• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

new engine for the old girl

Well the motor is all back together with : head studs (torque to 110 ft.lbs.), felt .010 gaskets, marine injectors, new crank pulley, 1999 high flow water pump, 195 t-stat, luk solid flywheel and clutch, and a whole bunch of new gaskets and rtv.
The Trans is not going so smooth. I had it in and mated. Had already mounted the clutch and brake pedals, but when I put the shift lever on I found out that I didn't put the top cover on with the gears lined up in neutral. So it had to come back out and get repaired. Hopefully tonight I will have both the engine and Trans matted and in. So I will have left is the accessories.

Well I took a break on the truck after the Trans had to be pulled back out. Sorry I let the thread go for so long. I now have the Trans and engine back in the truck. All that is left is the many pieces and parts like power steering and radiator that need to be put back on. The wife and I plan on wrenching on it tomorrow night and hopefully being able to finish it.

20150123_211557.jpg Almost finished it last night. Just have the starter, battery cables and crossover pipe then she should be running. Big thanks to my wife who helped until about 1100 then stopped me at 0300.

No. It started when I was a lcpl we stole her some coveralls and because she always worked with us on our projects my friends pinned cpl chevron on her so she could be my boss. Now I am a Sgt but I still haven't been able to pass her up. I find I am never really in charger as soon as she shows up. I think it's a wife thing.

And those are my old boots. They are like clown shoes on her but they are her only pair of shoes she doesn't care to wreck.

She runs and drives. Finally after 20 some days I have managed to freshen up then engine and swap the auto out for a manual transmission. But I can drive it to work and back in the state she is in. I still have to swap the steering column. And do a few other minor things like remove my Trans temp gage and rig up the neutral safety switch and reverse lights. I will try an post some pics and videos once she had had a good bath and a few more miles of a break in period.

I'm glad you are up and running again so quickly. Good luck on the break in and hope engine gives you years of service.

I think I may have a timing issue or just cheap injectors. Not sure but before I had the motor apart she never smoked on start up, but now it billows white smoke until she gets warm. Also it seems to be lacking power. I was expecting more with fresh injectors and lower compression. Maybe I just need to get used too the manual transmission. Will the truck "relearn" by itself if the timing is not exactly where it was before. I know it is very close, I used a chisel and made a mark to be centered on the top stud that holds the injection Pump in place so I know it is very close to where it came off.

Mine billowed white smoke and had no power till I got the timing close. I don't know if a 94 can do koko relearn sequence like on my 97, but if memory serves me right its 95 up.

I had the pump off because I initially planed on using the other block. But then changed my mind and used this 599 block. I did mark it but I didn't get it back on perfect so now I need to do the relearn. I am having a heck of a time finding someone with gmtech 2. I found a scanner with it online for around $300 but just can't afford that right now. I can't wait to see how she moves once it is set properly. It goes pretty good right now. I am loving picking my own gears and the feeling of a direct link between my rear tires and engine.

White smoke - just loosen up the pump and advance it a touch by hand, but, the proper tools from one of the vendors, Leroy or something like that :rolleyes: , go a long ways to doing the job properly. I would double check for air and kinked hoses. Air is step #1 for all fuel problems.

Did you sell the other block?

OK here is another question. Should/can there be air in the return hoses? I put clear fuel lines on the return hoses A. Because I had them and B. Because the old ones where shot. But now I can see air bubbles going back to the tank is this normal? If my memory serves me right when I had the tank down and sending unit out, the return on these is not air tight and it just drops it back in the tank from the top instead of going down to the bottom of the tank.

OK here is another question. Should/can there be air in the return hoses? I put clear fuel lines on the return hoses A. Because I had them and B. Because the old ones where shot. But now I can see air bubbles going back to the tank is this normal? If my memory serves me right when I had the tank down and sending unit out, the return on these is not air tight and it just drops it back in the tank from the top instead of going down to the bottom of the tank.

OOPS!
The return line has a hose that goes all the way to the bottom of the tank. It keeps the return from allowing the system to siphon itself dry. This is a overnight starting issue. The only place to be concerned about air is the IP return line. Air in this line is a air leak or a restriction causing diesel to boil in the fuel line.

Air from injector return lines may or may not be bad, but, I don't recall.

Back