• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trouble Code and Head Gasket Questions

There is a sensor on the driver-side head, right behind the PS pump at the front of the head. What is that sensor?

That would make sense as it's positioned where the channel would be from what I can tell.

Ok, will take a few hours in the a.m. to complete the work before we can start her up. Yes, I'm very much looking forward to getting the burb back on the road :)

It will be clean when they are done ;) The FFM wasn't messed with.

If the IP inlet or the FFM was never messed with then I would just recommend the fuel/water draining method at the T-valve drain before firing up to prime the system. Its a good practice to do every 4 months or so anyway.

Were those fuel lines under the intake in good condition? With the intake off its a good time to find any rotting lines or free tools that were dropped in death valley there.

Good point on doing it pro-actively every 4 months...will do! The fuel lines were in decent condition, as the PO had the IP/injectors changed prior to me purchasing it. With respect to free tools, yes we did find one! Guess what it was *fat grin* ... it was a SnapOn s-bend wrench that was for the injectors. We were rather pleased as you can well imagine.

Beautiful Job:agreed: (and nice work on the truck too:hihi:).......Beautiful family, Love the blog......God Bless you all......You are a rich man!

God continues to bless me in spite of myself. The children are amazing...thanks for the comments on the blog...the wife does a wonderful job with it.

Update: Boys finished the burb just before I got home today. Took about 15 seconds for it to crank and it ran like a champ. The cooling system is working very well now. The old water pump was full of rust, which was a surprise. I think the other thing that I noticed most was how quiet it had become. Interestingly enough, when the boys had removed the exhaust manifolds, they noticed that there weren't any gaskets...which was rather surprising to me. The kit came with gaskets so they put them in. Having gaskets makes a big difference. While the turbo was off it was inspected. There was no play at all.

I'm really happy with how things turned out. At just over $300.00 and lots of hard work on their part, we saved a considerable amount of money and have a great running burb again. Thanks for all the input!

Andy

You should not have used the gaskets. They tend to blow out over time. The manifolds are a machined fit. I would not worry about it now but unless the manifolds or head surafces are damaged/worn it's best not to use ex manifold gaskets.

It seems gaskets have been used with success for several people, I havent heard any complaints from those that have used them for a few years already. The only vehicle I had a gasket issue with was one that had warped manifolds, where we swapped the gaskets like every 10,000 miles, that was an old Ford 302 and the job was 15 minutes. It was going to leak either way, even had the manifolds machined a couple times.

Same concept on the Head gaskets, ultra race engines dont use gaskets they machine the surfaces super flat, and lots of people have blown head gaskets out. Although Head Gaskets see a lot more heat and pressure than the exhaust manifolds. If I think there is an exhaust leak and Im not having the heads at a machine shop to perfect then I would put a gasket on it.

The addition of the turbo creating backpressure seems to give greater reason to add the gasket, since NA wouldnt have as much pressure on those seals.

1. I am getting this trouble code: DTC 85 - Transmission Gear - Other than the 85 being a transmission gear error, what would be the potential causes. The code doesn't occur all the time, but periodically. When it does occur, the burb shifts very hard. The code on the computer does say "undefined ratio error".

Andy,
Now that the Suburban is running again, are you having the transmission error still?

Sorry for my slack on getting this answered (haven't been on the forum)...the transmission error is gone, as are a number of other codes :D The burb is running quite well indeed...actually, extremely well. We just replaced the AC compressor and expansion valve in the rear and I'll be filling the system this evening.

I found this YouTube vid that I thought was rather helpful on headgasket troubleshooting...so I thought I'd pass it on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA7KVQq9vKA&feature=relmfu

That's well and good but that doesn't tell if it's HG or a cracked head or a cracked block. Don't need it, on a 6.5, you'll know....All that tells you is compression is getting into the cooling system.

Back