• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX40II Turbo Install

Ive put about 3000 miles on the HX40II so I decided to take a look at it today, Everything look good, spinning freenot loose at all, I decided to pull the silencer ring out to see if it made any difference, It definately spools faster and does have more whistle:hihi: anyway here is a pic of it as it came apart very little trace of oil from the CDR
th_019.jpg

Still lookin good Bruce!

Update: Mileage time. 15.2 MPG mixed/city driving! Not bad and an improvement over the 13.5 winter city driving over the GM-8. I also changed the t-stats to 195F, but not sure of the impact there.

Not that 15.2 is that bragable on its own, but for city driving I will not complain. I figure open road would be around 18 at this point :) With still more potential with lighter wheels and street tires.

Still lookin good Bruce!

Update: Mileage time. 15.2 MPG mixed/city driving! Not bad and an improvement over the 13.5 winter city driving over the GM-8. I also changed the t-stats to 195F, but not sure of the impact there.

Not that 15.2 is that bragable on its own, but for city driving I will not complain. I figure open road would be around 18 at this point :) With still more potential with lighter wheels and street tires.

How many miles on the new turbo so far?

About 1000 miles on it to report.

Still very pleased with the conversion! :)

The one nit pick is that I would like to be able to lower the max boost a little bit more, but have run out of adjustment on the stock/provided rod. The Isspro gauge maxs at 15 PSI and so I throttle limit it to stay in that range. I might just get a higher limit boost gauge. FWIW very very rarely do I get on it hard anyway, but now I am limited still to half throttle. This turbo would be deadly if I could get a full WOT on it! :)

Still lookin good Bruce!

The mileage you're getting is about the same as what I'm getting with my '98 K2500 Burb 3.73 rear, LT245/75/16 tires stock GM8 and a #9 resistor and aftermarket gauze filter in the K-47. 15ish combined and just shy of 18 to just over 18 on the highway (trip from Lincoln NE to Washington D.C. and back beginning of November yielded 17.8 out and 18.4 back over three and a half tanks. Did have a bit of a tail wind on the way back and a "downhill" drive from the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania to the Mississippi River at Iowa :)

Downhill in Illinois? Did you go through Chicago? That or the governor's office... Either one is going downhill fast!

Sorry the temptation was just too great. Haha

I see what you are saying Huskers6.5. For summer I am in that range before as well, but the winter mix always knocks me off by 1 MPGish.

Please check your actual MPH though with the 245/75 tires. From my experience the 265/75 or 235/85 are right on the money where as the 245/75 is a bit optimistic on indicated speed which would also be optimistic on your MPG calculations.

FWIW I hope to switch from the H2 17"s with A/T tires to PYOs with 235/85 Mich M/S2 LRR tires... We will see how much that helps. My best previously was 21 on stock steelies with 235/85 Revos, not nearly the mods as I have now though.

... It is hard to get apples to apples on these comparisons unfortunaely.

You do know that the refineries blend #1 with the #2 in winter months, right? It can go as high as 70/30 when its really cold. They do it at the terminals. You almost never have to add anti gel. But that will drop mileage numbers by a few anyways.

Please check your actual MPH though with the 245/75 tires. From my experience the 265/75 or 235/85 are right on the money where as the 245/75 is a bit optimistic on indicated speed which would also be optimistic on your MPG calculations.

sshewins

You do know that the refineries blend #1 with the #2 in winter months, right? It can go as high as 70/30 when its really cold. They do it at the terminals. You almost never have to add anti gel. But that will drop mileage numbers by a few anyways.

My speedo and tach are dead on. Speed verified with both radar and odometer calibration over 100 miles measured distance via Interstate mile markers. LT245/75R-16 were the stock tires. Early November I doubt that I was getting winter blend. I do add a shot of Diesel Kleen every tank though, year round. As far as I can ascertain, with 199K miles I'm on the original IP and injectors. I am planning on a new reman IP and injectors soon, and expect to gain another couple of MPG at least.

sshewins

Downhill in Illinois? Did you go through Chicago? That or the governor's office... Either one is going downhill fast!

Sorry the temptation was just too great. Haha

You do know every time they they flush in Indiana, it flows to Illinois? :)

To the right of the "Reply With Quote" at the bottom of a post is an icon. Click it on all the posts you want to include then click the reply with quote on one of them.

Back