• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX40II Turbo Install

it still comes down to how much pressure it takes to open the wastegate, those boost controllers only controll how much pressure gets to the waste gate so really the only thing you can do with those boost controllers is raise boost, because limiting the pressure to the wastegate would make it stay closed , i think someone should see if the turbomaster will work on this turbo

That is why I said you need a can (actuator) with a 8 lb spring. So you can raise it up from 8 lbs.
What the MBC does is hold the waste gate shut until it has enough pressure to move the ball bearing in the MBC. When it moves the ball bearing pressure then flows threw the MBC to the actuator and opens the waste gate. I have made a few of these and they work like a charm.

hmm i wonder how this turbo s360(variant) woudl work with 4.63 gears and cruising about 2300rpm and max weight of 26k

There is a built 6.9 ford putting out +350HP with that turbo @36psi and it is his tow rig. Should work on our rigs as well. BUT I think it is still too small or the impellers are wrong as I dont like how easy it makes 36#. I want something ATT sized or bigger with a wastegate for quick spooling but wide open at high RPM.

+1 The only thing a longer rod is going to do is not let the waste gate close.

Dang it... You guys are correct. Why I missed that sooner is beyond me. If I keep it cracked open, I will only burn/harm the wastegate valve.

This weekend I will try and fabricate a TurboMaster for the HX40II. Which should be pretty easy given a little modification to the stock arm and pot.

As for the MBC, I do not see it working with the stock HX40II pot as it is set for 20PSI. You would need a pot that is set lower for the MBC to work. The MBC seems to work into "fooling" the stock pot and beign able to run higher boost pressures (not lower).

Thanks!

There is a built 6.9 ford putting out +350HP with that turbo @36psi and it is his tow rig. Should work on our rigs as well. BUT I think it is still too small or the impellers are wrong as I dont like how easy it makes 36#. I want something ATT sized or bigger with a wastegate for quick spooling but wide open at high RPM.

if your talking about NMB2s build it just under 300 rwhp. So far.....

This weekend I will try and fabricate a TurboMaster for the HX40II. Which should be pretty easy given a little modification to the stock arm and pot.

From my understanding of the Turbo Master. It is just a way to hold the waste gate shut in place of vaccume on the GMx turbos. With the HX40II already having a spring holding it shut I don't see it working.
Now if you were to use a actuator off of a GMx and mod it to fix the HX40II then it should work.

if your talking about NMB2s build it just under 300 rwhp. So far.....
That is right, he dyno'd just under 300rwhp......still an awesome dyno run and a great build. Our hats are off to anybody that can get the IDI platform to dyno over 275hp at the wheels. At this point in time, we have only seen 4 or 5 confirmed to be at this level of power, whether they be GM or Navistar (the Ford Navistar) blocks. Still have not seen actual data on anyone getting to these power levels with the GM Navistar blocks. It is coming though, lots of performance builds going on now....:thumbsup:

Hey is there someplace or has someone posted the Intake air temps under boost and the exhaust drive pressures for different boost levels for this setup?. If I missed it, I am sorry, looking for some comparisons rather than guessing.

Hey is there someplace or has someone posted the Intake air temps under boost and the exhaust drive pressures for different boost levels for this setup?. If I missed it, I am sorry, looking for some comparisons rather than guessing.

nobody has recorded drive pressures yet with this turbo... i am kind of suprised, as it appears to be so popular, and nobody buying it seems to know/care about it...

15.1 city/mixed mileage today. Tonight I am headed on a road trip, so lets see how she does on open highway mileage.

Soon the tire/wheel combination will be changed for mileage as well. Then we'll be able to really tell if this is more efficient than a GM-8!

nobody buying it seems to know/care about it...

I do care... I just don't know. LOL In short it seems better than the GM-8, too what extent is yet undetermined.

As for popularity, I can only think of a handful of folks running this turbo so far..?

I still need to deal with the boost levels. Either a MBC with different Holset pot or a TurboMaster style spring setup. More to come eventually on that issue.

I just got home, it seems like 62 mph is the sweet spot for my truck towing, and at that speed I got 12.3 mpg, on the way back I pushed it to 70 and got 10.8 mpg, still pretty good towing a 5th wheel at about 11k loaded

I just got home, it seems like 62 mph is the sweet spot for my truck towing, and at that speed I got 12.3 mpg, on the way back I pushed it to 70 and got 10.8 mpg, still pretty good towing a 5th wheel at about 11k loaded

What RPM are you at 62MPH, what gears are in the truck.

My horse trailer weighs in at 12K, and my 3.73 gear's, I don't have the NV4500 in it yet..

Can you monitor drive pressure yet?

Don't really need to monitor drive pressures directly, lot of proxy measurements for it. Like fuel mileage :D

Hey Bruce, were you planning to try on an ATT at some point? I was hoping for an apples-to-apples comparison, and Brutus pulling your 5er looks like a perfect test-bed!

right at 2000 rpm 4.10 gears, I have no plans to put a sender in for drive pressures

1800-2000 is the motor's sweet spot. Rev higher and your mileage really starts to suffer. You East Coasters don't notice it so much with all your 65 mph speed limits on the Interstate, but out here where rural highways are 65 and the Interstate is 75 (with traffic flow usually at 82 mph) 3.73 and deeper rears just suck down too much fuel if you're not doing serious towing. Hence my quest to try and find a 3.21 ring and pinion for the front 9.25" IFS diff, finding a 3.21 for the rear 10.5" 14 bolt is easy, so I can drop my highway cruising rpm's down to 1800-1900 at 75-80 mph. Now I just need to find a turbo that stays lit and keeps me running lean at that rpm/speed. Hence I'm closely following the ATT/HX40 comparison. I want my K2500 Suburban to cruise Interstate at 80mph and pull down 22-24+ mpg doing so.

I am planning on running a ATT, I have talked to Dennis a couple times and its gonna happen

I'll definitely be looking forward to that, Bruce. I need to find something better than this dog GM-8 to put on my motor, I'm tired of rolling black smoke at 75 mph because it's not getting enough air into the engine when I pull some of the rolling hills out here, or climb out of the Platte River valley between Omaha and Lincoln. I look like a freaking squid fleeing a predator at times!

Back