• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replacement turbo

Any updates?

Yes, I shipped three the other day. I am hoping the three will post when they get them installed.

I currently have been running without an intercooler and probably won't go back to it. Turbine Doc did away with his intercooler also and is running without. Might be a trend, will have to wait and see.

If you don't mind me asking why are you going away from intercoolers i always thought they were one of the bests upgrades for a 6.5?

turbo lag reduction, IC is a pressure vessel to be filled, then to engine, with all that we do for flow improvements adding an IC impedes that some, but when you are generating a lot of heat thru turbo compression it is an acceptable trade off as density of air charge is better with cool air.

Now swap out to a high cfm turbo like ATT that does same work as GM-8 and less boost/IAT required, the hi cfm turbo/big wheel is slower to spool so trade off there is adding lag, fortunately lag on ATT is marginal.

So either we trade for fast accelerating turbo makes high boost fast/gets hot (GM-X) needing IC but efficiency peaks where we tow.

Or we go with ATT high cfm turbo, somewhat slower to build boost, that is more efficient where we tow, but doesn't need IC, as it's IAT is significantly lower than what a GM-X running "all out" does.

There is a theory that some IAT in neighborhood of 150F is optimal for the 6.5 combustion/ecomomy, hmmn that is pretty close to what a non IC'd ATT does, plus since it "breathes" flows better, less back pressure out the turbo we get more mpg there.

Depending how I drive I've seen 2-4 mpg improvement; remember from day 1 the ATT has never been touted as a race turbo, off line GM-8 with current program is faster off line, but as towing/mpg ATT does better job, that said some things still in play to maybe optomize the "tune" to work better with ATT.

Going at this slow so it's done rite the 1st time, vs. just cobbing together another bolt on "POS" we've seen so many 6.5ers get burned with before. Removing the IC from the circuit by seat of pant dyno, & I know my truck pretty well; I feel improved acceleration with it out of the loop.

Yes, I shipped three the other day. I am hoping the three will post when they get them installed.

I currently have been running without an intercooler and probably won't go back to it. Turbine Doc did away with his intercooler also and is running without. Might be a trend, will have to wait and see.

I'm sure i'll post results when i get that turbo installed, but it would take some time, because i'm on other side of ball and it's coming in container ship..
I just must wait :rolleyes5:

Turbo

What are the internal parts made of? Both turbos sound like a great improvement. I still have the GM 8 w/stainless fan and other parts, but I had it done for me.
KEEP IT SIMPLE
MILD BILL

turbo lag reduction, IC is a pressure vessel to be filled, then to engine, with all that we do for flow improvements adding an IC impedes that some, but when you are generating a lot of heat thru turbo compression it is an acceptable trade off as density of air charge is better with cool air.

Now swap out to a high cfm turbo like ATT that does same work as GM-8 and less boost/IAT required, the hi cfm turbo/big wheel is slower to spool so trade off there is adding lag, fortunately lag on ATT is marginal.

So either we trade for fast accelerating turbo makes high boost fast/gets hot (GM-X) needing IC but efficiency peaks where we tow.

Or we go with ATT high cfm turbo, somewhat slower to build boost, that is more efficient where we tow, but doesn't need IC, as it's IAT is significantly lower than what a GM-X running "all out" does.

There is a theory that some IAT in neighborhood of 150F is optimal for the 6.5 combustion/ecomomy, hmmn that is pretty close to what a non IC'd ATT does, plus since it "breathes" flows better, less back pressure out the turbo we get more mpg there.

Depending how I drive I've seen 2-4 mpg improvement; remember from day 1 the ATT has never been touted as a race turbo, off line GM-8 with current program is faster off line, but as towing/mpg ATT does better job, that said some things still in play to maybe optomize the "tune" to work better with ATT.

Going at this slow so it's done rite the 1st time, vs. just cobbing together another bolt on "POS" we've seen so many 6.5ers get burned with before. Removing the IC from the circuit by seat of pant dyno, & I know my truck pretty well; I feel improved acceleration with it out of the loop.

Thanks nice to have people around to explain.

update

What are the internal parts made of? Both turbos sound like a great improvement. I still have the GM 8 w/stainless fan and other parts, but I had it done for me.
KEEP IT SIMPLE
MILD BILL

I tried to redo my sign. hope it works

Back