• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bring it on! Att vs. Hx35

hmm now that is somthing to think about!! maybe ill try bolth!! seeing as there is a large mountan pass vary close to my house! I love testing out new things and braking from the norm! but if the norm works better we will stick with that! i do know in my toyots 4x4 at MOAB UT i run about 30-40 cooler playing on the rocks with a e fan than i ever did with any combo of clutch or fixed belt driven fan! and thats a 2.4l l4 pushin stacked t cases bolth with 4:1 gears , 5.29 gears in diffs and 36" swampers!

so we will test! guess it cant hurt that flex o lit factory is right down the street :thumbsup:and the GFs best frend works there!! LOL

and if under hood heat is such a big deal has anyone tryed blowers like on boats to suck some of that hot air out??? im not saying cut a hole in the hood and bolt a 6000 cfm fan to the hood but some kinda blower sucking air frpm under the hood!

wouldnt that in theary also help the rad fan by sorta making - air preshure behind the rad

Pete

Last edited:
Couple of folks out that way already running ATTs, pulling horse trailers and such over those Western passes no IC's on them.

IIRC there are nearly (50) ATT equipped rigs out there, mine is the high miler turbo, over 30K on it 2 years in service, It would have been more miles but I swapped out the prototype Mitsubishi TD07-22A for the ATT a@ about 20K miles on that one, I did run a IC on but have since eliminated it deeming it not necessary replaced by WMI once I install it.

If you want to study up on the 22A it is what the ATT was patterned to, with a couple of tweaks her & there to make it not "zactly" the same. I have not run a dyno on it because I lacked 2 things time & money this truck has been running virtually non-stop since March 2005, other than routine preventative and the odd bit of corrective maintenance.

Last time I did dyno it in 2005 prior to the ATT install and lacking other things like FTB, and hotter reflash I rolled 200rwhp & 400 # ft rwtq with my GM-8, another guy Ronnie Joe rolled 228 I think with his.

I think I was rolling 147-ish rwhp on my mostly stock setup with F PCM back in 2003, I'll see if I have the sheets somewhere. I've dynoed twice now and know the delta & feeling of a +50 Hp gain, & by seat of pant and way it accelerates/tows, if I'm not at 300hp rwhp I'm not too far from it. About 10 members of the site here have ridden in it now, all were impressed with the go fast and grunt ability of the ATT equipped 6.5.

Last edited:
dos any one know the CFM on a D-max fan??? ya every one seas the dmay fan is the way to go but i cant see how it would work better than a pair of 16" 3500 cfm fans!! with hi-low! i mean there is even more fan blade surface area! and it works the same no mater the rpm! and if i pull over to do whatever that still work!

i mean the math seams to work for dual 16" e fans over dmax but i wish i hade the cfm rate on the d-max fan!

i think i will try the dual e fan set up and see what hapons! i can always go back to the d-max fan right?!

Pete

I measured a clutch fan at 10,000 CFM in a trailblazer - with all the restrictions in place like hood closed and radiators. This 21" 10 blade fan was not enough to keep me cool. I put in a Duramax fan and run cooler.

It takes 5-25 HP to turn the fan per other calculations. Your alternator is rated at less than 2HP at full output. Electric fans simply can not equal the airflow for a clutch fan when needed. The ones that could are bigger than the engine compartment.

ya the truck is rather clean!! but the rad on the other hand! UGGG ! like 7 rats nests! probably a huge part of the prob!!

out to the shop to take the oil pan off the old motor and see whats inside!! :D

wow i made this thing go BOOOOM good!!! have a look!
pic 2 dex cool not oil
pic 3 hole in pan
pic 1,4,5 this is how the piston came out!!! where did the rod go?????????:WTF:
dually motor3.jpgdually motor2.jpgdually motor1.jpgdually motor4.jpgdually motor5.jpg

Last edited:
Ummmm... If you're gonna break it, might as well do a good job of it.:eek: YIKES!
I'd guess the block is gonna tell you UH-UH, I'm toast...:nonod:

o ya block is roched! i really couldnt get a good pic with the crappy shop cam! ill bring my nikon tomorrow and see if i can get some good shots of the block! but there are big chunks missing at the bottom of the cyl walls!!!!

Pete

Where is the pics of the skinny office girl.... (insert leg humping here) Just kidding.

That thing is one hurtin unit, the truck on the other hand I am jelous... I want a crew dually bad.

hmm now that is somthing to think about!! maybe ill try bolth!! seeing as there is a large mountan pass vary close to my house! I love testing out new things and braking from the norm! but if the norm works better we will stick with that! i do know in my toyots 4x4 at MOAB UT i run about 30-40 cooler playing on the rocks with a e fan than i ever did with any combo of clutch or fixed belt driven fan! and thats a 2.4l l4 pushin stacked t cases bolth with 4:1 gears , 5.29 gears in diffs and 36" swampers!

so we will test! guess it cant hurt that flex o lit factory is right down the street :thumbsup:and the GFs best frend works there!! LOL

and if under hood heat is such a big deal has anyone tryed blowers like on boats to suck some of that hot air out??? im not saying cut a hole in the hood and bolt a 6000 cfm fan to the hood but some kinda blower sucking air frpm under the hood!

wouldnt that in theary also help the rad fan by sorta making - air preshure behind the rad

Pete
Glad I read this all the way through.

For getting the heat out and or cooler air in you could try venting the hood with louvers. Either a customized job where the louvers are cut into the hood or purchasing a kit as I have. I'm more of a Frankenstein type so the add on w/o all the rivets exposed is fine by me.
Here's the thread I posted with the install. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sho...he-hot-air-out. Yeah I made a lot of mistakes but I'm no fab guy and I bought this thing to have fun with. "Mission Accomplished"

The telling part are the hash up videos the frau and I put together. They're posted towards the end. At idle the air flows up and out of the louvers and at 55mph outside air is being drawn in. So, when you're crawling along (think off pavement in Moab) or stopped the hot stuff has a route out the top.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you but you've got the time, talent and place to get it all done. Have fun.

hmm! somthing to think about!!a cool idea!! thank you for your .02 i do like the idea!!

i wonder if some kinda ram air hood would do any good?????

but we will save all that for another thread!!

Pete

I've been wondering the same thing, only with a bit of a twist to it. Ram scoops big enough to supply enough air so that the oil and tranny coolers can be relocated to the hood and away from in front of the radiator. Of course they would need to be backed up with thermostatically controlled fans for those times when the road speed was not fast enough to cool adequately.

Don

but if thay are bolted to the under side of the hood thay would need really long lines that would be under the hood and gathering heat! wouldnt thay??

Pete

Paveltolz

Do you know how much free air the hood vents give that you added? I can't remember if you even had that info in your thread.

By the way, the link doesn't work.

Don

Back