• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replacement turbo

Well I've rebuilt the stock turbo twice so I was thinking the kit might be similar. Assuming that one is available.

Well I've rebuilt the stock turbo twice so I was thinking the kit might be similar. Assuming that one is available.

No rebuild kits right now: if they are needed down the line, they can be had. The turbo shaft is balanced as an assembly, the gm turbo has the pieces balanced independently. The assembly would have to be marked and put back together in the exact same position. The assembly should last indefinitely with clean oil changes, the turbo does not work as hard as the Gm eight, it flows more cfm than the gm eigth so less rpm on the shaft equals longer life.

Last edited:
I got embarassed because Matuva had a turbo shipped all the way to New Caledonia and installed and mine is still sitting on the Dining Room table. Damn the weather. After I recover from shoulder surgery the weather will be better and on it will go.

If you want a hand, give me a shout when you go to install it.
I am in Wilmington. I'm still relatively new to diesels, but definately not new to turbos or working under hoods.
I'd also like to see what this turbo involves. I have a few things to do to mine first, but will definately be looking for a turbo upgrade eventually.

If you want a hand, give me a shout when you go to install it.
I am in Wilmington. I'm still relatively new to diesels, but definately not new to turbos or working under hoods.
I'd also like to see what this turbo involves. I have a few things to do to mine first, but will definately be looking for a turbo upgrade eventually.

Hey guybb3, I live In worcester, ma too. Its nice to know you guys are in Mass!!! I didn't know this before!

Wow

I'm new to the site. I've been reading for a bit but this is my first post. Used to spend a lot of time at another site but...
I just spent the last few hours reading this thread. Wow, amazing work!!! It is refreshing to read a forum that has members so involved in trying new things. (if i read another post about pmd issues...) Congrats Slim Shady and all that were involved. Excellent work:D
I have a K1500 that I primarily use as a daily driver. I do not tow very often. Most of the reviews seem to be from people who pull often. I've read the GM-8 is better off the line. Has there been any further news about a modified heath ECU to address this. Not to say I'm looking for a race turbo, but I do a lot of light to light. With my use of the truck, would you say this would be a good choice or stick with the GM-8. How does the turbo sound? Not to sound childish, but I really like the sound of the GM-8 with 4in straight pipe and wouldn't want to loose the obnoxious sound of my truck. I like setting of car alarms as I drive through the city. :D Thanks again

Matt B and 96TD, at the very least, I will give you guys a yell when I get it on. I promised JoeyD a look as well. We Massholes have to stick :yuck:together.

Well, I don't tow often either.
I choose that ATT after reviewing all the job done by Tim and Dennis for testing and improving this turbo.

I'm not a racer too, but really, I appreciate a lot having the truck responding faster and easier at low rpms now.

About the sound, the ATT seems to be a bit more "quiet" than my previous GM-5, whistling less, though I can still hear it. But, if you look for nice rumble, believe me, you won't be disappointed.

I have a straight pipe with a silverline resonator, and most of guys think now I get a gasser.
It's hard to find words to describe the rumble : louder, more powerful, but at the same time not agressive. You have the feeling that this a the purr of a beast, feeling that behind this rumble is hidden a good source of power and torque.
Never heard a tiger purring, but that should be pretty close ):h

I gave my turbo the nick name of "Woa" : each time I start my engine for people to listen, they say Woa!, open the hood and show the turbo, Woa! again, take them for a drive, and Woa! :D

Well, I don't tow often either.
I choose that ATT after reviewing all the job done by Tim and Dennis for testing and improving this turbo.

I'm not a racer too, but really, I appreciate a lot having the truck responding faster and easier at low rpms now.

About the sound, the ATT seems to be a bit more "quiet" than my previous GM-5, whistling less, though I can still hear it. But, if you look for nice rumble, believe me, you won't be disappointed.

I have a straight pipe with a silverline resonator, and most of guys think now I get a gasser.
It's hard to find words to describe the rumble : louder, more powerful, but at the same time not agressive. You have the feeling that this a the purr of a beast, feeling that behind this rumble is hidden a good source of power and torque.
Never heard a tiger purring, but that should be pretty close ):h

I gave my turbo the nick name of "Woa" : each time I start my engine for people to listen, they say Woa!, open the hood and show the turbo, Woa! again, take them for a drive, and Woa! :D

Now thats funny! Woa!

You standard shift Mutava?

BTW, awesome pix in your garage.

X2 Matuva,
I've been reading your posts for years, thought I knew your truck pretty well just from the way you talk about it, but I didn't even realize what color it was. Didn't really care, to be honest with you. But Matt's post made me take a look...Wow! I absolutely love that color combination. It looks beautiful, and it must be pretty rare too. Good job keeping it such nice shape. Wish mine looked half as good, but unfortunately the rigors of being a work/plow truck, and always being out in the salt are taking it's toll. I need to replace some sheetmetal and repaint soon. But I haven't given up, it'll be a good looking truck again someday.
Again, big thumbs up on that sweet looking truck!

not sure on "off the line", due to the fact I just changed to 373's. HOWEVER---I told dennis, on my rig when I hit about 2100 rpm's this turbo pulls smooth and very hard over the gm. this is truck only-have load going north soon and I'm anxious to see how she pulls loaded. normal cruising egt's have dropped about 50 degrees averaged. best mod I've done so far.

not sure on "off the line", due to the fact I just changed to 373's. HOWEVER---I told dennis, on my rig when I hit about 2100 rpm's this turbo pulls smooth and very hard over the gm. this is truck only-have load going north soon and I'm anxious to see how she pulls loaded. normal cruising egt's have dropped about 50 degrees averaged. best mod I've done so far.

I am looking forward to hearing the results from your pull. When I pulled the 20,000 LB load it was nice and smooth,the engine came alive after a nice long pull, you are going to like the sound of the exhaust when pulling.

I am looking forward to hearing the results from your pull. When I pulled the 20,000 LB load it was nice and smooth,the engine came alive after a nice long pull, you are going to like the sound of the exhaust when pulling.

The exhaust definitely has a throaty rumble.
Leo​

The exhaust definitely has a throaty rumble.
Leo​

The little towns we went through at night didn't like me with that exhaust rumble. We stopped in to get something to eat at one place and the waitress said: loud truck, sounded like a big rig truck. They wondered what a big truck was doing back in their neck of the woods at night. :D

Couple of guys strolling in saw the load, and asked what I had in the truck that would pull that, big grin 6.5 diesel, dumbfounded look on their face and then walked away shaking their head. :eek:

Others with this turbo can correct me if I'm wrong but at WOT I am pretty sure the boost remains constant, no drop in psi like the vacuum wastegate or the TM as the tranny shifts. Leo

Back