• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The "restification" of a 98 6.5 TD...

Just ordered up enhanced GM OBDII logging for my scanxl pro.

Wow, can that thing log a lot of parameters!

Charts, graphs and logs everthing from IP timing to transmission line pressures.

Heck, even airbag and ABS stuff!

I'm thinking I might log Lyndon's cal and then log BH's PCm to see where the differences lie....should be interesting.

There's also one heck of a lot of perfomance calculations in the program......I wonder what those might be good for?

:hihi:

Oh yeah baby, now this is a datalogger:

scanxl.jpg

Fully user definable tables for all supported PID's.

Has 868 pid's. That's damn near everything (if not all) of GM's enhanced and basic PID's.

That table I built might look familiar:

fuelboost.jpg

Yeehaa!

Lode up the datalogger, slam in whatever PCM I want, go for a rip down the road and then download all the filled in values!

Can't pull the calibration off a 16216588 PCM?

Maybe no one has figured out how to do it directly, but there is definitely a way around it!

:)

It will just take a while to build all the logging tables........yeesh.

Still, this is dealer level reading, if not better.....and I've only been playing with it for about an hour.

I can't wait to find out the full capabilities of this reader/logger/scantool.

Couple more days and that PCM is gonna be just a squealin' for mercy!

Niiiiice! Gotta love technology! Kinda wish it was this simple to tune my obd 1 ecm. My truck came with a spare one which is original to the truck, When it got the '95 engine it got the comp from that same truck.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalkn

Niiiiice! Gotta love technology! Kinda wish it was this simple to tune my obd 1 ecm. My truck came with a spare one which is original to the truck, When it got the '95 engine it got the comp from that same truck.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalkn

oh, I wouldn't call it easy.....or cheap....

OBD I can be done with open source programs. But you have to develop your own definition file to decipher the hex/bin.

Or maybe know someone who has built one (Hint, think: Western Canadian).

Then you're right back to needing the knowledge of what and how much to change in the calibration.

That's the real challenge.....

I see your name in blue in the future. I bet alot of pepole would be happy to pay a reasonable price for the service.

J
I see your name in blue in the future. I bet alot of pepole would be happy to pay a reasonable price for the service.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Leroy, but I don't ever intend to profit off my "hobby".

Profit means its a business and as such, holds no interest for me as its left the "hobby" arena at that point.

This is pretty much all for my own use, although I am working on a PCM for Louis. But that's just vin, glow time and trying to get it "unbricked".

Yes Louis, it's still fighting me but I'm getting there by pure force of will! Either it dies or I do! I've just about got it talking to me and once that's done I'll be able to force a program upload and see if it runs. Probably would have been simpler to lift the flash chip, drop a kernel on to a new one with my wilem, solder it back on, an then force the full program on to it. Ah well, no challenge in that....

I've also had his PCM a couple months now, but that was made clear up front I work on an as available basis and it's been damned cold here lately!

I also cleared that stuff with the forum administration a while ago before I started fixing others PCM's. I do it au gratis except for shipping cost.

No "tuning", just basic stuff.

Walking J or bill Heath can sell the boys a fully worked over PCM if they want one....for a price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ordered up enhanced GM OBDII logging for my scanxl pro.

Wow, can that thing log a lot of parameters!

Charts, graphs and logs everthing from IP timing to transmission line pressures.

Heck, even airbag and ABS stuff!

I'm thinking I might log Lyndon's cal and then log BH's PCm to see where the differences lie....should be interesting.

There's also one heck of a lot of perfomance calculations in the program......I wonder what those might be good for?

:hihi:

not flaming you or anything, because I don't know what you guys tuners allow you to do with the tunes you buy...but in the Dmax world you would be p!ssing off a lot of people that believe tunes are the proprietary property of the person that worked so hard to write them...and doing a lot of logging of someones tunes is ethically frowned upon in the Dmax community...not sure how the 6.5 community or their tuners feel about it, or even if it applies in this situation or not...

oh, I wouldn't call it easy.....or cheap....

