• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replacement turbo

The turbo is a direct replacement, I have no regrets. I just hauled about a 12k-13k load, combined weight approx 27-28k. EGT never went over 1050*F, it was quite a hilly hwy. and I maintained a min. of 55 mph and I never went over 10 psi boost. It will easily hit 15 psi if I push it. I would never go back. Leo

The turbo is a direct replacement, I have no regrets. I just hauled about a 12k-13k load, combined weight approx 27-28k. EGT never went over 1050*F, it was quite a hilly hwy. and I maintained a min. of 55 mph and I never went over 10 psi boost. It will easily hit 15 psi if I push it. I would never go back. Leo

Leo,

What kind of fuel economy did you get towing?

Hey Guys,
Is there a web site where I can purchase an A-Team Turbo set up? I'm right in the middle of a rebuild and both motors are side by side. I need a new turbo and radiator. As far as the radiator is concerned, is there a bigger one that helps with cooling, my other 6.5 that locked up (roller lifter broke which in return locked up my cam which broke my timing chain and the engine died on the side of the road pulling my boat back from the lake). Since I'm in the middle of doing a rebuild, got any ideas on parts that I might have over looked?

I have 18:1 Mahl Pistons
New Cam
New Roller lifters
New Push rods
New water pump
Motor has been decked 0.007 of an inch 90 degrees parallel with the crank
New heads (not rebuilt - that have the intake bolt holes drilled 73 degrees
Intake Manifold modified to work with the new heads
2 block heaters, one on each side of the motor
Already installed 4" Exhaust

I'm including some pictures of the rebuild.

Welcome to the forum Roy! I have one question. Are you a Canadian living in the US? :D Most of us here on the forum know what I am talking about. A lot of the guy's from Canada have bright colors on their engines.

Leo,

What kind of fuel economy did you get towing?

Unknown Rodd, it was a 100 mile round trip but I never fueled it up after and it has been driven since. I can say that I think it has improved loaded and unloaded. Leo

Unknown Rodd, it was a 100 mile round trip but I never fueled it up after and it has been driven since. I can say that I think it has improved loaded and unloaded. Leo

I towed a 20,000 lb trailer tractor combo back in the summer for 1000 miles in highway and city, I averaged 11 mpg for the whole trip, the fifth wheel was hooked up 90 percent of the time with a full load. Like NVW I would never go back, our trucks run sweet with 10 psi boost and very little exhaust restriction. They tend to run real nice after cleaning them out with a nice heavy haul.

I think once I make my box for the k&n filter my EGT's will go down even more, then I'll be able to push it a bit. I know you can go 1200*F IAT's pre turbo but I get worried at anything over 1000*F. With my scanner hooked up in summer it's easy to get 250*F IAT's pulling. I should just steal the air box off my 98 but then it would never get done. I have an aversion to opening that engine up in a welding shop.:eek: Leo

Welcome to the forum Roy! I have one question. Are you a Canadian living in the US? Most of us here on the forum know what I am talking about. A lot of the guy's from Canada have bright colors on their engines.

Thanks! I'm glad I joined. Lots of useful information on this site. Nope. I was born and raised in Texas. I've always liked my engines to be Chevy Orange or just a bright color. GM's motors are black and that's just to boring for me.
):h

nice to see another fort worth-er here. got my ATT on the way. run 11.5 mpg w/ 8k lb load, just changed to 373's and want to see ATT difference.

Hey Ferminator somewhere in this post is some data, but basically so far I'm well pleased without the IC on it, hottest temp I've seen on IAT has been 198 at 10 psi & that was about 100 mph give or take some, made a tow to Iowa to help flood victims last year, enclosed 16' trailer about 7000# she was cool as cucumber at WOT hill climbs, but that was with IC. Last fall I dropped the IC off & got better performance, still need to move the backhoe on hot summer day to know if I'm going to sell the IC set up rite now it's on a shelf.

I'm thinking a WMI with temp over boost to activate when towing big should be sufficient and would spray so infrequently you would not need a very big storage tank, will know more when we get those 95+F & 100% humidity days South Ms & Ga are famous for you know same ones you got there in Fl. No data yet to say 100% yay or ney if it will need IAT reduction, at what I've run thus far it hasn't been an issue.

hmmmm..... maybe my next mod......

I'd really like to make that LBZ turbo I have work though, just for fun.... need to start researching the vane controls again.

I got embarassed because Matuva had a turbo shipped all the way to New Caledonia and installed and mine is still sitting on the Dining Room table. Damn the weather. After I recover from shoulder surgery the weather will be better and on it will go.

No worries buddy, as I was told by NVM, patience is a virtue :smile5:

And, you better take your time to do things right instead of rushing and making mistakes.

I know what you mean about weather: it's been raining till friday and the all week-end, could not do anything on the truck, and wasn't able to do all the test I was willing to--:prrr:

I got embarassed because Matuva had a turbo shipped all the way to New Caledonia and installed and mine is still sitting on the Dining Room table. Damn the weather. After I recover from shoulder surgery the weather will be better and on it will go.

Matuva is in the tropic. Weather tends to be milder to work. It won't be below 32F. The worst weather is too hot or too much rain.

Back