool/patio replacement, so I am getting additional bids on that. But I can do drainage, grade and put in a circular drive of paving stones over time, which is why I recently secured a tractor. I have seen troll posts on Instagram where contractors were bragging about 45% mark-up on their bids and never losing a single bid. Normal profit on such contracting is 20%. In comments, there we guys bragging about getting as much as 65%. Well I’d just say enjoy it while it lasts because the rosy times will be coming to a close fairly soon.

Last edited:
I have not had the gumption to ask. It sounds like well north of $1 million. The home would easily sell for $1,000+ per sf, so you get an idea of what the thing is worth.

On our Fullerton home, we got a bid for the yard (pool, patio, drainage, wall/fence/gates out front that was north of $500K. I balked at that because we paid $600K for the home back in 1992. I can’t do the pool/patio replacement, so I am getting additional bids on that. But I can do drainage, grade and put in a circular drive of paving stones over time, which is why I recently secured a tractor. I have seen troll posts on Instagram where contractors were bragging about 45% mark-up on their bids and never losing a single bid. Normal profit on such contracting is 20%. In comments, there we guys bragging about getting as much as 65%. Well I’d just say enjoy it while it lasts because the rosy times will be coming to a close fairly soon.
My nephew is building a $300,000 plus house and it isn't much. He said, he didn't know how much it would be, when done. The owner keeps adding expensive upgrades.

Nows the time add those upgrades, but it gets more expensive after you've already started a project. Not as expensive as after the project is complete.

I haven't looked into SIPs or pre built - not sure what it's called. I once ordered a garage from Wisconsin that you could ruff in pretty quickly.

The walls were built and all you had to do was stand them up.

All materials were there.

It was pretty price competitive.

Haven't looked at any other prefab stuff.

We're wide open to suggestions.

Back