OBD I can be done with open source programs. But you have to develop your own definition file to decipher the hex/bin.

Or maybe know someone who has built one (Hint, think: Western Canadian).

Then you're right back to needing the knowledge of what and how much to change in the calibration.

That's the real challenge.....

Western Canada....not sure who to even guess on this one lol. Im guessing you are refering to the Lyndon you mentioned eariler?

not flaming you or anything, because I don't know what you guys tuners allow you to do with the tunes you buy...but in the Dmax world you would be p!ssing off a lot of people that believe tunes are the proprietary property of the person that worked so hard to write them...and doing a lot of logging of someones tunes is ethically frowned upon in the Dmax community...not sure how the 6.5 community or their tuners feel about it, or even if it applies in this situation or not...

Well, Lyndon gave me his cal file (no charge) to load, review and tweak. So no issue there.

I'm not a "tuner" so even if I run a log file on Bill's PCM it's not going anywhere besides my own toughbook. Absolutely no redistribution in any way shape or form. Not now, not ever.

Like I said; I'm not a "tuner" and don't "tune" others PCM's for them. Any knowledge I might gain of their specific procedures from a log file stays proprietary. I can say this because I wouldn't be looking to employ any knowledge of their practices other than my own personal education and/or use.

Ethically I'm comfortable with it.

Western Canada....not sure who to even guess on this one lol. Im guessing you are refering to the Lyndon you mentioned eariler?

yes, westers garage. Google.

;)

Heh I know who you are talking about now, Just didnt realize he did anything with our trucks, I have seen him mentioned on Gmt400 on a couple of the boosted gas trucks on there.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

Lyndon is the original source of most of the programming stuff out there.

You're be surprised who is using his stuff....

Lyndon is the original source of most of the programming stuff out there.

You're be surprised who is using his stuff....

Hmmmm wonder if I could have him do a tune for my truck then after I finish with the other mods (electronic boost control and exhaust)

Hmmmm wonder if I could have him do a tune for my truck then after I finish with the other mods (electronic boost control and exhaust)

I'm sure he would, for a price.

Take a drive down to Tilley Ab and he'll tune it on the dyno:

WESTER'S GARAGE

218 Centre Street / PO Box 159

Tilley, Alberta

T0J 3K0

Can't get much better than dialing it in on the dyno.

But again, it's probably not going to be that cheap.

What do you mean "electronic boost control"?

Boost fooler or something else?

I'm sure he would, for a price.

Take a drive down to Tilley Ab and he'll tune it on the dyno:

WESTER'S GARAGE

218 Centre Street / PO Box 159

Tilley, Alberta

T0J 3K0

Can't get much better than dialing it in on the dyno.

But again, it's probably not going to be that cheap.

What do you mean "electronic boost control"?

Boost fooler or something else?

I meant a Kennedy Diesel TD Max boost controller

from kennedy diesel

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh I see..which would I be better off with? That or just going straight for a turbomaster?

A boost fooler is an older trick some of the guys used to use.

Most have gone to a turbo master (enables removal of the vac system among other things) or a non wastegated jobbie like the ATT.

Not that a boost fooler doesn't work, but it has some limitations....like turn it up too much and the PCM will code for wastegate fault, overboost, etc....

All it really does is change the resistance value that the PCM sees from the 2 bar sensor.

I think I've settled on a direction for the engine when I get time to do a bit of more serious fab work.

Parallel turbo. There's a lot of work out there that supports the scheme.

I'll be using GM8's for my own reasons. They're much maligned units on the board so I'm not willing to entertain discussion of the choice. Too hot of a topic. I have my reasons. 'Nuff said.

They'll be running Bill's turbo master control. It would be too difficult to make the vacuum wastegate system control two independent wastegates and have them equal at all times. One turbo for each side of the engine, exhaust manifold will be very short for improved transient response (this is a driver, not a drag or speed queen).

Air to air charge air cooler, mounted in between the evap core and the rad. A little modification will sort that out. It's already in progress anyways.....

