• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Yeah I believe Y'all are right. part number 10094705 is what I got off of it. my truck doesn't have DRL's do I pulled it off the dash. besides I have LED's in the housings so that wouldn't work anyway.

Just got done painting all the odds and ends. I ended up pulling my front cowling that houses the drives dash vents and covers the ac controls, radio and gauge cluster and cleaning and painting it. I had already trimmed it up to fit my stereo (double din) so I don't have to cut up the one for this new dash. I'm not sure what I want to do down the road for a stereo and if I end up finding something to better fit a 1.5 din space, I will still have a un-molested cowling.

Well, here's some photos of today's adventure. I will admit, it got a little messy there for a bit, but she's coming together nicely. I did use a tad too light of a beige color, but it's better than having a blue dash LOL. Now I am just waiting for the Amazon delivery van, I ordered a mic for my stereo so I can actually use my hands free talking. once that arrives, I will get the bezel installed and the steering column. I still have the dash vents drying.

IMG_4588.jpg
IMG_4594.jpg

IMG_4591.jpg
IMG_4592.jpg
IMG_4593.jpg

Well, here's some photos of today's adventure. I will admit, it got a little messy there for a bit, but she's coming together nicely. I did use a tad too light of a beige color, but it's better than having a blue dash LOL. Now I am just waiting for the Amazon delivery van, I ordered a mic for my stereo so I can actually use my hands free talking. once that arrives, I will get the bezel installed and the steering column. I still have the dash vents drying.

View attachment 83926
View attachment 83930

View attachment 83927
View attachment 83928
View attachment 83929
That's awesome work. The first picture with everything laying out like a gutted cow is the stuff of my nightmares. You're hired.

Fun day. Light got a little dim around 10:30 local time.
IMG_8335.JPGResized_Resized_20231014_102734 (Edited).jpeg

Got the last leaf spring out. Passenger side fought all the way. Had to cut out the forward bolt. Rust/welded to the bushing. Scraped, degreased and steam cleaned all the rusted areas back there on the frame and diff. so I can apply POR 15 and top coat on Monday.
IMG_8340.JPG

Old 4" lift BDS units. Free. Come and get 'em cause I'm not shipping . You'll need a new front bushing. It spins but, the bolt is not budging...what's left of it anyway.
IMG_8338.JPG

"New" units and hardware (box) on the garage floor... waiting there for a few years for me to get up the courage.
IMG_8339.JPG

After they got back from chasing the eclipse, grandkids helping get the Plastic/HyperDip off last years winter tires for the other diesel (which has been in the shop waiting on a DPF since 3 Aug).
IMG_8344.JPG

Later...they were supposedly 'helping' with the leaves.
IMG_8352 (Edited).jpg
Hey, they wanted a pile to jump in so I said, 'rake 'em up then.' They did. I'm sure I violated several child labor laws but, at least some of the leaves are in one area now.

Here is the almost finished product. I still have the passenger side dash top cup older the get installed along with the passenger dash vents. got it together enough to venture out in town for some dinner!

IMG_4595.jpgIMG_4596.jpg

durring the day I got to see the eclipse, pretty wild. I took a pic of the concrete slab and pavement behind my truck where the sun was shining through the trees. it was wild to see how the sun was beaming the rays through to cast this shadow. normally the sun hitting this tree only casts a huge shade, and this tree is fully loaded with leaves!

one thing I also noticed was while I'm in the cab working on the dash with the truck under a carport cover in the shade. my glasses are the type that change darker as the suns UV light hits them.... with me in the cab working (no sun hitting the truck) my glasses had turned so dark combined with the eclipse, I was having trouble seeing what I was doing in the cab! I had to take a break LOL.

IMG_4586.jpg
IMG_4587.jpg

Well, I went on a trip into town to the grocery store today. the sun was out and I found out real quick like about my mistake for using gloss paint on the new dash! reflections into the windshield! LOL as soon as the paint is cured well enough I will be putting the carpet dash pad back over the dash! I will give it about a week to cure.

OK, completed the 1,200+ mile drive from Stevensville, Montana to Fullerton, California in the ‘99 K2500 Suburban.

* Brakes are awesome. Every improvement I’ve done — new proportion valve, new larger rear brake pistons, GMT-800 front brake conversion — is now showing it’s full effect after I replaced the rear brake shoes and drums. It stops like a beast.

