• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The "restification" of a 98 6.5 TD...

Yea i did lol...serves me right for trying to fire off a quick post just after waking up abruptly lol
Sometimes abruptly I fire off a quick post ...before I wake up which serves me right. :boggled:
But seriously folks here in the mid east we need a power ice chipper. Our problem is ice. We waver over the freezing point day to night usually, and that causes melt and refreeze. You cant plow ice. Or drive on it. Or sometimes even see it. :eek:

I know I said I was out of cash, but I need to do a light upgrade.

As in headlight upgrade. As in HID upgrade.

Mine are so dim now that the wife asks at least once a trip if my headlights are on. It's become a safety issue now for the darker than black @$$ night driving we have to do here and Moose running around flagrantly disregarding the rules of the road.

:eek:

The factory lenses have been cleaned over and over, but the halogens are old. Doesn't matter, I need more light even from a fresh set of stockers. The fact that even the cheapest cars have better lights from the factory doesn't help when one is behind me. They even wash out my truck's headlights from behind. My truck just makes a dark patch in front of me where it blocks their headlights!

:rolleyes5:

So, I pulled a set of Acura TSX projectors out that I've had on the shelf for years now.

500c6e15.jpg

2ac6705a.jpg

Yup, still as pristine as the day I bought 'em.

So, step one and no money spent (well, was spent a long time ago).

Now, I need ballasts and D2s capsules.

In truth I would already have a set of Denso Ballasts and bulbs, but some SOB named Keith Carlos (Lives near Atlanta) ripped me off for 200 bucks way back when I bought the projectors. Took my money and strung me along for 6 months. They're in the mail, I'm mailing them friday, I returned your money, I forgot and I'm sending it western union, etc, etc......

If you're out there you F'er, yes you're still a crook, yes you're a SOB and yes, it's just one more thing you'll have to answer for it when this life is up and you're standing in front of the "pearly gates".....you dirty F'n thief.

Anyways, needing some stuff but low on cash I trip on over to the last refuge of the "strapped for cash" shoppers.....eBay.

Search for a while and I come across a used set with cut wires, but it's all there. May or may not work.

8 bucks.

Snatch.

Mine.

Even if the ballasts don't work, I'll get my money out of the connectors and wiring alone. If the bulbs and ballasts work, they may become my high beams in a set of "non cut off" projectors I've got lying around.

So, I still need a set for the low beams.

Not wanting to trust my used eBay stuff for either the start of the build or full time use, I have a look around for something better.

Sure enough, any denso ballasts or other OE quality stuff is just too expensive for me right now.

I find a cheap "china" kit (what the hell isn't made in china anymore anyways?) that's got an affordable price tag on it.

35w Ballasts, 4300K D2S bulbs, Amp to D2S adapters and mounting brackets.

Everything I need.

40 bucks, free shipping to Canada.

Done.

I know, not the best quality but it will get me through until I can pop for some good ballasts and Phillips bulbs.

More importantly, it allows me to get on with retrofitting HID's.

I'll have to keep the DRL's, they're law in Canada.

Since it's in the low beams on the halogens, it won't work the HIDs and I'll have to come up with a different plan.

I'm thinking to build an LED board for the turn signals and make a couple rows white to run DRLs, the rest amber for turns and running lights. That will give me a smidge more room to run intercooling piping back there anyways...

I'll also be building a relay kit to power them directly from the batteries.

Now, I just have to find some clear lens housings that isn't going to cost 150 bucks....

Experimentation time:

Turbo master and HD PCM are comin' out.

Vac system and a special program reported to give 20-25 MPG on 4:10's and still have good power are goin' in......

Experimentation time: Turbo master and HD PCM are comin' out. Vac system and a special program reported to give 20-25 MPG on 4:10's and still have good power are goin' in......
Yea! :thumbsup: I was thinking someone was going to try MPG improvements on the OEM vac control. Now if it was a HX40II with the OEM vac control adapted. :D
:popcorn:

A little project I've got on the go that I've come to call "too much junk in the trunk":

11620b56.jpg

Built from 5/8 plywood, finished one side. It's good and solid so it doesn't deflect with a couple 100 lb dogs or something like a snowblower on it. I've tried, it's rock solid.

Long top compartments for rod and reel storage.

Lower compartments for tie downs, oil, washer fluid, and all that other "etc" stuff we haul around just because we're MEN goddammit!

Under the platform are two 6 foot long loading ramps that slide out for loading of heavy wheeled stuff.

The whole thing is removable without hand tools. The side boxes slip under the bed rails, have "cleats on the bottom and hold the "floor" down.

The floor friction fits between the wheel wells and holds the side boxes from sliding inwards.

It's sized that a 4x8 sheet of plywood will still slide right in with 5/8" to spare on either side. That's why you can still see the wheel wells; the side boxes are inset just enough to provide clearance.

