• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Ya'll would laugh at my tiny 3" bench vice LOL. I will probably go pick up a c clamp from harbor freight when I do them.
Seriously bro every man needs a bench vise, keep a look out for a good old one at garage sales or something, not sure I trust the newer ones as much. I’ve picked up several old 4” English-made Record vises for under $15 each, and I can get by with those but I’m still waiting for a 6” to show up since I broke the last one I had (it was a Chinese thing). 😂

Yeah I have broken a couple getting too jiggy with the hammer LOL

I went out to try and adjust the headlight on the passenger side and found out real quick like the up / down adjustment screw striped out! ended up using some pliers and vice grips to get it to move some. not sure if I should order just new adjustment screws or replace the housings all together.

I might just venture out to the pick a part yard and see if I can score a pair of nice ones. I have a small list of other things I need to look for to make the trip worth while now that the weather has cooled off some!

Adjusted my headlights. Been meaning to do it for over a year!
Good to be able to see at night again...
Got my new dash in 2 weeks ago, ordered all new dash a/c vents for it, also a new speedo since mine doesn't work correctly.
I've tried a couple I've had in the garage, they don't work properly but they're all off in different ways.
I've cleaned and lubed both cables. (79, has the cruise master transducer under the hood).
If its still off I'll go to a single cable and eliminate the transducer completely. It doesn't work anyway.

The page is acting funny. Won't let me edit.
I greased every oil change 3-5,000 miles until I switched to
Adjusted my headlights. Been meaning to do it for over a year!
Good to be able to see at night again...
Got my new dash in 2 weeks ago, ordered all new dash a/c vents for it, also a new speedo since mine doesn't work correctly.
I've tried a couple I've had in the garage, they don't work properly but they're all off in different ways.
I've cleaned and lubed both cables. (79, has the cruise master transducer under the hood).
If its still off I'll go to a single cable and eliminate the transducer completely. It doesn't work anyway.
No pictures of you in the new speedo. Please

Wired in an LED Dimmer to the OEM Dimmer circuit to get better control on the either on or off AutoMeter pillar gauge lights. The OEM dimmer circuit just couldn't bring them down to a comfortable level before just shutting them off completely. Used the AutoMeter branded switch figuring by keeping things in the family the chances of success would be better and, I'm not disappointed. Dash is all back together and I'm preparing for the next project...swapping out the 4" lift rear springs and returning to OEM units and new rear shocks.

Had both Lo beams go out on separate days. Driver’s side HID ballast gave it, so I ordered a new off Amazon which arrived Thursday. New ballast fixed the driver’s side. While working on the passenger side, the low started to come on, then finally the bulb gave it up. New bulb fixed that. Should be good to go for the trip down to SoCal.

While waiting for the first coat to dry. I was looking at the dash and found this odd heatsink box underneath Googling the number on it apparently it’s some kind of resistor rectifier module thingamagig. I’m curious but I don’t think my truck has one of these. Anyone know what it’s for?

IMG_4584.jpeg
IMG_4583.jpeg

Got three decent coats on the replacement dash. now moving on to the trim parts, glove box and other things that take more time and detail.

hopefully I can start pulling the old dash out in the morning and install this one. not sure how much of a PIA the wire harness will be to fish out and in the new dash, but I will be finding out soon!!

as long as I can get the old one out and the main part installed with the steering column in so the truck can be driven, I can take my time on the rest buttoning it all up.

While waiting for the first coat to dry. I was looking at the dash and found this odd heatsink box underneath Googling the number on it apparently it’s some kind of resistor rectifier module thingamagig. I’m curious but I don’t think my truck has one of these. Anyone know what it’s for?

View attachment 83917
View attachment 83918
Giving us that P/N would help us identify it and what it's purpose is for for you so much easier than "module thingamajig". It may be the voltage drop unit for your DRL's if so equipped, as you'd need to dissipate a lot of heat for the resistance to voltage drop a pair of 55W bulbs. Of course, unless specifically designed to do so, LED Hi-Beam bulbs won't illuminate on the lower voltage of the DRL at a dimmer output.

Back