• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

How are they while driving. that LED looks like it's a concentrated beam where nothing around it would be illuminated. I know I'm just being picky but I kinda like having the ground in front of the truck lit up and some on both sides up to maybe 8-10 around the front end with the majority beaming out. Then again it might just be how the camera picked up the image and lighting I'm seeing.

So what's the consensus on which gasket maker I should use in place of the valve cover gaskets? I was looking at the permatex "the right stuff" but see there are several different ones to choose from.

So what's the consensus on which gasket maker I should use in place of the valve cover gaskets? I was looking at the permatex "the right stuff" but see there are several different ones to choose from.
I used the fast set. The only issue I had was you have to be fast.
I followed instructions posted years ago.
Chris recently posted how he does it. Could have been him that posts the how to or how did years ago

I see most of them are 1 hour set time
The thick black stuff.
I didnt know there was a difference and wound up with a cheeze spread can of grey. It was not as thick and tended to sort of run.
Second round was with the thicker black stuff, and, spreading some on the flingers and wiping it about a 1/4” thick on the back sealing ridge of the head seemed to do the trick. Sealed up them rocker covers.

How are they while driving. that LED looks like it's a concentrated beam where nothing around it would be illuminated. I know I'm just being picky but I kinda like having the ground in front of the truck lit up and some on both sides up to maybe 8-10 around the front end with the majority beaming out. Then again it might just be how the camera picked up the image and lighting I'm seeing.
Haven't driven with them yet. Got everything ready to button up but, promised my grandson he could help put it back together so I'll wait. Should be done today or tomorrow. Vertical adjustment was done at 25’ w/ a two inch drop from level. Turn signals are bagged in bubble wrap to protect them because I can’t secure them to the grille just yet. I planned this morning on driving over to where I can put the beams against a big wall to confirm settings. Then, ideally, I can figure out the lateral adjustments since you CANNOT make them with the units installed. Horizontal ‘only’ requires the grille to come out. So, see where they are and should they need to adjust (of course they will), come home and shine on a wall at a closer distance, pull them out, adjusting a couple of turns, install, check where they are… Repeat as needed. Hope this makes sense.

Waiting on zip ties, wall checks and, of course, my underpaid grandson.
IMG_8406.JPG

DRL
IMG_8408.JPG

Turn Signal Activated
IMG_8410.JPG

Big-T and I have been texting about cleaning air filters and as it turns out, we both use the AFE Magnum Pro Dry 21-40507 filters. I looked at mine and thought, that could use a bath. One place said to just beat it to death (kidding) to get the dirt out. Another said it could be washed. AFE's site is oddly quiet on the technique so, like my SoB, er S&B, I hit it liberally with a 1:1 Dawn and H20 mix, light brushing, rinse and repeat. Ugliness gone. AFE sells a cleaner but, you know, $$$.

It is sitting over an air register getting air dried. Do not use compressed air on a wet filter to 'help' dry it out faster.
IMG_8401.JPG

IMG_8400.JPG

IMG_8402.JPG

IMG_8405.JPG

This is the stuff I found. I looked at our local Napa and low n behold there out of stock! so I looked on the jungle site and see this I can have delivered by tomorrow evening. they show the cheese wiz of the one minute and some tubes of the 90 minute which would be best?

I'd assume I'd need only one 7oz can or two tubes. just not sure which I should use as I have not used this stuff before. only regular RTV silicone.

1698324000987.png1698324015973.png

Well I was chatting with Paveltolz about the air filters because the ‘94 was bogging down at higher rpm. It felt like an air flow restriction, though the turbo was still boosting and it was not blowing black smoke. I finally got around to looking at the air filter (Heath cold air intake) and it looked like it had been collapsing:
IMG_0884.jpegIMG_0886.jpegIMG_0885.jpeg
I checked the AFE site which said they were cleanable, but they were silent as to how. So Paveltolz to the rescue. I will work on cleaning mine today.

Filter is fine. Just needs to be cleaned. New AFE unit costs $68 on their site. Amazon marketers have them a bit higher. Heath Diesel/Diesel Site no longer markets this Gen II set up, opting instead act as distributors (along with everyone else) for the SoB/S&B unit.

In other news, the LED lights are complete. Driving this morning they seemed a little cross-eyed as there wasn’t much side coverage. So, no warning for an animal or any hapless pedestrians stepping onto the road.
IMG_8411.jpeg

Looking down and checking the hood and lens alignment seems to confirm the need to move them outwards.
IMG_8412.jpeg

Grandson came upstairs asking ‘what time do we start Ops?’ My little trooper. 'IMG_8416.jpeg

We did the remove, adjust, check, adjust and re-attach dance. Wonderfull design concept making the adjusters inaccessible once the unit was installed and grille back on.
IMG_8417.jpeg

IMG_8418.jpeg

Then, when it came time to put the grille on…No Joy. The design for housings is such that they are about a 1/4 inch too far to the inside and the headlight openings in the grille wouldn’t clear them.
IMG_8428.jpeg

IMG_8425.jpeg

Well, not w/o cutting the grille opening anyway. I wanted to use my nicer billet inserts grill but not experimenting on that one so, went back to the older temp unit I pulled from the strip yard so I could go full on Dr. Frank-en-steen / Frankenstein

IMG_8427.jpeg

That seemed too have worked but, there has to be a better solution and I hope another company takes the chance.
IMG_8429.jpeg

I also stumbled across this on the jungle site. I wonder if this will help loosen and tighten the IP lines under the intake since I have to pull it all apart.

