• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Well after concluding one of two options, me being senile or the 93 had a fluke flexplate noise, I drove it to work today and it did totally fine :)

I was thinking about the oil change interval for this truck, being that I have a couple hundred miles to go till I have put 2k on this oil change and thinking about all the blowby and possible soot buildup in the oil from that. the question came to me...

should I carry on like normal changing the oil every 3k miles or do it sooner? I think I have dumped at least two gallons in to it as make-up oil over it drinking / leaking it since I changed it LOL.

I have been using Mobil 15-40 dino oil (non-synthetic) but thinking about switching to the Walmart supertech 15-40 over the cost and how much it drinks.

Whats say you guys?

Well after concluding one of two options, me being senile or the 93 had a fluke flexplate noise, I drove it to work today and it did totally fine :)

I was thinking about the oil change interval for this truck, being that I have a couple hundred miles to go till I have put 2k on this oil change and thinking about all the blowby and possible soot buildup in the oil from that. the question came to me...

should I carry on like normal changing the oil every 3k miles or do it sooner? I think I have dumped at least two gallons in to it as make-up oil over it drinking / leaking it since I changed it LOL.

I have been using Mobil 15-40 dino oil (non-synthetic) but thinking about switching to the Walmart supertech 15-40 over the cost and how much it drinks.

Whats say you guys?
The Supertech oil is fine.

This is how the setup looks once it’s mounted to the chassis.I was thinking of mounting the regulator on the chassis next to the fuel pump or do you guys think it would be better in the engine compartment in regard to the regulator?

The bracket worked out great from Amazon.Its the 50mm version and fit the lift pump perfectly.I’m waiting on one 90 degree AN fitting that goes at the bottom of the regulator.I had the fitting here at home but for the life of me I can’t find it.

The bottom fitting is the return side and can be connected to the return line on the chassis with a T fitting or you can connect it to the supply side feeding the engine.

I’m also waiting on a mechanical fuel pressure gauge to arrive as well.
Hey everyone.A couple days ago I finished up the fuel system upgrade on my 96 gmc.I know WILL suggested I put the regulator as close to the fuel pump as possible although I liked the idea of monitoring the mechanical fuel pressure gauge under the hood and make adjustments to the regulator as needed if I had to.In the pictures you’ll see a red fitting at the bottom of the regulator.Thats the return port going back to the tank.I have to say this is a very nice regulator and well built.I’d recommend it to anyone.

I relocated the fuel pump much closer to the tank and extended the wiring harness as any electric fuel pump works better pushing fuel vs pulling it.I had to put a couple layers of brown electrical tape to the body of the lift pump as it wasn’t quite tight enough within the fuel pump bracket once I tightened the pinch bolt.

As of now there are no leaks and the pressure directly at the injection pump is 11psi vs 3-4 psi like before.Its showing 14-15psi at the regulator but since fuel has to pass through two filters the pressure is slightly reduced to 11.This 7.3 lift pump puts out 43psi so lots of pressure behind it.I also bought a spare 7.3 lift pump just to have in case I need it sometime down the road.

I flared the ends of the supply steel line I have on the chassis so the fuel hose would not blow off because of the increase of pressure this 7.3 fuel pump delivers.The hose I’m using is also rated for 300psi working pressure.I also used some new fuel injection clamps as well.

Overall I’m pretty happy with this upgrade.Its definitely much better than the gm lift pump and I think the DS4 will definitely live much longer.

Attachments

• IMG_7924.jpeg
    IMG_7924.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7933.jpeg
    IMG_7933.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7930.jpeg
    IMG_7930.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7928.jpeg
    IMG_7928.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7927.jpeg
    IMG_7927.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7925.jpeg
    IMG_7925.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 14
Took the truck in for its annual tire rotation. Was stopped by the new manager, an employee and a customer to ask about the 1/2 ton diesel.
The employee (20-ish) said he didn't know they put diesels in 1/2 tons "way back then."

Great! Let me put on my grey ZZ Top beard and lean on a cane so I can talk about the "good old days."

If they'd all shown up at once, it would have saved retelling the history three times.

Regardless, that was fun.

Whats say you guys?
As to the noise- let it be and eventually problems announce themselves better.
This engine is a “meanwhile” one anyways. Treat it as such. Same for oil.
Penny pinch it and add as required. So long as that oil on the dipstick is oily not greasy gritty- run it. One of the cheap electric oil testers is probably a good answer here. The only way to really know for any engine is lab testing and thats pricy.
Many a 6.5 ran on 5,000 mile intervals when used as grocery getters. Work it hard and 3,000 is not often enough. So pinch pennies and fix the other truck. Then when it’s fixed and the wife calms down- start fixing this one.

A visit to the dealership with her is always good for a mental reset as to what expensive actually is.

