• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

I’m sure You are well versed on how to remove the old pilot bushing/bearing if You dont have a puller system.
Pack it with grease. A shaft/bolt/etc that just fits the bore and drive it onwards with a hammer, pack in more grease as needed until the bushing pops out and hangs on the shaft.
I bought a puller like the one used at the 17:30 mark in the following video:

Also bought the seal remover tool. Both tools were about $25 off Amazon. Well worth it even though I will not use them that often. This clutch replacement is easily a $1,200 job if I had someone do it for me.

I pulled the clutch and throw-out bearing this am. Also degreased the bell housing of the transmission. Clutch plate was almost down to the rivets. TO bearing moved freely with no obvious source of the sound I was hearing.

71734557899__BEDF7A9F-7414-4D6A-9AE0-9343096448DD.jpeg71734571513__F0FBCDF5-779E-449B-A4A0-41C414550756.jpeg71734573586__6F3A0C51-5251-477E-9F3F-8A3C9AE1C9D6.jpeg
IMG_0620.jpeg

Last edited:
Good news: the Lisle tool arrived today.

Bad News: Tool is not long enough to generate the necessary leverage to pull that seal.

Any suggestions. I have this type of puller:
IMG_0626.jpeg

Not sure I can make it work with the crankshaft sticking out and I’ve got interference from the transmission. That seal is hard from age and really baked in there.

That's what I was gonna suggest. get a screw into the metal part of the seal then use a pair of dykes to pry with. you might need to use a flat blade screw driver or a small prybar, the flat of it under the dykes for added leverage and something to pry against.

if it's really stuck and has some sealant in the hole holding the seal in place, you might need to use two screws opposite sides of the seal and go back n fourth prying some on one screw then switch to the other. also if you can hammer something into the lip between the seal and the block surface to buckle the seal without scorring the block surface, that will usually do the trick loosening it up to pull.

Make a miniature puller. Use a piece of 3/16” metal or 1” plywood making a disk slightly larger than the OD of the seal. Drill holes for sheet metal screws to go in at 12:00,3:00, 6:00 & 9:00 positions. The screws go through the metal (or plywood) disk and into the seal. Place socket into the crankshaft where the pilot bearing normally is. You don’t want the socket to rub the sides, needs to bottom out in the hole. Running in the sheet metal screws a little at a time will pull the seal out.

Sometimes using things like a steering wheel puller and long sheet metal screws with fender washers can do it.

All you have to do is remember the movie the Waterboy. He just needed the motivation by pretending the other football players or someone making fun of him or his mother.

That seal is Biden and the crankshaft his presidential office. Now get it out of there.

All you have to do is remember the movie the Waterboy. He just needed the motivation by pretending the other football players or someone making fun of him or his mother.

That seal is Biden and the crankshaft his presidential office. Now get it out of there.
I went to Home Depot to get some appropriate sheet metal screws. While driving down our street I saw my neighbor collapsed by her trash can at the street. I pulled into our drive and rushed over to help her. Got her standing next to the trash can and I held her while a relative went to get keys to his vehicle to take her to emergency. She doubled over while I was holding her and I eased her back down to a sitting position propped against my leg.

Eventually Fire Dept and then ambulance arrived. Funny discussion with Fire:

Steve: You probably remember me from burning yard trimmings.

Fire: Hey I thought you were in Montana?

Steve: Wife is, but I’m back down here because they make me go into the LA office 2x a week. I need to talk to you about a burn permit.

Fire: That’s right, up in Montana they let you do whatever you want (as far as burning).

Steve: Not true. We have burn periods in the spring and fall and Fire will come out to help and supervise.

Back