• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX40II Turbo Install

Thanks guys.

I see the ring clamp in there just wasnt sure of the best way to pop it out without scraping and scratching the turbo.

I was gonna try a flat blade screw driver with a shop towel around it then pry out the ring clip.

Thanks guys.

I see the ring clamp in there just wasnt sure of the best way to pop it out without scraping and scratching the turbo.

I was gonna try a flat blade screw driver with a shop towel around it then pry out the ring clip.

definently put a rag in there so you dont scrape the blades. Also 2 flat heads works good, use one to pry the ring up and the other to pop it out

Hey, thanks for the pics everybody!! Some nice looking work on all the installs. I've been closely following all these turbo threads

I've recently picked up a HX35W from craigslist and these pics are priceless since the HX40 and HX35 are so similar. I've got raceday's downpipe and oil feed adapters coming and the pics are really helpful when it comes to visualizing what I'm going to be doing.

My plan is to do the air filter/battery swap similar to what raceday did, although I do have some alternate ideas I want to check out also.

I do have a question for anybody that can answer it.

I need a new metal gasket that goes between the turbo exhaust housing and the exhaust outlet plate. My turbo came off an 01 Cummins and Dodge does not have it available since they deal with the turbo as a complete replacement unit when servicing is needed.

I haven't found the gasket yet on e-bay. I do have a Cummins dealer about 40 miles away, but haven't had a chance to contact them yet. The fuel to drive 80 miles round trip would make that gasket really expensive, unless they would ship it.

I have question for Jorge, or anybody else that can answer it for that matter.

Jorge, I'm assuming your air filter is the Amsoil nanofiber filter. What is the diameter of the opening for the outlet to the turbo? I have a stock gasser filter here and it is a 3.5" opening. If yours is also 3.5" how did you adapt it to the 4" for the HX40?

Don

The filter I am using is an oem replacement napa gold filter for the '97 and up k47 air boxes. I used the stock tube that the filter attaches to and cut it about an inch and a half from the air box, I then cleanly wrapped with electrical tape where the silicone elbow would go over so fits tight and leak free. its still only 3.5in. out of the filter.

Gonna try later today to get my k47 air box in there so my IATs drop.

The 6.5 never had a gasket for the turbo and i dont think it needs one. Just be sure both surfaces are clean and flush.

The turbo i just put on did come with a manifold to turbo gasket so i put it on, first time my 6.5 ever had one. Try contacting a dodge dealer for a gasket if you really want one.

I can get the stainless steel flange/turbo gasket. $12 shipped. Remember me if you need that Amsoil air filter to. I run one on mine.
As far as relocating the K47 I had to move mine to driver side in the Isuzu swap. You should be able to do something very close , but stay on pass side.

The filter I am using is an oem replacement napa gold filter for the '97 and up k47 air boxes. I used the stock tube that the filter attaches to and cut it about an inch and a half from the air box, I then cleanly wrapped with electrical tape where the silicone elbow would go over so fits tight and leak free. its still only 3.5in. out of the filter.

Gonna try later today to get my k47 air box in there so my IATs drop.

The 6.5 never had a gasket for the turbo and i dont think it needs one. Just be sure both surfaces are clean and flush.

The turbo i just put on did come with a manifold to turbo gasket so i put it on, first time my 6.5 ever had one. Try contacting a dodge dealer for a gasket if you really want one.

Thanks for the info Jorge. I was wondering if the gasser and diesel filters were the same. Apparently they are. I have the gasser version of the K47 airbox and am planning to try to use it when I swap in the HX35.

The gasser airbox is made for reverse orientation compared to the K47. The box is made so the air outlet to the gasser intake manifold would be right where the diesel coolant reservoir is at. The box is also slightly larger than the K47, enough that it won't fit between the turbo and the inner fender, requiring that I exchange locations for the battery and airbox.

My 6.5 does not have a gasket between the turbo and manifold, but my Craigslist HX35 shows marks for the metal gasket on the base. I already have that gasket and the oil drain tube gasket ordered from Dodge. Not sure yet if I'll use the exhaust gasket though.

Don

Sounds good, If you got the gasket you should use it. I dont think it would hurt if anything it will help. You want to be sure you have no exhaust leaks pre turbo

good luck with the project and be sure to post some pics.

OK turbo really ads some power! So much more power that it blew my tranny : (

Guess my tranny had to much abuse and miles to take the new power.

Gonna have to rebuild it but now gonna make it stronger

Is the reason the old 400 trans are so strong because they have a turbo in the trans from the factory?

If you were closer I know a guy that works at a trans shop and does side work. 4L80E around $800-1000 + hard parts.

OK turbo really ads some power! So much more power that it blew my tranny : (

OUCH!!!

I guess that is a good and bad thing. Good because you know the HX40II is doing the work! Bad... well because now you need another tranny :(

Keep us posted!

I should have know better, 240K miles of use and abuse and lots of trailer towing.

Now i know i have to go stronger in the transmission department.

Back