Why d
Question for everyone. Can yall help me find the wire diagrams for a 93 6.5 and the TCM? I need to figure out how the factory cam position sensor works and what type of pulse it gives out. reason is I need a square wave rpm signal to feed to the EZ-TCI trans controller. it's connected to to alternator same as the factory tach is, but it gives a different signal. when used, I am getting 3600 rpm reading from the alternator at idle.

the factory cam sensor is on the engine but not connected. I found the factory connector but I don't know if this sensor (two wire) produces it's own signal or if it takes in a 5v or 12v signal and outputs a on/off pulse to send a signal to the factory TCM
on you just look at the more than 10 service manuals that I “GAVE“ you when you came to the house for all the extras that we had agreed to sell and stated specifically “was for sale“. Go ahead and live in your little fantasy about receiving $5K worth of parts for less than 2K. Don’t be too proud (stop bragging!) bc it will come crashing down on you. Good luck buddy.

Considering making a trip out to the pick a part yard this weekend to search out some odds and ends. I thought I would pop a question here. this 93 truck has those large square headlights, but used to have the quad sealed beams. I have in the parts slew, both of the quad sealed beam headlights with the mounting brackets. the wiring is still on the truck for them too. I was curious if the 95-99 grille will work with those quad sealed beams or if that grille was a one of a kind.

I figured I would see if I could spot a good grille out there though 95% of the time they are all broken or someone has already snagged them by the time I get there LOL.
I had a new grille but kept it. Would have been perfect for sealed beams!

As to the noise- let it be and eventually problems announce themselves better.
This engine is a “meanwhile” one anyways. Treat it as such. Same for oil.
Penny pinch it and add as required. So long as that oil on the dipstick is oily not greasy gritty- run it. One of the cheap electric oil testers is probably a good answer here. The only way to really know for any engine is lab testing and thats pricy.
Many a 6.5 ran on 5,000 mile intervals when used as grocery getters. Work it hard and 3,000 is not often enough. So pinch pennies and fix the other truck. Then when it’s fixed and the wife calms down- start fixing this one.

A visit to the dealership with her is always good for a mental reset as to what expensive actually is.
I kept the (FS2500 https://fs2500.com/), (I even had extra filters and the ‘often lost’ drain tube for samples), oil filter bc I was feeling ‘scammed’ but I have no one to blame but myself.
The FS2500 is available on the site right now and new it costs https://store.fs2500.com/gm65lenginekit-stainlessonly.aspx
I’m a sucker but I thought I was helping a young kid get into a dying hobby.

Why d

on you just look at the more than 10 service manuals that I “GAVE“ you when you came to the house for all the extras that we had agreed to sell and stated specifically “was for sale“. Go ahead and live in your little fantasy about receiving $5K worth of parts for less than 2K. Don’t be too proud (stop bragging!) bc it will come crashing down on you. Good luck buddy.
@deejaaa

First off I have no idea where this is coming from. there were no service manuals, only parts. on my last visit you did tell me there were some part you wanted to sell, you also said other items you were giving me that went to this truck. I asked for you to put aside what you were letting go with the truck and I would look at what you wanted to sell. You also had asked what all you wanted to sell over the phone before I made the last visit. you mentioned IP's and other more expensive parts.

When I showed up and we met at your ex's house, you started pulling things out of your garage and handing to me to load. nothing was said during the entire time I was there about wanting xx amount except for a piece of shop equipment which I declined. you handed me a truck load of items and kept pulling out more asking me "do you want this" after you were done pulling items out you told me "whatever I didn't want to take was going to the scrap yard"

you had to leave before I was fully strapped down, I said "I will meet you back at your RV" you specifically told me "It's going to be a while until I get back, you can wait if you want to" as respect not to mention at this point you still had not said anything about $$ I went back to your RV where you lived and waited for you to return. Upon your return there was hardly anything said other than you telling me "Well, that's it, if you have any questions to call you" I thanked you, shook your hand and left heading home.

a couple days later out of the blue you texted me about you had wanted to sell those parts and I basically took advantage of you. I texted you one last time apologizing if I had said or done something wrong. BUT here is the thing. you should have made it clear to me while I was standing in front of you what you wanted $$ for. Not allowing me to load everything you were handing me and leading me to think what you were handing me was to go with the truck.

Even as this all unfolded, you again should have said something to me at the time I went back and waited for you to return. We are both grown men, you could have even called me after we shook hands and I drove off if there was some kind of misunderstanding, but no you want to stoop low trying to sling dirt on me here.

spoke to my nephew about his 6.2 k2500. He got the new waterpump on and had a discussion with an officer for test driving a non licensed and uninsured truck on the street. Explained to him a rattle canned camouflage with a black 3 painted proudly on the hood and a 3x5 American flag on a pole tied to the inside rear of the bed was probably not the best way to go unnoticed.

After a little more conversation as to the gun store he worked at and some of the competition level AR’s he had built for some of the officer’s co workers, he gave him a stern warning and was very clear not to think the warning should in any way influence his pricing on any pew pews he has him build in the future.

This dang kid is 25-26 now, still doesn’t have a reliable truck daily yet and bounces between 2 motorcycles that both barely run and borrowing a car half the time! At least his collection of other metal things is big enough now he might slow down on them and get himself reliable transportation.

