• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Yet another 6.5 build --- this one for towing

Did you ever decide what you were going to do with a cam? Or you were going to use a stocker that you coated right? I'll look back in a minute here I guess lol

As of now, I am going with the stock cam, I thought about maybe talking with Bill Heath and see if I could get a really good price for his towing cam kit because I am going to have it on a dyno several times this winter or spring, I could get some dyno numbers for him with a "Hot manual pump & a pro 40 turbo"...... BUT I figured he would not want the info and would not cut me a deal so I'm not going to bother about it.....

You won't know if you don't try.:)

Well, I guess that is right, but there are several members here that have spent a lot of money with him and I don't think he cuts them any slack, I could be wrong, but the few times I have talked to him, I got the feeling that it wouldn't happen if I were to bring it up, so I will make do with what I have, I think that if anyone knows just a little about ceramic coatings, this is going to help turn loose some HP that is lost to parasitic drag, I know it already from the people that have used it and from there data.

As of now, I am going with the stock cam, I thought about maybe talking with Bill Heath and see if I could get a really good price for his towing cam kit because I am going to have it on a dyno several times this winter or spring, I could get some dyno numbers for him with a "Hot manual pump & a pro 40 turbo"...... BUT I figured he would not want the info and would not cut me a deal so I'm not going to bother about it.....

You want to get a real good price from him on a camshaft, cut you a deal, really...........maybe he has read some of your past posts about Heath Diesel.

You want to get a real good price from him on a camshaft, cut you a deal, really...........maybe he has read some of your past posts about Heath Diesel.

No not really, and I don't think I have said anything bad against him, maybe some have taken it that way, and I thought that I had made it clear that I meant no harm towards him or his work, if my words were taken that way then so be it..

You could always get that delta 206 and go with that. I'm going to run that and I know dzz71 has run it with good results(lower egts I believe) but I digress before this turns out like the past... :rolleyes5:

I am wondering how long the coating will stay on the bearing surface? Any chance it could "peel off" ?

I have pics of a customer that had 40,000 miles on a set when he burnt a valve, the rod & mains & crank look new, no wear.... Tech Line has done lots of test that show it will make bearings last 3-4 times longer than uncoated. It will NOT peel off, it bonds with the metal when baked, BUT the base metal does need to be prepped right to get it right. I can only say that after doing the coating for years for other people and seeing some of the parts after they went in and checked things, I wouldn't be doing it to my motor if I wasn't SURE it worked..... when all is said & done I will have LOTS & LOTS in this motor and truck... I am sure of the coatings..

Now that the balancing is done, I finished coating the pistons, they got a Thermal Dispersant/oil shedding coating on the underside to help cool them. This is the same coating I used on the heads under the valve cover/rocker area. The coating will make oil roll off like wax does water, therefor helping move heat away.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rods are getting this same coating now, they are in the oven getting baked....

I am wondering how long the coating will stay on the bearing surface? Any chance it could "peel off" ?

Cumminsfever,

Here are the pics of a set of bearings that had 40,000 miles on them, they show no wear, only a " highly burnished " surface, the owner put them back in and has been running them for 2 years now, they still had the original "plasti-gauge" gap as when he first installed them, and this set is in a rice burner and he runs it like he stole it, high rpm's and lots of boost....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice! Obvious proof that it don't come off!

Are you sure your engine will shutoff when you cut the fuel? With all this slickery stuff in there, it's liable to become a perpetual motion machine :)

Definitely need to hear a vid of it running... when you get it together! Keep up the good work!

I will, the dyno is only about 10 miles from me, and some of my customers use it so I will be able to use it as needed, the price is a little high tho, they get 85$ for 3 pulls, no time limit really, I will have plenty of time to do some tuning..... I hope....

So not trying to start anything but I was wondering since you coated bothe the pistons and rods won't your balance be off by the weight of the coating and the amount of oil it sheds more than standard? I'm sure that's a small amount but am curious if any thought has been done in that regard. Looking good I wish it was mine,

So not trying to start anything but I was wondering since you coated bothe the pistons and rods won't your balance be off by the weight of the coating and the amount of oil it sheds more than standard? I'm sure that's a small amount but am curious if any thought has been done in that regard. Looking good I wish it was mine,

When we went over the specs for the balancing we figured the oil weight for coated rod & pistons, (this shop does a lot of coated type balancing) and the amount of weight the coating adds is very very light, it's not like paint, it goes on thin then bakes into the metal, it might add a Grain to the weight, not enough to think about. I'm not going to coat the crank, it is a LOT of work and time and the motor doesn't turn high enough RPM's to be a cost benefit to me..

And just a side note, all machining needs to be done before the coating is done......

so you have a spec for the reduced oil from using the coating?

Yes they do, all tho I don't know how they have come up with it, :???: I guess every balancing shop has there own idea on the subject, this shop only does race motors, joe blow can't just bring his stuff in and get it machined, they wouldn't have done mine if they didn't know me from the past...

be interesting to know that spec and compare it to normal. Should give some rough idea how effect the coating is. It's not that I don't believe it works but there's nothing like data. I might even have to see about getting myself set up to do it my self.

Back