• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The "restification" of a 98 6.5 TD...

Hehe:

489914080_o.jpg

I'm not sayin' nothin' more.......

whistling.gif

Whats its application? I've got a stock arm with just the tow/haul button that Im going to use for the switch to control the second shift table on my OptiShift. The up/down buttons are cool.

GM part number - 25807851

Comes in fancy schmancy escalde/yukon versions in chrome and leather if you want to spend extra bucks.

Has to be modified, not a direct bolt in....

I finally got tired of hunting for my tuning stuff and dealing with balls of wiring and rounding up the modules.

So, a quick pass through the shop, some scrap wood and I built this:

617740ef.jpg

It's a rough box, but I took a little extra time and built a nice lid with a finished border. It's clamped up and drying over night.

I have to get some closed cell foam to line the compartment holding the interface modules. I'll also cut a couple slots to hold a couple cf cards that I keep a backup of all my software on.

A little soft foam on the underside of lid will keep it all nice and snug.

Now it'll be much easier to carry it all on a long trip or just to dash out to the truck to flash a new cal.

All in one nice, neat, organized place now....:)

Now, I just have to get myself a nice Panasonic toughbook to use in the truck on the road....I've got a dedicated toshiba a for tuning, I just sooooo want a toughbook. A cf-29 would do nicely....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick and dirty photoshop of the plan:

99b5d54lowersmudgetouch.jpg

The bumper GM should have put on in the first place.....

If only it were so easy to build it the real world!

The beginning of the metal work:

aea59b58.jpg

Cut the opening and saved the corner piece. Then trim to fit and weld it back in.

Et voila!

Wider opening and the corners still look factory fresh.

The lower lip is in the process of being filled in where the piece was cut out.

I just took the scrap piece left over, massaged it and trimmed it to build a new lip.

That's it for this weekend. I hit it with weldable primer and will get back to burnin' metal next week.......

have you looked at the bumpers in LMC?

Yup.

Prefer to build my own.

Further (since you can't edit after 15 mins :mad5: ) -

No offense intended to anyone who has one, but the LMC bumpers with the "custom" openings just look too "ricey" for me.

They look OK (well, some do) but it's just not to my preferences.

Mine will look like something the factory could have (or would have) done.

The objective is to get more air in there (part of a bigger plan) and for the average person to think it's just a factory bumper.

Obviously, those who know what a diesel bumper should look like will know it's altered.

I like to "fly under the radar".....

Well, I need a solution to DRL for the truck since I don't want to have the HID's burning all day long (DRL's are legislated/mandated in Canada).

I though about some LED strips on the front somewhere, but that's just too "ricey" and there's no way to work them in without looking bad.

I thought about some led's in the high beam housings, but there's something about that look I just don't like either.

Well, how about some LED's in the turn signals? Nah, would look OK when just running DRL's, but it's gonna look all "wonky" with the turn signals.

Looks like I'm going to have to put some lights in the bumper somewhere. I'd been trying to avoid that for the work and other reasons, but I'm just out of space.

So, photoshop for the quick visual:

f654d50a-1.jpg

I've got some 4" fog lights that have been following me across the country for the last 5 years. I'll blow the dust off them and slip them in. They will serve as both fog lights and DRL's.

I'm thinking about adding a ford DRL module (easy to adapt, easy to source a replacement and runs lights at half strength) to run the lights on half power to cut down the brightness since they come with 55W bulbs. If half strength is still too bright, I'll swap to 35W bulbs.

I'll use a relay network to "dual purpose" them as both DRL's and full strength fogs.

Basically; DRL's when headlights off, off when headlights are on and full fogs when selected on by a manual switch.

However, still not completely "sold" on the look........

I could swear there were air dams made for tow hooks and fog lights. Maybe find one or cut yours? Seems like the outline for fogs is on mine.

The aftermarket bumpers have the big air inlet and fog lights to.

I could swear there were air dams made for tow hooks and fog lights. Maybe find one or cut yours? Seems like the outline for fogs is on mine.

The aftermarket bumpers have the big air inlet and fog lights to.

The GM fog airdam was not available with a fog and towhook combination, it's one or the other. Although I think some rectangular fogs down there would look much better than trying to get some in the bumper. Would look close to factory.

As i'm sure you recall, I ran lights in both my airdams. 88 has factory foglight airdam with factory brackets and KC LX2 fog housing. The 99 had a cut towhook airdam and Dick Cepek dual beam lights.
P1100505.jpg

2011-08-21_20-00-24_743.jpg

Back