• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hard Cold Start

I set it. The purpose of the reset was to try and determine if I had a sheared key on timing chain and gear. if it was sheared it would keep moving and I wouldn't be able to set TDCO again without moving IP.

AK,did you pop test the squirts? where did these marine inj came from,and what press are they suppose to pop at?

I have on the wife's 95 the stock inj set at 2200 psi,and been running like that for over 40 k,(2 yrs) the IP has well over 200 k on it.Allways fires right up.

I dont think the marines caused the IP to fail.

I didn't check my comp. The main reasons I decided to get a new IP was a combination of things. First I think the cold start issue is the IP. Second when I do Heath's 2000 rpm test it show some stumbling starting at about 1500 rpm. Third and probably related to the 2000 rpm test is the truck is jerky at about 1500 rpm.

The truck has always had a little stumble/jerkiness but it never was present with the cruise control on so I assumed it was the APP. Since I started troubleshooting the cold start issue it seems like the stunbling /jerkiness has gotten worse. Which I would think is indicating a fast decline in the IP. So if nothing else I wanted to have a spare on hand so I can fix it when it does go out. I'll be working about 300 miles from home pretty soon and didn't want to get stranded out in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure you can relate to that Bison.

Based on the rest of your story,you'r prob right in getting an other IP.
that the stumbling is not present with cruise on, does suggest "that" prob lies elsewhere.
Did you try an other APP?

I hear ye on getting caught with the pants down out there.

What's wierd was it's been that way for over 100k. Not bad at all just the faintest hint of jerkiness. Now it's much more pronounced especially in the last few weeks.

You're doing it the right way anyhow AK, changing the pump out at your convenience, when its nice outside. Hopefully it licks the problem. If not, at least you have a fresh IP in. Good to go for another 150-200k with proper lubing.

I'm not suggesting Marine Injectors kill IP's. Just curious is all. 120k out of IP is alot of miles. The day will come for me also to change the IP out. I just hope it works out like AK's, so I can do it at my convenience, in the summer time.

Good Luck AK on the swap.

Interesting change in my truck in the last few weeks. About 3-4 weeksa ago it suddenly started much better. Been using a quart of 30 in each tank all summer I don't know if that partially healed it or if it's the "Christine" effect. At this rate I'm going to put it off as long as possible. I've probably put close to 10k miles on it since it started acting up. Mileage is about the best it's ever been too.

Interesting change in my truck in the last few weeks. About 3-4 weeksa ago it suddenly started much better. Been using a quart of 30 in each tank all summer I don't know if that partially healed it or if it's the "Christine" effect. At this rate I'm going to put it off as long as possible. I've probably put close to 10k miles on it since it started acting up. Mileage is about the best it's ever been too.

Good news. If its not broke, don't fix it for sure in this day of age of ultra quality replacement parts.

I am experiencing many of the same symptoms ….I have been undecided for a long time on what additive to put into the fuel tank and would like to try the simplest fix first by adding a good lubricant to the fuel. I know this is a cold start thread but what is the current thought on oil additive for our engines, and how much?

SAE 30 (non detergent) or 2 Stroke oil 1 oz. to a gallon of fuel.....and some kind of Cetane boost/lubricant/anti-gel additive, such as Diesel Clean performance formula, Standyne, etc. (mix to specs on bottle)

But, this is not a cold start fix.....Start with Glow plugs, Controller, GP wires.....

Check out Diesel Tech library (top of page).....Lots of good reading and general info.

I'm running just the 30wt in the summer but occasionally I use stanadyne in the winter when it gets real cold. The stanadyne adds very little lubricty to the fuel. I did buy my stsnadyne in bulk guy had me bring in my 5 gallon gas can and he filled it up quite a bit cheaper than the bottles.

I put in Duraterms when I put the ATT on and fixed some of the bad glow plug connectors. I have been using diesel clean for a while but have read often on here that most everyone uses some oil for added lubrication…thought now is a good time to get on board. Thanks for the assistance.

Update A little over 1 year later I changed my IP. Made a huge difference. Starts right up when cold no hesitating under acceleration and my seat of the pants dyno say alot more power and quieter too. I think the sticking advance made it more clattery.

Just started starting really hard lately. So much so I was worried it wouldn't start at all one morning. I unplugged the ect and it would start much better. CLOUDS AND CLOUDS of SMOKE.

Back