It's mainly for the dogs comfort, but I also wanted utility so it didn't all have to come out to carry a couple sheets of drywall or plywood. 2 minutes without tools and it all comes out to haul dirt, mulch, or whatever.

I've run it over a couple bumps that damn near get air under the rear tires and it doesn't even wiggle.

Once finished, it'll get a covering of grey colored carpet and the cap will get the same stuff.

Long weekend!

Picked up a new belt today, vac system goes back on this weekend. Heath Diesel Turbo master goes into storage (no, not selling it).

Then the reflashed PCM goes in and tweaking for mpg begins. Heath PCM goes into storage also (not selling that either).

I have another PCM to reflash for a board member that I'm hoping to get to this weekend also.

It's all kind of temperature dependent. Cold temps break plastic and I'm not very "enthusiastic" about doing that to my personal truck.

I need to pick up a couple scrap harness connectors somewhere and finish building that bench flashing unit I've been working on. I can do it with just the pins, but I'd prefer the proper connector. Any one have a scrap OBDII PCM harness lying around?

I'll also be looking to finish up "too much junk in the trunk" except for the carpeting. Still have to find a decent source on this pathetic rock.....

Turbo master is off, vacuum system is back on and working great!

The new calibration is uploaded and runs like stink!

But I'm having a bear of a time turning off the "security" light on the dash.

The Passlock is disabled, that's not he problem. There's one module in the error reporting that's being stubborn. Tried it on two separate PCM's, same thing.

I've got a call in to the writer of the original vehicle definition file. Hopefully he can figure this out....

Well, I've more or less "stumbled" on the solution to my passlock issue.

I had to turn the byte back on and disable error reporting. I still won't turn off the byte for vats malfunction though.

I flashed the new cal into the PCM and it works.

Didn't do a relearn, no security light.

monkeydance.gif

It doesn't make any sense to me, but maybe lyndon will clear it up when he replies to my email.

The new cal is also running well.

It's a little "soft" on the bottom compared to the HD cal, but it's also running lower boost and stock fuel levels.

But flat to the floor will rip your forskin right back! ( I know, I know, yeeeeuck!)

Unloaded, pushin' carpet with the heavy foot and 8 psi not breaking 1200 F. I finally let off at 85 mph, egt's were dropping that point and it was still pullin' hard.

This is lyndons "fuel miser curve" (that's what I'm calling it, not him) that gets him around 20-25 with 4:10's on a 4x4 (like mine).

It's a really good place to start for maximizing the vac system.

3 psi and 500-525 at 60 mph steady state.

These are all "unloaded" figures. The 35 footer is still in storage.

I might start with tweaking up the boost a little bit to keep the egt's just a smidge bit under the 1200 point. Have to be conservative though as there's a point of diminishing returns law that will come into play here....

That was all just seat of the pants running after getting the new cal uploaded. I have to run a couple logs and see what figures come back and work from there.

TDCO needs a bit of work. Bounces between 44 and 53 on relearns. Summers on it way anyways so I'll "bump the pump" a bit negative...

Lyndon did a great job on the dyno with this little gem, I just have to massage it closer to my needs.

Ie: up fuel rates and boost above at certain %TPS, little bit of timing work, the modifiers, transmission and TCC stuff, etc.

Lyndon squeaked 190 RWHP out of this little bugger on his 425,000 km 6.5 truck IIRC, I'm willing to bet I can sneak it past 200 with a minimal loss in MPG. It'll be a bit hard to get past his mark without the wonderful dyno he has in his shop.....ah the toys, the toys.......

Now I have to get back to work on Louis' PCM, that thing is being a bugger and I have no idea why it's fighting me so much.....

Just a few random pics.

Truck in the "car hole" and once again goin' under the knife:

e0076840.jpg

What a new engine will get ya:

e72983e6.jpg

I only wiped a super thin film off with my finger. That's the first time it's been open in about 10,000 miles. The CDR location and valve gets blamed waaaay too often for oil in the intake. It's a worn engine that fills it with oil people!

Turbo master on it's way to retirement:

e4feb2ac.jpg

Wastegate vacuum pot back on:

e710473c.jpg

Got a bit of work done on project "too much junk in the trunk" also:

fb456207.jpg

You can see a small access door low on the left for smaller bits. There's no door on the RH side because it's one deep compartment behind the wheel well for oil bottle, washer fluids, etc.

A little closer:

bee11394.jpg

I've got "stretchy net" that will span the back and keep groceries, parcels and whatnot from sliding forward. Pretty much just hinge the compartment doors and cover it all with carpet. Probably add a few slider strips down the middle so things like 4x8 sheets of plywood won't damage the carpeting.

Then carpet the roof/sides of the shell after adding a few bit like these:

sizeimagephpphotoid151220.jpg

gunbox.jpg

hanger.jpg

Of course, once the truck gets painted so will the white fiberglass cap.

I also still have to add the defroster grid to the window and install the rear cam that looks down on the bumper/hitch.

Getting there.

Slowly.

But getting there......

Back