• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replacement turbo

TD's backpressure measuring method is a great idea, Eventually I'll plumb a permanent one in for that. When I bother getting a new triple pod.

Put a thermocouple on the PMD

Put a thermocouple on the PMD
IMO no need to monitor fuel solenoid driver for temps, I did that for test in "Points to Ponder Thread" was a crude test that told me all I needed to know, also at Pensdacola Fuel we did some tests with IR gun of IP on test bench under a minute free hanging off IP >250F mounted on test stand & on IP we saw 180 or so IIRC been a while since looking at that for me to remember, but it was sufficiently hot enough to know it's too hot and keep it out of the engine bay. Real world function has confirmed that as well, 3x fail under hood in 2 years, 0x fail out of engine bay in 5 years with the heath remote.

As far as EBP monitor, if you are going to tow, I'd put that 3rd spot in use as a trans temp monitor, I'll probably do away with my EBP gauge when I finish some R&D I'm doing with my turbo setup.

....hmmm sounding better and better. Hey Dennis, how's my turbo coming along? :D ..just yanking yer chain.

This seems to lend more credence to the idea of an optimum intake temperature; 150*F as I recall someone saying. I'm thinking it would be interesting to set up a way to control and adjust the intake temp to see approximately where that ideal temperature is. Gadget nut that I am, I've got an 8 channel thermocouple input data recorder that I'm looking at installing on my rig before I get the ATT on it. Just to get a good before and after set of numbers, for entertainment value of course. I'm thinking of the following inputs:
EGT pre turbo
EGT post turbo
IAT pre turbo (ambient or Outside Air Temp (OAT))
IAT post turbo
..anything else you guys want to see? Four channels left!

Mike
Control System Engineer (licensed gadget nut)

Knowing EGT at the driver's exh manifold exit (compared to EGT pre turbo) &/or seeing EGT's at each exhaust port would be interesting, given how un-symmetrical the exhaust plumbing to the turbo is.

Don't know how much utility there would be in measuring these unless we're willing to fabricate something better if the data supports doing so.

Darrin

....hmmm sounding better and better. Hey Dennis, how's my turbo coming along? :D ..just yanking yer chain.

This seems to lend more credence to the idea of an optimum intake temperature; 150*F as I recall someone saying. I'm thinking it would be interesting to set up a way to control and adjust the intake temp to see approximately where that ideal temperature is. Gadget nut that I am, I've got an 8 channel thermocouple input data recorder that I'm looking at installing on my rig before I get the ATT on it. Just to get a good before and after set of numbers, for entertainment value of course. I'm thinking of the following inputs:
EGT pre turbo
EGT post turbo
IAT pre turbo (ambient or Outside Air Temp (OAT))
IAT post turbo
..anything else you guys want to see? Four channels left!

Mike
Control System Engineer (licensed gadget nut)

Should be Saturday next week 21st when it ships I will get with you this week to do the particulars. :D Dang machinist went snowmobiling then to Florida, and wasn't working. Guess I have the wrong job.:eek:

iv spent the last hour or so skimming this whole thread and i still dont have all the info to try and understnd this TD or Slim could you write up an overview of what the advantages of this turbo are? like difference in what range it spools at, any difference in MPG, Max boost, differce in turbo wistle (every one loves that sound)

I have a gm-3 on my 93 and it dosent spool till btwn 1600 and 2000 rpm. crusing at 55 doing around 2500 it makes 2-3pounds would really like to

im sure all that was in this thread but unless its all un one place i just cant understand it
Thanks
JOsh

iv spent the last hour or so skimming this whole thread and i still dont have all the info to try and understnd this TD or Slim could you write up an overview of what the advantages of this turbo are? like difference in what range it spools at, any difference in MPG, Max boost, differce in turbo wistle (every one loves that sound)

I have a gm-3 on my 93 and it dosent spool till btwn 1600 and 2000 rpm. crusing at 55 doing around 2500 it makes 2-3pounds would really like to

im sure all that was in this thread but unless its all un one place i just cant understand it
Thanks
JOsh

sounds to me you have a boost leak, exhaust leak or you need a TM....my 93 makes 5 to 6 psi @ 2000 rpms and 12 to 15 psi at WOT....with the stock WG your only goin' to see about what your seein' at that rpm....it will only get to 7psi @ WOT....

Thanks
JOsh

All info is in the thread but to summarize:

Same/better power as GM turbo, costs less to replace with a new ATT than a new or overhauled GM 8, better mpg

for your turbo issue post a new thread on just that problem

im confused what keeps it from boosting to much

sorry didnt mean to try and get this thread off track was just looking for some comparison numbers

sorry didnt mean to try and get this thread off track was just looking for some comparison numbers

The turbo is more closely matched to our engine, you will see approximately 2 to three psi boost cruising and up to 18 psi under load and WOT, depending on the amount of fuel you are capable of getting to your engine. The turbo in my opinion is just flat better for our engine.

The turbo is powered by exhaust flow, so the boost is limited by exhaust backpressure. The engine will only make so much. This turbo is matched well because it will create the right amount of boost to match our fuel input and it will do it with less backpressure than the GM-X turbo, which means its more efficient and you get better throttle response and MPG in the power band and above. the more fuel you burn the more backpressure the more boost. Take foot off pedal, less fuel, less backpressure less boost.

What you are looking for is like a product brochure, which would be a good thing to have to get sales going.

that is exactly what im looking for with say a comparison chart of the numbers compared to say a gm-8

i remember reading about the backpressure but it didnt click to me there is so much other stuff that the info parts get muddled in my head

The turbo is more closely matched to our engine, you will see approximately 2 to three psi boost cruising and up to 18 psi under load and WOT, depending on the amount of fuel you are capable of getting to your engine. The turbo in my opinion is just flat better for our engine.

Would 18psi with a stock compression engine cause problems with lifting a head if sustaining such boost? I assume not, but why?

Would 18psi with a stock compression engine cause problems with lifting a head if sustaining such boost? I assume not, but why?
Hasn't on mine, but FWIW I rarely if ever see boost over 10psi unless towing something, but to get maximum output from the turbo you will need a program that supplies the extra fuel to fully drive the turbo to max capability.

I imagine you would have to have a pretty long stretch of road and no speed limits to be into the throttle for that long...

Bill

Thanks. I just seem to be having a hard time with the idea of less boost during normal driving but still getting more power. As well as higher peak boost with out something bad happening. It seems to go against everything i've learned so far about the 6.5. The more I read, the more I want one. Too bad I have a brand new GM-8 on the truck.

First you have to understand power does not come from boost. Boost is merely a way to get more air/O2 into the equation of combustion. Then power available is a function of work, so the less work the engine has to do the more power is available.

The turbo creating boost at lower backpressures means the engine has to do less work (less fuel combustion) to comlete an exhaust stroke. An exhaust stroke requires that cylinder to compress the exhaust into whatever the backpressure at the turbo is. Combusting fuel in the other cylinders is how that exhaust stroke work is completed.

So lower backpressures is the key here to more power available at lower boost pressures. Lower backpressure also allows about 5% more intake air to enter the cylinder for better combustion, providing a little more efficiency/power.

Back