• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Are you buying straight diesel or bio blend?
Around here it's hard to find straight diesel at the gas stations. Almost all bio.

If it's bio, you shouldn't have to worry about lubricity. Mostly goo and bugs.

I add a little bug killer and about any additive.

I used to badd gasoline and ashless 2 stroke. Both at 500 to one. Quit on the gasoline since getting the Ford with the CP4 and the Kubota.
I'm not really liking the new stuff.

Got the truck back from my son who finally got his car repaired (did it himself, I’m impressed).
So, Washed it, filled it with fuel and some 2 Stroke for luck, drove it, hauled a new table saw home and just generally enjoyed the heck out of having it back and how well its running.
These trucks are nice when they are running well.

I will be driving through and staying in your area 10/14 with April in the ‘99 Suburban.

I seem to recall some of the stations having stickers on their pumps showing "may contain up to 10% bio" with a pic of a corn on the cob.

this is a section from the loading racks my work gets their fuel from. it's an unbranded fuel only sold in texas (whatever that means) but I am told by the drivers that it's the same fuel thy deliver to most every station other than an Exxon, Shell or Valero who all require "branded" fuel.

I don't see any mention of bio on the load paperwork here. I know that's not saying my usually station Quick Trip I go fill at uses the same.

1695153409369.png
1695153431198.png

I seem to recall some of the stations having stickers on their pumps showing "may contain up to 10% bio" with a pic of a corn on the cob.

this is a section from the loading racks my work gets their fuel from. it's an unbranded fuel only sold in texas (whatever that means) but I am told by the drivers that it's the same fuel thy deliver to most every station other than an Exxon, Shell or Valero who all require "branded" fuel.

I don't see any mention of bio on the load paperwork here. I know that's not saying my usually station Quick Trip I go fill at uses the same.

View attachment 83541
View attachment 83542
You know what the difference between branded and unbranded is? They pull the brand specific additive spigot when filling the tanker truck.

View attachment 83541
View attachment 83542
It's all the same fuel in the big tanks. They add the additive packages to the tankers when loading. At least that's the way it's done at the local tank farm.

exactly. it's all the same fuel except for the additive packages. 90% of the stations nowadays get the cheapest they can get and the hauling companies are dispatched to whichever racks are lower that day. here at my work I am the one who manages our tank levels and goes out with the drivers unloading to fill our tanks. I have seen some of the murkiest looking cloudy greenish orange fuel to fuel that is so clear that it looks like water. it all depends on which rack it came from and the additives used.

around here Flinthills and Valero are always the clean and clearest where Calumet has the worst. talking to the drivers here, they tell me Calumet is the cheapest but also can have more water content and other nasties in both gas and diesel. they tell me that all the foreign owned independent stations and places like walmart request it from there. I have never heard of any issues pointing directly to ether of the sources, but only from stations that don't maintain their storage tanks and the occasional cross drops where a hauler accidentally drops diesel over gas or vice versa.

I do know one thing I did years ago (has nothing to do with diesel engines) I had an old kerosene heater I used in the garage and for emergency heat. I had ran out of kerosene one time and everyone was closed. we were having some cold winter days and I needing something to keep some pipes from freezing in the garage around our washer. on a whim I ran out to the local Shell station and filled a 5 gallon can with diesel. it just so happened to be the clear as water diesel. filled the heater and never had an issue with it. I went back to kerosene later but thinking about it and how much higher in price the kerosene was, I decided to try to continue using diesel in it for heat when I was working on something out there.

the next time I bought from the station just around the corner from the house which turned out to be the cloudy greenish yellow color. poured it in the heater and within about 30 minutes the wick clogged up something bad. I ended up replacing the wick twice before realizing it was that murkie diesel that was doing it.

Now I have no idea if if works the same for engines or the complete opposite where our engines and pumps are better on the ugly stuff.

Well, I got home from work today and went though all the connections on the IP and PMD extension. I didn't see anything suspicious, but I cleaned them all anyway. reconnected the laptop cleared codes and ran it for a bit. at first there were no codes and all was working great. revving the engine up past 2500 and holding it up there with no check engine light. I was also watching the injection pulse width reading on the screen, it seems to stay a 1.90 to 2.01 no matter what RPM it's at. After about 10 minutes of that I noticed the IPW reading seemed to have stopped moving, looked at the dash and wouldn't ya know it, the light was back on! 💩💩

I dug out the spare PMD from behind the seat and connected it just it laying there on the side with it's heatsink. started it up and went at it again...
no codes and no light. worked the pedal for another few 10-15 minutes and all seemed fine. the IPW reading on the laptop was changing from idle at 1.90-2.01 to 1.88 at 2500+ RPM. so I commenced swapping it out for the one in the bumper.

interestingly I found that both heatsinks were the same! what are the odds I had found this one with a Pensacola PMD in the pick a part yard with the same heatsink! my heatsink and extension harness with PMD came from some Chinese seller on amazon about a 1-1/2 years ago.

I didn't swap out the extension, just the PMD. so if I have more issues I will know my junk extension is to blame, but it's mounted now and for the meantime no codes or dash light!

Only time will tell if this fixes the issue. one thing I need to learn is where the PCM gets it's pulse width reading from. I think it's from the optic sensor, but idk.

oh yeah, I also looked at my IP and got the date on the IP. the sticker reads 06/08/10 so it's 13 going on 14 years old.

Photo below of both PMD's the one with my finger is the old one from the jungle site, and the Pensacola one I pulled from the JY that is not installed.

IMG_4516.jpg

Chasing the total eclipse?
No, April needs to be in SoCal for knee surgery (meniscus tear) on 10/19. Bringing the Suburban down so I can work on it when I'm bored. It will have paint equipment in it and an inflatable paint booth. On the road to painting the '94 and '99. Tired of people frowning at my rides.

Well I drove the truck tonight, put about 20 or so miles on it and all seems to be good now. hopefully I dodged the bullet this time on the IP.

Also checked around for automotive paint supply shops near me in SoCal and there are plenty. Not sure if the paint I would need is banned in CA. It does sound like I will need a couple gallons of paint and clear coat to do a Suburban. My intention is to do the hoods and the roofs first, because they are in the worst condition.

She's has a hard life lol. Kinda looks like shes sunk in the ground too. Looks good though. I would like to find a roof rack that would span over my crew cab similar to that. I like your neighbors cactus garden!

Back