• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The "restification" of a 98 6.5 TD...

The donor:

0644c12d.jpg

The patient:

579ff56f.jpg

;)

View from my veranda looking out across my garden to the neighbors pasture past the driveway in the distance.
IMG_20120129_144306.jpg
Usually we have at least an ice storm by this time.

Yeesh! Finally finished reading this from start to finish..Think i started at like 10 pm last night! That truck has come a long way in the past couple years.

Yeesh! Finally finished reading this from start to finish..Think i started at like 10 pm last night! That truck has come a long way in the past couple years.
Glad to see I am not the only one that got sucked into reading the whole thing. :hihi:
Quite the adventure. I am going to have one soon on my truck.

You guys who read this whole thread start to finish are nuts......

Anyways, picked up a book today.

High performance Diesel builders guide by Joe Petit.

Got it for a good price and I like reading paper vice a computer screen.

Most of it is for modern DI diesels, but there's lots of good theory in it. Most of the theory is written by Dale Banks (knows his sh...).

There is a 6.5 section, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Overall, good read so far....

You guys who read this whole thread start to finish are nuts......

Anyways, picked up a book today.

High performance Diesel builders guide by Joe Petit.

Got it for a good price and I like reading paper vice a computer screen.

Most of it is for modern DI diesels, but there's lots of good theory in it. Most of the theory is written by Dale Banks (knows his sh...).

There is a 6.5 section, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Overall, good read so far....

Whats nuts is i read the first 34 pages on a cell phone!

So, carrying on with the book; the 6.5 section is worthless. Just a bit of background and that's it. Not even a full page.

However, the stuff from gale banks in the theory section is pure gold. Much like pretty much anything written by banks.

Some is stuff that is common knowledge, some not so much and everything is easily understood.

An excellent book for newbies, good for old farts too.

Worth the 20 bucks to just refresh your memory if nothing else.

This book has earned a spot on my reference shelf in the garage with all the other automotive tombs I've come to rely on.

Two thumbs up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that I'm getting more comfortable with Tunercat and reprogramming my truck, I'm beginning to look at hard parts again.

To say I've got a solid base is accurate. New optimizer is pretty good stuff.

I'm bouncing around ideas for induction and exhaust since I have no desire to crack open a fresh engine and start friggin' around.

I'm toying with sequential or twins. Exhaust will be dictated pretty much by that choice.

Sequential are a nice idea as I'll still be able to easily run an intercooler. Plus, there are other advantages over twins such as mass/volume for heat gained. packaging get s a bit complicated. Much more math involved in the selection of big and small too.

Twins will be nice for Bling" (not so important to me) and packaging. They also have advantages such as increasing the mass/volume per pressure over a single. Makes it hard to run an intercooler though.

Suffice to say, the exhaust manifolds and the intake right up to the gaskets sealing surfaces on the heads will hit the trash.

Opening the hood is probably going to result in a few WTF/WOW moments when it's done.

All I'll say about the "form" at this point is that I've been reading a lot of papers by Banks Engineering lately and it won't involve a peninsular intake.

Don't hold your breath though, still in the planning stages and it may change as I'm looking for peak torque numbers around 2000-2400 rpm and HP will fall where the math puts it.

I also need to buy a TIG or spool gun before all this thought turns in to metal anyways.....;)

Back