• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Resetting injector pop pressure

The spec sheet I have lists:
All 6.2 and 6.5 n/a 126 bar[1852.2psi]
6.5 td 142 bar[2087.4 psi]
6.5 marine 150 bar[2195.0 psi]
1 bar = 14.7 psi

1 bar = about 14.5psi
1 atmosphere = about 14.7psi

142 bar = 2060 psi
150 bar = 2175 psi

If their tolerance is 75psi up or down to get a range of 2100-2250 psi I wouldnt use that shop or specify a tolerance like 25psi up and down.

Some members have set their pop to 2250 psi on standard nozzle and my marine nozzles are set to 2350 psi pop, and may install this weekend.

2700-2800 psi would be too high and start to strain the injection pump at idle. It could do it, since the IP can produce about 4000psi at idle rpm before it cant turn over anymore.

142 bar = 2060 psi
150 bar = 2175 psi

If their tolerance is 75psi up or down to get a range of 2100-2250 psi I wouldnt use that shop or specify a tolerance like 25psi up and down.

My shop was just quoting the factory spec. They don't even offer remans due to their shop labor rate of $120/hr. I'm sure they'd be happy to reset and balance to as tight a spec as I'd like... for a price. (ie: way more than I'd like to spend.)

Thanks for the details on the Marine pop pressure. Much less difference between the 6.5TD and marine injectors than I thought.

Man some of those shop prices are WAY to high,, my shop rest mine for $48 bucks,, and I got to stand there and watch,, took him 45 mins. You could priority ship them to these guys,, get them set to YOUR spec, and shipped them back!! Gulfyankee did just that.

Diesel Equipment Sales and Service.
578 e Main Potterville, Mi 48876
517 645-7684

A small box shipping is just 8.95, call them and set it up if you need this service, they are great, and my truck is running better! They sell install kits too for a good price.

Dave, how you like that pop pressure, is idle any different these days with the 2250psi pop? Just need to have a nice 15psi lift pump and FTB to keep the fuel supply to the IP and those injectors.

Dave, how you like that pop pressure, is idle any different these days with the 2250psi pop? Just need to have a nice 15psi lift pump and FTB to keep the fuel supply to the IP and those injectors.
I got the Wife's 95 set at 2200,93 stock LP,never see below 2 psi fuel press at the IP inlet WOT, over 50.000 km on the hi pop squirts.
I find the engine has more snap to it,Seems to fire up a little quiker too

It's running great,, and with that whopping 5x8 trailer with a walk behind mower, load I'm hauling,,, plus my grandpa style of driving,, I couldn't be more happy.
Of course I romp on it unloaded now and again, and I must say it run's like a scalded cat!
Idles good, no complaints.

I got the Feed the Beast mod, fittings sitting in the glove box,,, ain't had time to install them,, but the more I think about my non towing ways,, the less I see my self putting it in any time soon.

i have a pop tester anddo my injectors and can do yours if anyone wants to send them to me. I am tyring a set up now, Herzog 40+ at 2300. i will let you know

I have no personal experience with the "Herzog" injectors but word is that they are very poor quality materials at best. I wouldn't risk a engine on a set of off brand injectors. Claims of increased horsepower simply by replacing the injectors aren't backed by dyno proof. The ECM determines the amount of fuel that is injected not the injector. Stock injectors are said to be able to support 400 hp with the right programing. At 400 hp with our engines ,that means parts on the pavement. Just my $.02.

I have to revise the previous statement. Today I was trying to rebuild a set of injectors. 4 of the 8 were the ebay cheapies That only have a "097" on the side. They wouldn't even come apart. I pounded on the nozzle with a hammer and punch and it wouldn't move. All four got thrown away. The bosch injectors fall apart when you take the top off. The pintle was also stuck in them. Obviously very poor materials used in these. No proof but somthing tells me these were the reason the engine they were in blew up.

Maybe thats what happens with poor nozzles, high boost and high cylinder pressures with low injector pop pressures, or even using ether and crap to get it started.

Maybe thats what happens with poor nozzles, high boost and high cylinder pressures with low injector pop pressures, or even using ether and crap to get it started.

And poor quality material,poor machining and poor heat treating. I guess there is a reason the manufacture name isn't on them.

Makes me more skeptical about those AC Delco Bosch / India squirts I asked you about......:(

I would think those would be better than the cheap crappy ones from ebay. There is a seller that is selling chineese injectors on ebay for $150 /set. He claims he tests pop pressure. No warranty. A seller from Georgia and several others sell the "097" injectors like i threw in the scrap barrel.

I would think those would be better than the cheap crappy ones from ebay. There is a seller that is selling chineese injectors on ebay for $150 /set. He claims he tests pop pressure. No warranty. A seller from Georgia and several others sell the "097" injectors like i threw in the scrap barrel.

Do these pics and numbers help as to what they are and if "we" can change to Bosch nozzels?

Attachments

• injector1.jpg
    injector1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 4
  • injector3.jpg
    injector3.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 4
  • injector6.jpg
    injector6.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 3
  • injector2.jpg
    injector2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 3
  • injector5.jpg
    injector5.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 4
I would think the could be changed out to Bosch-Germany nozzles. Nice pics. The ones I scrapped only said "097" and nothing else. That could be the engineering spec number.

To those who have their injectors balanced an set above 2100psi.... does your engine have a nice Sharp kackle to it or is it more smoother sounding?

New or rebuilt injectors have a louder ticking sound untill they get a few miles on them. The clatter is more dependent on how the timing is set. Timing and tdco at factory spec is pretty quiet. When you advance the tdco to -1.5 or higher it is almost scary loud knocking/rattling at cold start up. With a mechanical injection pump advanced slightly you get the same noise. New or rebuilt injectors usually increases the responsiveness. With a healthy engine that has close to even compression on all cylinders, balanced injectors should make it run smoother.

Back