• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Yet another 6.5 build --- this one for towing

I would say each motor is different as well. some motors' harmonics may make a Fluidampr a bad choice, but AFAIK, no 6.5L has snapped a crank because of a fluidampr. break one down the road after running a bad OEM one for a few thousand miles maybe, but replacing a healthy OEM damper with a Fluidampr and then having it break? never heard of it.

I would say each motor is different as well. some motors' harmonics may make a Fluidampr a bad choice, but AFAIK, no 6.5L has snapped a crank because of a fluidampr. break one down the road after running a bad OEM one for a few thousand miles maybe, but replacing a healthy OEM damper with a Fluidampr and then having it break? never heard of it.

The problem with them on the DURAMAX comes in when you turn the power up. They work fine at stock power levels, but the guys pushing them up with lowered compression, rods, and everything else have broken cranks with them. The theory I heard tossed around was the fluidamper was to heavy for the crank considering many of these guys were turning them up to 5K RPM's.

I'm not sure how the Fluidampr would handle significant changes to the rotating mass. Going back to not be able to balance them with the fluidampr. Thats something to ask the designers, if you can use them with lighter cranks, pistons or rods and what kind of tolerance is acceptable from stock weights. One of those gotchas when thinking about how other mods affect the whole system.

Update ---

Got the crank, pistons,cam,lifters,and gear drive in, going to be a few days before I can get the pan on, I'm cutting it and extending it about 4 inches...

any pictures of the gear drive? what brand/where did you get it?

I am on the fence about going gears, but with parts quality these days, I am leaning towards staying away from the chain.

Got the heads back together and installed using studs, still working on the oil pan, almost ready for some "Cat Yellow paint" , next week maybe.

NO!!! That's a hideous color!(I used to work for caterpillar) lol :p

Too late, I just finished the 2nd coat a few minutes ago, I used the paint from Eastwood co, it sure does lay down nice & hard. Tomorrow when everything is dry I will snap a few pics, need to get the pan finished now and when the pump & turbo are done I might be getting closer to installing.

Here she is all painted up....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chris,
Been meaning to drop by and see how the build was going. A lot of progress and patience with these projects and your doing a good job. I'm trying to finish one up in the next 2 weeks-be on it for a year. Going to spray it next week.
I like the Cat color as long as your the one that keeps it clean-good choice! Until next time.

Michael

Chris,
Been meaning to drop by and see how the build was going. A lot of progress and patience with these projects and your doing a good job. I'm trying to finish one up in the next 2 weeks-be on it for a year. Going to spray it next week.
I like the Cat color as long as your the one that keeps it clean-good choice! Until next time.

Michael

Thanks Michael, It will still be a while before I get it in, have some things to do to the truck to handle the fuel I'm going to run, and my pump is being reworked now also the turbo will be ready in a few weeks, still lots of little things to be done.

I have decided to use my single stat crossover instead of the one I got from you, oh well, someone will need it maybe....

Work in progress.....

Hey SCTRAILRIDER,

What are you doing to your PUMP you state its getting reworked? You have the 250 or 300HP marine DB2 pump. I was think about getting one from Kennedy Diesel just asking how you like it if your trying to improve it any, also anything new with the build?

Hey SCTRAILRIDER,

What are you doing to your PUMP you state its getting reworked? You have the 250 or 300HP marine DB2 pump. I was think about getting one from Kennedy Diesel just asking how you like it if your trying to improve it any, also anything new with the build?

John at Unique Diesel is working it, going to set it up for 115cc fuel, I don't think I will need anymore fuel than that, you could look at his web site, he builds pumps and can set them up any way you need them set, he knows more about it than I do.....

Where did you get the Hard Block and how long do you let it cure for? Looks like you're using the stock rocker arm/shaft setup...they new? Did you put in a cast steel Scat crank?

Back