• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

Nice! I like that. I guess I didn't know such a thing was available. I have to keep a tarp on ours, even though it sits inside, to keep the bat crap and all the debris from the starlings off. Looks like a nice fit, too, so you'll be able to fend off the wind if it kicks up.

I wish I could keep mine inside. :thumbsup:

Got the truck camper cover today. I already put it on. It fit nicely! :thumbsup:
IMG_1083.jpg
IMG_1084.jpg
IMG_1085.jpg

I plan on getting some work done on it this weekend.

There is a chance of rain on Saturday. :mad2:

Got to knock out some honey do list first. :rolleyes5:

How difficult to put it on? Looks like a 2 man (at least) job.

I put it on by myself. Help would have made it happen faster.

The wind was fighting me the entire time. But I did finally beat it and got it on.

It took me about 15 - 20 minutes to get it on. If the ladder was more tied down it would have been faster.

The back of the cover opens to get access to the back door.
IMG_1086.jpg
I removed the reflector. There is a bolt that is suppose to assist in holding up the rear bumper.
I have a deep feeling that this is not factory and done by the PO. This was the same on the other side.
IMG_1087.jpg
This green metal plate is honestly what is holding up the rear bumper. It was also added by the PO.
There was one on the other side also.
IMG_1088.jpg
The storm we are suppose to get today started to roll in. The wind picked up significantly.
The cover seems to be holding up well against it.
IMG_1089.jpg
The old car jack is holding up the black water tank. The floor jacks are holding up the rear bumper.
IMG_1090.jpg
I am attempting to get the rear bumper off so I can access the damage for the rear lower board.
I stated before about someone else doing work on this. I will show pictures of this thinking hopefully this weekend.
Once the storm passes I will get back to work. It ius suppose to be short and quick.

Good old Texas weather. It looks like it is going to rain but, just goes all around you.
Here is the sign that just makes me cringe every time I see it.
This is on the street side back corner.
IMG_1091.jpg
Here is the underside below the generator. The wood is soft, I think I will try the stuff Ferm recommended.
IMG_1092.jpg
You can see in the picture above the extra layer of the white siding stuff.
IMG_1093.jpg
Here is some more rot on the street side lower skirt.
IMG_1094.jpg
I might have a lot more wood to replace that I originally wanted to.

The rot on this thing is extensive. :mad2:

It's a nasty job but, someone has to do it.
IMG_1095.jpg
The toilet is out. removed the flange and the black tank is on the ground. I then just had to cut the vent line.
IMG_1097.jpg
I then removed two last bolts I could not see because of the black tank.
The bumper is now only sitting on the three jack stands.
IMG_1098.jpg
IMG_1099.jpg
I now need to clean out the black tank and toilet. Then find someplace to store them, out of the way.
IMG_1100.jpg
Let the fun begin. :rolleyes5:

I guess the rear bumper did not want to stay put on top of the jack stands.
On the ground it stays.
IMG_1101.jpg
The wing on the street side is in ruff shape. So far I do not think it goes as high or as bad as the curb side.
IMG_1102.jpg
IMG_1103.jpg
I got the first spray down done on the toilet and black tank.

Glad you started this rehab job?

Sent from my SCH-I535

I was thinking of it more like my new soon to be X-wife. She is currently sucking me dry. Prepping me for the soon to come divorce.

I am having fun working on it. Including the tools and cover I have spent less than $400 on it so far.(guessing at that figure)
It might be less, by some. I have not been tracking the money on this that well.

This thing must have set in a bottom of a lake for a couple of years. :shrug:

Here is all of the screws, staples, and other metal I have so far pulled out of this rebuild.
IMG_1104.jpg
I got the metal siding that only runs under the door off. It had nothing but rot under and around it.
The one board that was attached had no support.
IMG_1105.jpg
IMG_1106.jpg
Here is the siding that runs across the back on the street side of the back door, off.
It also had lots of rot.
IMG_1107.jpg
Here it were it once sat. You can kind-of tell were the wood is suppose to be.
IMG_1108.jpg
These last two pictures are to help me get the bumper back on sometime soon.
IMG_1109.jpg
IMG_1110.jpg
I am amazed the bumper did not fall off. Nothing was really holding it up to the camper.
Every bolt I have removed was very lose. Almost to the point of falling out when I touch it.
I think it is crazy that a metal bumper is held on to a wood camper. :dunno:

I will not be doing too much more on the camper. Need to clean up my garage.
I can not leave the toilet out front. Somebody might try to use it. :eek:

These are the three screws I removed that went into the back going forward. The wood board they were installed to hold in was completely rotted out. I have never seen screws in this bad of shape. They came out with mu hand, pulling outward with zero twisting.
IMG_1111.jpg
These other three pictures is what it looks like under the board someone else installed.
IMG_1112.jpg
IMG_1113.jpg
IMG_1114.jpg
I still feel someone else has been in here. This thing is not even 20 years old and had to be rebuilt twice.
This will be my last wood camper. It just amazes me in the rough condition this thing is in.
I will replace what I can across the back.

I plan on replacing what I can with treated wood and galvanized flashing.

It almost looks like a little termite damage there Marty. Just think of all the enjoyment you will get next season when you are done! ;) It will all be worth it.

It almost looks like a little termite damage there Marty. Just think of all the enjoyment you will get next season when you are done! ;) It will all be worth it.

True, I do not think it is termite. I "think" and could be wrong it is water damage.

wait

could wood ants cause this kind of damage?

When I first got the camper I found them all the time. Once I started cleaning and using it they slowly disappeared.

I still feel it is water damage. I highly doubt a ant our termite could rust a screw like the ones in the picture.

Carpenter ants leave tunnels and you would see those in the wood you're pulling. I'd guess you primarily have water infiltration damage.

Sent from my SCH-I535

It could be a combination of both. Ants like wood that is moist and can damage wood like that also. Carpenter ants.

What ever it is, they did an awesome job of messing things up. :thumbsup:

Those carpenter ants and termites will have a heck of a time munching on the treated wood. :hihi:

Back