Water injection will stay, but I've got an alternative use for the system as opposed to pumping it into the cylinders.

Common plenum, but arranged in a "ram style". Think along the lines of a TPI manifold or a Banks "Boss Hoss" intake manifold for the Duramax. Heck, altered parts of a TPI setup just might show up since I have a couple units languishing in the garage on hooks and a couple more incomplete setups in boxes. Have to wait and see how the prototypes deal with flow and reversion....

Intake tract is going to be something custom, but will involve ducting air from the high pressure area at the front of the truck to the filter box. I've looked at Banks "Ram Air Scoops" and it will probably be a variation on that theme, yet won't poke out under the bumper. It will involve cutting and fabricating. Filter box is as of yet undetermined. Considering everything from staying with the stock K47 to a few other modified stocker units. May go with two independent boxes to feed each turbocharger. Dunno yet, packaging will be one of the deciding factors....

Truck already has cooling up grades and is a new (10,000 kms) GEP optimizer 6500 so minimal worries there. I wish I'd gotten the P400 when the 599 crapped out, but c'est la vie.......

Have some plans for the cooling fan and better air management, but that's about it.

PCM will be my own calibration. I'm at the point where I'm comfortable altering fueling and timing as well as the transmission parameters. Haven't given up on real time programming yet, but it's a very distant possibility now. Probably won't happen if I was to guess....

I'm comfortable with the raptor and fuel feed, the DS4 and the stock injectors for now. We'll see how it goes as it all evolves.

Staying with the 4L80E. Will be looking at a better converter with a stouter lockup clutch. Have a possible line on a calibration that will enable a "tow/haul" mode or maybe a tap shift. Unfortunately, not my work so it may never come to pass. There's a couple talented programmers working on it so it's a "wait and see" thing....

Remainder of the truck will essentially be stock. Maybe a few bumper changes, aux lights and other bits and bobs for comfort and practical uses.

It will still be a daily driver and a weekend tow rig so all of this is going to be fairly conservative despite how it "alternative" sounds to a typical 6.5 TD.

Goals?

Not gonna make a guess. I get what I get so no disappointments. If it comes out at near stock power levels I'll be a bit disappointed after the work, but I'll still be OK with it. If it comes out nearer 250 hp and 500 Tq at 2500, even better (that's SHP I'm talking, not WHP). There's also a MPG target in mind, but ultimately I'll see what i get....

This is a long term project. IE: multiple years.

I have some financial things to sort out (couple years there) before I even start serious work.

I also don't plan to "hack it together", not even the mule pieces. Fit and finish is important to me, so that is going to mean a lot of time spent there also. For example: whittling out one exhaust manifold flange will probably take a couple weeks to a month, minimum. Hand cut and fitted.

First step is to source a toasted 6.5 as a mule for mock up. It would be nice if they made it in those plastic blocks.

Then, I have to replace my spool gun and start gathering up some stock......

Rounded up the last item to do the Dash cluster led retrofit.

12V LED PWM dimmer.

The stock dash dimmer won't do LED's since it only controls voltage.

This will allow me to break out the LED circuits from the stock dimmer and adjust the brightness independently.

Especially important with blue light.

Yes, it's going blue to match my Auber gauges and the Cobra 29. Yes, I know blue light is hash on night vision. I do fly using night vision goggles after all, I'm pretty familiar with light discipline and effects.

Hence; the PWM dimmer for the leds......

Rounded up the last item to do the Dash cluster led retrofit.

12V LED PWM dimmer.

The stock dash dimmer won't do LED's since it only controls voltage.

This will allow me to break out the LED circuits from the stock dimmer and adjust the brightness independently.

Especially important with blue light.

Yes, it's going blue to match my Auber gauges and the Cobra 29. Yes, I know blue light is hash on night vision. I do fly using night vision goggles after all, I'm pretty familiar with light discipline and effects.

Hence; the PWM dimmer for the leds......

Now you def have my attention since i am buying an LED retrofit kit for my truck on friday!

Back