• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replacement turbo

T/M did stay up there, But big difference on smooth, heavy power the ATT produces. last empty run, it racked up to 17, held there to 85 when I let off. ATT feels like it would keep giving where the GM flatlined.
the rumble noticable around 1600-2200 on mine

X2 Matuva,
I've been reading your posts for years, thought I knew your truck pretty well just from the way you talk about it, but I didn't even realize what color it was. Didn't really care, to be honest with you. But Matt's post made me take a look...Wow! I absolutely love that color combination. It looks beautiful, and it must be pretty rare too. Good job keeping it such nice shape. Wish mine looked half as good, but unfortunately the rigors of being a work/plow truck, and always being out in the salt are taking it's toll. I need to replace some sheetmetal and repaint soon. But I haven't given up, it'll be a good looking truck again someday.
Again, big thumbs up on that sweet looking truck!

Thanks for that ;)
Won't be long just not to be out of topic. Yes almost rare here, I know 4 only including mine with this combination of "light stellar blue metalic - code 27U" and "ultra silver metalic - code 96L"

Well, I don't tow often either.
I choose that ATT after reviewing all the job done by Tim and Dennis for testing and improving this turbo.

I'm not a racer too, but really, I appreciate a lot having the truck responding faster and easier at low rpms now.

About the sound, the ATT seems to be a bit more "quiet" than my previous GM-5, whistling less, though I can still hear it. But, if you look for nice rumble, believe me, you won't be disappointed.

I have a straight pipe with a silverline resonator, and most of guys think now I get a gasser.
It's hard to find words to describe the rumble : louder, more powerful, but at the same time not agressive. You have the feeling that this a the purr of a beast, feeling that behind this rumble is hidden a good source of power and torque.
Never heard a tiger purring, but that should be pretty close ):h

I gave my turbo the nick name of "Woa" : each time I start my engine for people to listen, they say Woa!, open the hood and show the turbo, Woa! again, take them for a drive, and Woa! :D

Thanks for the info. I wonder how it sounds with no muffler:thumbsup: My only worry is that I would be disappointed with the off the line unloaded performance if this turbo spools a little slower and I don't have a standard trans.

Thanks for that ;)
Won't be long just not to be out of topic. Yes almost rare here, I know 4 only including mine with this combination of "light stellar blue metalic - code 27U" and "ultra silver metalic - code 96L"

I wish mine was that color. Sweet looking truck:notworthy:

My only worry is that I would be disappointed with the off the line unloaded performance if this turbo spools a little slower and I don't have a standard trans.
I would not categorize it as a performance loss better described as a shift, with current fueling I get a puff of black smoke then acceleration on par with and slighlty better than GM-X somewhere in this thread is post by North Maine who rode in my truck when he was sailing on Chevron tankers near here and had a afternoon off, he did not seem to think there was a reduction in performance though I felt the shift myself, negligible IMO, would it mean a difference in a "hole shot" possibly, I don't race so I don't know, but I'm reasonably confident in a side by "long legs" run 2 6.5s with reflash-exh-etc. one with a GM-X and ATT the ATT would outdo the GM-X turboed.

Actually even in short run I think ATT would make up the hole shot edge, just have not had opportunity to side by side run one similar to mine with GM-X. Possibly that could happen in North East IIRC one up that way yet to be installed.

One thing I last weeks run home Ga to Ms I just discovered by accident, in order to get full potential from ATT, you need a reflash.

I plugged in a stock PCM (doing some troubleshooting/data mining) thought I had a HP4 in it, but only had 70 ^3mm (stock) fuel max rate in that PCM, I could reach 100mph but hill climbs took longer, acted similar in throttle response/trans shifting to a limped PCM with 50 ^mm3 10 psi boost was max at WOT, same mpg as the full fuel tune just reduced accel, so in order of purchase, if going for mpg only and light towing go ATT, if wanting full performance & mpg you will need reflash & ATT

Send me an ATT for free and I will test it out at the track for you.....I'll pay for it if it makes a difference and send it back if it doesn't....):h

a possibility there Chris send me a deposit, and I'll send you my TDO7 after Bill is done with it, as that is only extra one I have, that one is most expensive turbo out there I paid for it twice, once when new, and a 2nd time to have it rebuilt when I filled it with expanding foam trying to make it safe to ship to Bill, of course that goes with caveat you broke it you bought it :D and no I ain't paying for your engine if it grenades, you wanna play you gotta pay in the racing game, this turbo does well for what it is intended to do over 12k miles on mine, racing is hazardous sport if you are gonna R&D with an unknown as in 1/4 mile launched time trials there is some elememnt of risk; if you are serious let me know and maybe we can talk.

Last edited:
no

I was hoping to do that at Suncoast Feb 20, but big boss in town that week, may not be prudent for me to be on vacation then, as yesterday 1st round of layoffs announced our division, and if things don't improve may be more, I'm not on 1st list and I don't want me not being here to show my shop productivity off to be the deciding vote for me being on the 2nd list.

I love you guys but dyno run vs job, hmmnnn let me see what is going to be the priority,,ya'll figure that one out, if things change and I can make it to the dyno, I'll keep you posted

a possibility there Chris send me a deposit, and I'll send you my TDO7 after Bill is done with it, as that is only extra one I have, that one is most expensive turbo out there I paid for it twice, once when new, and a 2nd time to have it rebuilt when I filled it with expanding foam trying to make it safe to ship to Bill, of course that goes with caveat you broke it you bought it :D and no I ain't paying for your engine if it grenades, you wanna play you gotta pay in the racing game, this turbo does well for what it is intended to do over 12k miles on mine, racing is hazardous sport if you are gonna R&D with an unknown as in 1/4 mile launched time trials there is some elememnt of risk; if you are serious let me know and maybe we can talk.

Money is no problem. I always pay to play.....I just don't like dropping coin on things that don't produce results (in every aspect of life I suppose)...

When money was an issue I sold my 66 Chevelle SS to help get myself through University....

PM sent about the turbo....

Last edited:
I have been running an hp4 with a manula trans and have been happy with the HP4 chip.

Which chip would work best for the ATT, the HP4 or the GL4. I use the truck mostly for towing so I would assume the GL4 but maybe the turbo needs the HP4?

GL4 is just new version of HP4, I think it has an extended glow cycle. The GLE is the tow version.
Leo​

Does anyone have recorded exhaust backpressure numbers on the GM-X? I found a couple references earlier in the thread and TD's excel file has it recorded for the ATT, but not the GM-X.

Thanks

GL4 is just new version of HP4, I think it has an extended glow cycle. The GLE is the tow version.
Leo​

Had the backwards, the GLE is the economy fuel saver version, and GL4 is the power and torque.

Its not just extended glow plug cycle, but it cycles the glo plugs on for the next several seconds I guess, dont know for how long to keep cold starts smooth. Mine does that, from Engh, didnt know if I had a problem or what.

I'll look thru old notes to see if I still have it written down somewhere, but IIRC GM-8 BP with 15 psi boost was 45psi BP, I still have GM-8 on burb before I shift to ATT maybe I'll grab drill/tap that one for BP nos. but almost 2x BP to boost until about 12 psi boost then you really "hit the wall of BP" and BP over range of my gauge

What are you using for the fititng or line that you tap in? Is it a hose or an electrical sender? I'm interested in doing the same thing to watch the BP with my boost.

Kinda crude, but a mech boost gage cheap one Faze from Advance, copper tube tapped in collector below turbo, was a temporary rig that has been there since I installed the TD07, then ATT, also had it in place for a while with GM-8, when I was struggling with the turbo oil drain fitting.

Back