* After working on Friday, the ABS light came on after rolling forward on our early am departure on Saturday. Stayed on all day. They on Sunday, after fueling up in Spanish Fork, Utah, the ABS light was off and stayed that way until I topped off with diesel ($4.299) at the Costco north of St. George, Utah. Had to fuel up there as diesel is over $6 a gallon in California.

* Calculated mileage at 16.9696 mpg, call it 17 mpg. Not bad given that I was averaging 75 to 82 mph.

* Truck ran great, but I have front tire pulse at 55+ mph. Inside tread has sawtooth wear. I’m thinking tire balance as the truck runs straight true and all the suspension is tight. This is enough to cause a pulsating hum in the driver’s door top of the window frame and shake the aftermarket mirrors. I have replace all hinge bushings and pins, as well as door latch and latch pin.

* Did I say the brakes stop like a beast?

went into town tonight for some dinner from yard bird central (Chicken Express). I was amazed at how much quieter the cab noises were. I guess that old dash had a lot of rattles in it. I also noticed that my WTS light is not working anymore. at first I thought I must have blown the glow plug fuse during the process, but I soon realized at the drive though window when I turned on the key I could hear my lift pump working for a few seconds and stops, telling me the glow plugs are working and the bulb in the cluster is out.

I will add that to the list of to do's. to pull the cluster back out and replace the bulb.

Not much, fired it up (it complained, a lot) drove it to the other side of the yard, parked it there.
That thing is such a piece of junk, I just cannot explain why I like it so much, something about the way these engines clatter away contentedly, it’s a very soothing rattle. 😂😂

went into town tonight for some dinner from yard bird central (Chicken Express). I was amazed at how much quieter the cab noises were. I guess that old dash had a lot of rattles in it. I also noticed that my WTS light is not working anymore. at first I thought I must have blown the glow plug fuse during the process, but I soon realized at the drive though window when I turned on the key I could hear my lift pump working for a few seconds and stops, telling me the glow plugs are working and the bulb in the cluster is out.

I will add that to the list of to do's. to pull the cluster back out and replace the bulb.
I need to do the sound deadening on both my Suburbans, especially the ‘99.

Finished the rust treatment on the rest of the differential. Top coats of paint on everything (sub-frame for tire hoist and braces, shock mount points, leaf spring mounts and ladder bar attachment points).
IMG_8358.JPG
IMG_8367.JPG
IMG_8356.JPG

Never did care for the way I put the Chrome exhaust tip on many years ago. Looked like it stuck out too far so, cut it off and replaced it between coats of POR-15.
IMG_8360.JPGIMG_8361.JPG

I would have ventured to do more but, got distracted...again.
IMG_8363.JPG

Tomorrow, the Leaf Springs and Shocks go in.

Satin Black covered things nicely.IMG_8369.JPG

All buttoned up, torqued down.
IMG_8372.JPG

Just followed the instructions. May not have been 'so easy a cave man could do it but, I did saved over $500 doing it myself vs. chickening out and handing it over to a shop (and I didn't have to switch to GEICO). Plus got all the side work done.
IMG_8374.JPG

Ride height back to "normal" AKA boring looking.
IMG_8375.JPG

Satin Black covered things nicely.View attachment 84043

View attachment 84042

Just followed the instructions. May not have been 'so easy a cave man could do it but, I did saved over $500 doing it myself vs. chickening out and handing it over to a shop (and I didn't have to switch to GEICO). Plus got all the side work done.
View attachment 84041

View attachment 84040
Nice looking ride.

Satin Black covered things nicely.View attachment 84043

View attachment 84042

View attachment 84041

View attachment 84040
Is that a 14-bolt full floater?

Is that a 14-bolt full floater?
Good question. 14 Bolts Yes.
Full Floater…Don’t know. I even had to look up ‘Full Floater’

Went to take it for a drive and no joy. New Optimizer’s are dead. Turns out the hood lamp wasn’t shutting off when the the hood lowered. Unknown to me) the hood lamp was bent upwards by the supports used when I did the repainting. I had damaged the ground strap removing the hood and between jobs and cure times for the POR-15 finally repaired the strap so the light would come on…I never realized I t just never went of and remained on too long. Oh well. Drive tomorrow.

Last edited:
Looks like I need to address my valve covers soon, it seems the oil leak is getting worse. Oil dripping off the frame and cross member up front. I just hate to have to go back in tearing everything down again. I managed to get all the IP lines off and back on with a open end wrench, but it wasn't easy.

what tool do you guys recommend to remove and install the IP lines from the back of the IP? I forget what size wrench I used, would a open end claws foot be best?

Back