• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX40II Turbo Install

The downpipe is from RaceDayMechanic. Highly recommended, one of the few things I could actually bolt on straight away without any modification :)

Thanks! The boost nipple wasn't that bad. The wastegate machining was horrible! They left a lot of junk metal on that area. Granted a little cleaning and it was in good shape... Just be careful of debris and make sure it is super clean before installation. Other than that the Turbo unit is pretty nice, not sure why QC could not be a little better on those two issues as to blemish the "out of the box" quality on an otherwise nice turbo.
okay, you got your turbo from the same place as raceday right? his first one was too loose, yours seems too tight, along with the sloppy casting, i am curious what level of quality control is in-place..... if a turbo needs to run a week to "break in" it says something for the quality of bushings used... i wonder if this company actually submits the end product to a spin-up test like all finished units are at holset/garrett/schwitzer/borg-warner..... that could be the reason that they are able to offer them so cheap, and we have seen so many differences in the same units..... a little disconcerting....

okay, you got your turbo from the same place as raceday right? his first one was too loose, yours seems too tight, along with the sloppy casting, i am curious what level of quality control is in-place..... if a turbo needs to run a week to "break in" it says something for the quality of bushings used... i wonder if this company actually submits the end product to a spin-up test like all finished units are at holset/garrett/schwitzer/borg-warner..... that could be the reason that they are able to offer them so cheap, and we have seen so many differences in the same units..... a little disconcerting....

Ahh... turbonator's . Y'all need to remember that turbos are kinda like women... it's not a one size fits all!!! Wat one guy likes another guy will not like at all!!:D
I personally agree with y'all . But.... it's there money to spend ....;)

I have a 4" exhaust from Jardaine and a Warpspeed 3" mandrel bend crossover pipe. So breathing shouldn't be an issue.

The issue I think is more with the Heath GL4 chip... Not complaining, but it is set for max power instead of a towing tune like the Heath Max-E-Torque. Not many people run the GL4 that I have seen so it is hard to tell.

We'll see, I have my normal commute tomorrow so I can give an apples to apples run down on temps.

Lose the 3 in. crossover an run a 2in. an i'll bet egt's go down...

Turbonator, the only issue with the HX40II that concerned me was the machining flashing left around the inner portion of the wastegate hole. Other than that, I cannot complain on the quality of the unit at all. It was my nit pick on the snailshell to sand that smooth(er).

The shaft play and ease of spinning striaght out of the box was fine in comparison to other turbos I have used as well as the GM-8 being removed.

Considering the first comments were gained after 20 miles of use, I would consider that reasonable for a break in period.

In the last two days of normal commuting the pyro has not gone over 900F. Also compared to the GM-8 at cruise temps are down about 100F and boost is 2 psi lower. So I think the HX40II is doing a fine job in relation to the GM-8.

I'm just waiting on the mailman for the final touches and I think the board will be pleased with the results.

This could prove to be a very cost effective alternative to GM-X rebuilds or new replacements. Although my costs were a bit higher due to analness on the air intake, most people will opt for the drop in 3" intake which is a piece of cake.

Really time will tell on this turbo swap as to the quality of the bearings. But the same woudl apply to any rebuilt GM-X (or other) turbo anyway.

I just got my HX40wII today! Still waiting on some other odds and ends though. I think m gonna hold off on the install until next week or so, Im waiting to get injectors.

What better time to change while the turbo is out lol

great job on the builds guys! I clicked on the ebay link to look at the turbo yall are using, It looks like it has a silencer ring... any plans on removing it if so?;)

Update:

The intake part arrived yesterday! So I installed them last night along with the K&N filter. Now I have a full 4" intake using the K47 airbox... Granted it is tight! Pics later.

I also lengthened the wastegate actuator rod on the HX40II as long as I could go. I *think* this puts me at 14.5PSI. Judging from this mornings commute, but I did not have a good opportunity to open it up all the way from a stop-70 to really tell.

FWIW is runs very well at 85 MPH :) Much less backpressure!

So far so good!

Ugh. I'm going to have to get involved with one of these upgrades on my truck. It needs injectors and well you know. . since the turbos going to have to be yanked anyway. . . I'm thinking of buying a real Holset HX40w that needs rebuilt from flea-bay. When I tear it down for a rebuild, I could post component dimensions (shaft OD, etc) for comparison to the Asian "40II" model. Just to help decipher some of the unknowns. Unfortunately I'm going to try to do the responsible thing first and buy injectors before the turbo.

Very interesting to think about the high GMX Drive pressures putting strain on these engines . . .

Ugh. I'm going to have to get involved with one of these upgrades on my truck. It needs injectors and well you know. . since the turbos going to have to be yanked anyway. . . I'm thinking of buying a real Holset HX40w that needs rebuilt from flea-bay. When I tear it down for a rebuild, I could post component dimensions (shaft OD, etc) for comparison to the Asian "40II" model. Just to help decipher some of the unknowns. Unfortunately I'm going to try to do the responsible thing first and buy injectors before the turbo.

Very interesting to think about the high GMX Drive pressures putting strain on these engines . . .

I got me one of them hx40II turbo and also need injectors. Getting injectors next week!

Pillow- thats great news cant wait to see the pics.

Ok, I can still peg it out at 15... I cannot figure a way to adjust the rod out any longer to lower boost...

Screw it, time for a bigger boost guage! Let it roll.

Did you remove that brass colored ring from the intake side? it looks like a silencer ring?

Im still waiting for my dp adapter, should have it today. I cant wait to get my turbo on!

Decisions, Decisions! The ATT with the tune and blanket is $1200, this install would be ~$700 and a Heath Tune is what, $500?

When it comes down to it the ATT is actually less...

I left the brass ring in place... Someone post some pics on how to remove it and what the actual difference is. :)

... $ wise it depends. But yes I agree that they are within a couple hundred of each other.

Basic HX40II:
- Turbo $280
- Downpipe and fitting $115
- 2.25 to 2.5 coupler and t-bolts est $15
- Mouting bolts est $10
- Oil drain hose extension est $5
- 90 degree 4" to 3" elbow and t-bolts est $25
- reuse existing air intake $0

= $450*

* Since it seems that I am the only one sharing the COMPLETE parts list and $$$, someone feel free to input your real costs as well so there is more of a sampling. * (especially on the other site, there are loads of pictures but very little of $ or how-to. this is a much much better discussion thread here on TTS :) )

** My costs were whacked by the true 4" K47 intake and battery upgrade with The Big 3 0/1 wire install. **

The ATT seems to have a 3" inlet so that you can reuse the existing air intake system. I think the chopped up intake manifold is less than appealing on the ATT intstalls though. Also once in place with the HX40II, the 4" air intake is pretty cool :) (whether it adds anything productive HP wise is another question though, lol)

I still think for towing the ATT is the way to go. For day to day HX40II. YMMV, that was my logic anyway.

Back