1698343341374.png

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I also stumbled across this on the jungle site. I wonder if this will help loosen and tighten the IP lines under the intake since I have to pull it all apart.

View attachment 84205
Save your $$. Get an inexpensive 19 MM Box End wrench from Lowe's or ACE, cut out to resemble what the tool's hex end looks like and it'll work just fine. Ok, maybe the same cost but, the wrench works just fine. You only need about a 1/2 to 3/4 turn to get them loose enough to remove by hand anyway.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Filter is fine. Just needs to be cleaned. New AFE unit costs $68 on their site. Amazon marketers have them a bit higher. Heath Diesel/Diesel Site no longer markets this Gen II set up, opting instead act as distributors (along with everyone else) for the SoB/S&B unit.

In other news, the LED lights are complete. Driving this morning they seemed a little cross-eyed as there wasn’t much side coverage. So, no warning for an animal or any hapless pedestrians stepping onto the road.
View attachment 84182

Looking down and checking the hood and lens alignment seems to confirm the need to move them outwards.
View attachment 84198

Grandson came upstairs asking ‘what time do we start Ops?’ My little trooper. 'View attachment 84183

We did the remove, adjust, check, adjust and re-attach dance. Wonderfull design concept making the adjusters inaccessible once the unit was installed and grille back on.
View attachment 84199

View attachment 84200

Then, when it came time to put the grille on…No Joy. The design for housings is such that they are about a 1/4 inch too far to the inside and the headlight openings in the grille wouldn’t clear them.
View attachment 84203

View attachment 84201

Well, not w/o cutting the grille opening anyway. I wanted to use my nicer billet inserts grill but not experimenting on that one so, went back to the older temp unit I pulled from the strip yard so I could go full on Dr. Frank-en-steen / Frankenstein

View attachment 84202

That seemed too have worked but, there has to be a better solution and I hope another company takes the chance.
View attachment 84204
Should be able to move the housings side-to-side a bit by loosening the 4 mounting bolts. I alway experience some interference with the grill, but some shimmy and shake gets it there.

Should be able to move the housings side-to-side a bit by loosening the 4 mounting bolts. I alway experience some interference with the grill, but some shimmy and shake gets it there.
Key word there is 'Should.' Tried moving them and, yeah, this set wasn't playing. Getting one side close to cooperating created the 1/4" over lap on the other side.

Well I was chatting with Paveltolz about the air filters because the ‘94 was bogging down at higher rpm. It felt like an air flow restriction, though the turbo was still boosting and it was not blowing black smoke. I finally got around to looking at the air filter (Heath cold air intake) and it looked like it had been collapsing:
Not so sure that is a salvageable filter at this point.
Generally crushed filter pleats allows bypassing so the filter gets replaced.
That’s why when buying a reusable filter you invest in a filter gauge

Not so sure that is a salvageable filter at this point.
Generally crushed filter pleats allows bypassing so the filter gets replaced.
That’s why when buying a reusable filter you invest in a filter gauge
Filter under the screen is in tact. The screen material is metal and bent.

I cleaned it and had to further blow out the bottom of each pleat with compressed air. Each pleat held dried mud, infused with dog hair and leaves. Once cleaned, I took it on a test drive and it’s back to normal.

I cleaned it and had to further blow out the bottom of each pleat with compressed air. Each pleat held dried mud, infused with dog hair and leaves. Once cleaned, I took it on a test drive and it’s back to normal.
So, a little of the hair of the dog that bit you? 🤣 🤣🤣

So, a little of the hair of the dog that bit you? 🤣 🤣🤣
Yep, it was rather disgusting. I will note that I was gifted this truck. My son installed that Heath air cleaner. I recalled that Paveltolz had the same air cleaner, thus I texted that retired old grandpa for help and suggestions. I had my son drive it a couple weeks back and he thought the truck was bogging down at higher rpm due to air flow restriction, so he called it. I subsequently found it and addressed it.

Last edited:

Yes and the filter has the same metal screen on the inside. No indication that dirt had passed through the filter.

Well I got home this evening and waited for a while to allow the engine to cool off some before I started tearing into it. It didn't take very long at all to pull the intake off and get to the covers. it seems I am becoming a pro at this!!

took the $8 19mm wrench I ordered off the jungle site and cut a small section out of the box end just large enough to fit the IP lines through and tried loosening the line nuts...... slip, nope that didn't work out too well. the box opened up. so I proceeded with my open end I and used before. it took some patience but I got all the IP lines off and out of the way.

Now for the covers.... I started on the passenger side since it was the worst offender. I had parked the truck under the covering in the front driveway back some so I had room to work and noticed when I started this adventure there was a softball size puddle under the engine about the starter area that had accumulated since arriving home today!!

got the cover removed, it came off with ease. As soon as I removed the last bolt, the cover came off. flipped it over to have a looksee...

Naw, nuttin wrong here.... LOL

IMG_4630.jpg

After seeing this and being that it's dark and I'm working under a single drop light, I decided to call it quits here and continue tomorrow during the day time.

Back