Guess I need to explain that part better where Jesus said if you don’t have a sword to sell your cloak to get one- dude thinks he needs a complete wardrobe and no sandals or food. Haha

Lucky bugger also said he was cleaning out the interior and in some spot behind/ under the seat he finds a new in the GM box db2. This is the truck that a Colorado mine let go of because it was barely running and bad ip was the assumption. I guess a mechanic gathered parts then they decided a turbo model was better to just buy. That YouTube video I posted of the insane air intrusion from horrible cracked rubber hoses- this is that truck. 1988 and something like 80,000 miles iirc.
He needs the truck but man I wish I kept it sometimes! It was gonna buy ot for $500 but offered to be given to me and I passed it on to him.

It still has that junk rectangular fuel filter system in it. He figures since he already bought a new filter he should at least run that until the problem begins. A new EP158 and some new sae30r9 and runs perfectly except the waterpump was leaking probably from sitting unused for so many years.

I gave him my spare balanced flow waterpump from Peninsular diesel take out. He didn’t listen and used the stupid gasket which slipped so he had to do it a second time. This time the right stuff and no leak- go figure.
Guess long sitting low mileage pump on the engine got me to thinking just now:
how long can a new pump sit on a shelf in the desert heat and dry climate and have seals stay good? Hmm - new thread time.

spoke to my nephew about his 6.2 k2500. He got the new waterpump on and had a discussion with an officer for test driving a non licensed and uninsured truck on the street. Explained to him a rattle canned camouflage with a black 3 painted proudly on the hood and a 3x5 American flag on a pole tied to the inside rear of the bed was probably not the best way to go unnoticed.

After a little more conversation as to the gun store he worked at and some of the competition level AR’s he had built for some of the officer’s co workers, he gave him a stern warning and was very clear not to think the warning should in any way influence his pricing on any pew pews he has him build in the future.

This dang kid is 25-26 now, still doesn’t have a reliable truck daily yet and bounces between 2 motorcycles that both barely run and borrowing a car half the time! At least his collection of other metal things is big enough now he might slow down on them and get himself reliable transportation.

Guess I need to explain that part better where Jesus said if you don’t have a sword to sell your cloak to get one- dude thinks he needs a complete wardrobe and no sandals or food. Haha

Lucky bugger also said he was cleaning out the interior and in some spot behind/ under the seat he finds a new in the GM box db2. This is the truck that a Colorado mine let go of because it was barely running and bad ip was the assumption. I guess a mechanic gathered parts then they decided a turbo model was better to just buy. That YouTube video I posted of the insane air intrusion from horrible cracked rubber hoses- this is that truck. 1988 and something like 80,000 miles iirc.
He needs the truck but man I wish I kept it sometimes! It was gonna buy ot for $500 but offered to be given to me and I passed it on to him.

It still has that junk rectangular fuel filter system in it. He figures since he already bought a new filter he should at least run that until the problem begins. A new EP158 and some new sae30r9 and runs perfectly except the waterpump was leaking probably from sitting unused for so many years.

I gave him my spare balanced flow waterpump from Peninsular diesel take out. He didn’t listen and used the stupid gasket which slipped so he had to do it a second time. This time the right stuff and no leak- go figure.
Guess long sitting low mileage pump on the engine got me to thinking just now:
how long can a new pump sit on a shelf in the desert heat and dry climate and have seals stay good? Hmm - new thread time.
Nice find on the new DB2.I once found two new pencil DB2 pumps for our 5.7 diesel some 15 yrs ago.It was definitely wonderful to come across those.Definitely like finding a needle in a hay stack.

Today I ventured out to the pick a part yard and found a unmolested GM large bore steering gear box for the 95. it still had the GM sticker on it with the part number, but it pealed off when I power washed it. GM part number 26068771.

I cleaned it up and flushed out the fluid that was in it on the bench. tried to feel the gear lash play by holding the steering shaft pinion in place while applying pressure on the pitman shaft pinion. there was a little play but as i turned the steering pinion in different positions and re-checking, the play was the same, left lock, center, and right lock. unlike I remember how the box is that is on my truck now. gets stiff in the center and then sloppy the further out to left or right lock. spinning it back n fourth felt smooth and moved with ease.

I am reluctant to even attempt opening it up for a rebuild and leaning more towards just installing it as is and see what it does and if my steering gets any better.

My wife's grandparents had what they called the "family"car. it was a 1972 Toyota Corona. I guess Toyota named it after the beer LOL. it had a straight 6 with a 3 speed auto, even had ac! the seats were covered in blankets.... They would drive that car all over the place and wouldn't hesitate to jump in it and take a 10 hour drive from San Antonio straight to somewhere near Mexico City. The interior was horrid compared to others. No headliner left, only remnants of carpet is once had. One day I for whatever reason got curious after they stopped driving, wondering what kind of condition the seats were in. I pealed I think three layers of old blankets up and a extremely old rotted seat cover only to see nothing but wire and springs!! no fabric, no foam, it looked like an old mattress after it's been in a fire where the only thing left is the metal! But that dam car would run!

This in primer grey.
1712544564752.jpeg

Back