• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hard Cold Start

Problem solved. Good learning experience for all of us. It is a proof that we have a lot of good people here.

Thanks for updating.

Update back to same cold start situation this morning. Hey Buddy have you got the ohm readings for the different temps for the CTS. Thought maybe I'd check my new Napa premium sensor and make sure I didn't get a bad new part. I also spent about 1/2 hour on the phone with Bill Heath this morning. We talked about all the things I'd checked and done to my rig. Kinda came down to pull injectors and have them checked or the IP. Don't know if I'll have time to do any of that very soon so I guess I'll have to live with it until I can find some more time.

Another update. After sitting all night so it was stone cold I unplugged my ECT and it fired right up. So I called and talked to bill some more and he gave me some other things to check.

1. After cold soak all night hook up scanner and see what temp it is giving PCM.
2. Get it back up to temp and turn everything off so absoultely no load and check idle fuel rate and do another TDCO to see if it's still in the same area number wise. ( Wondering if the key has sheared on timing chain)

Values of the sensor should be in this ballpark. With a scanner things are easier to see. Not only what does it show at cold, but what does it show if sensor is unplugged? And what about if you just jumper the sensor harness with a paperclip or something?

50*F = 5670ohms
59*F = 4450ohms
68*F = 3520ohms
176*F = 332ohms
194*F = 241ohms

Values of the sensor should be in this ballpark. With a scanner things are easier to see. Not only what does it show at cold, but what does it show if sensor is unplugged? And what about if you just jumper the sensor harness with a paperclip or something?

50*F = 5670ohms
59*F = 4450ohms
68*F = 3520ohms
176*F = 332ohms
194*F = 241ohms

With the sensor unplugged it read -40 with it jumpered it read 340. It did read about 10* warmer than ambient air temp though.Don't know if that matters or not. Also I did another TDCO and as far as I can tell nothing had changed. So my list of things to check is getting really short. Starting to look like a new IP for sure now.

So anyone got any suggestion on where to buy a rebuilt IP? Prefer someone with a good reputation. Mine seems like it's gotten alot worse in the last 2 weeks or maybe I'm just paying more attention now.

Pensacola Diesel Injection has them w/o pmd for $450 on ebay, or google them

Leo

So when ECT sensor its unplugged it works fine. What is the TDCO value now? Idle fuel rate and idle injeciton timing?

Maybe you just need to advance the IP a little.

My TDCO is at -1.94. Haven't checked my idle fuel rate injecvtion timing shows 10.9. Ordered an IP from Pensecola this am.

I wonder if those marine injectors wore out your IP prematurely?? How many miles on the IP? And how many miles have you put on it since the marine injectors?

Back