• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

I would say somebody has definitely been into that one before as you can see some of that wood is still pretty good while boards right next to it are rotten. Wood doesn't normally do that, so I would say somebody patched her up before.

I would say somebody has definitely been into that one before as you can see some of that wood is still pretty good while boards right next to it are rotten. Wood doesn't normally do that, so I would say somebody patched her up before.

:iagree:

The PO did a crappy job at fixing it also. Now I know why the PO replaced the floor(crappy job also).

I am slowly ripping all the old stuff out, more pictures soon.

I keep digging and I keep finding more rot.
Below the shower
IMG_1126.jpg
in front of the toilet
IMG_1127.jpg
I need to stop removing and digging and get the wood in across the back.
Without that wood I can not go inside the camper. The floor bows to much when I put my weight on it.

It just keeps getting better. :thumbsup:

I removed the siding that runs all down the bottom of the curb side. It was trying to run threw my new cover so it had to come off.
IMG_1129.jpg
I removed the tail light from the street/drivers side. Good news no rot around it. :eek:
IMG_1128.jpg
I then removed the door latch.
IMG_1130.jpg
I also removed the outer trim to the siding.
IMG_1131.jpg
I know have the next siding removed.
IMG_1132.jpg
If you look the rot stops low on this side. More good news! :eek:
IMG_1133.jpg
I am seriously thinking about ripping out all the wood the PO added. Start over from scratch.
It is all pieced in there and looks like crap from the bottom.

Still a lot to do! :thumbsup:

Good thing you don't live up north or you'd run out of weather long before you were done...:D If you are repairing an area that the PO did a half assed job on then you're far better off starting from scratch.

Good thing you don't live up north or you'd run out of weather long before you were done...:D If you are repairing an area that the PO did a half assed job on then you're far better off starting from scratch.

I agree, I will take some pictures of the carnage today if the rain stays away.

Here is my concern of the floor issue. The floor was installed with two separate boards.
Here is the crack toward the back in between them.
IMG_1135.jpg
Here is were the smaller board starts. The left of the picture is were the boards meet up(in the picture above).
IMG_1136.jpg
The next picture is were the installed board meets up with the rot. There was wood there before I pulled it out.
IMG_1137.jpg
I was pulling out the Styrofoam for the support boards to be installed. That was when I found the rotted out floor.
I understand why he split the new floor boards. The bathroom wall is directly above the split.
This would explain why the toilet was not mounted correctly. The lid would never sat up without being held.
I plan on ripping all of this out and starting over.

I will say this is worst than I thought it was ever going to be.

My nice new cover is know officially broke in. It has its first hole, I am sure more are to follow.
IMG_1138.jpg
Removed some of the tile. Seems I found the end to the rot.(I hope!)
IMG_1139.jpg
Here is the hole I made. It can also be seen in the picture above.
IMG_1140.jpg
Here is the bathroom floor with most of the tile removed. As I wrongly stated above, it is three boards.
IMG_1141.jpg
Here is a close up for the third board.
IMG_1142.jpg
I got the two bathroom boards removed. Now I just got to figure out how to get the big hallway board out.
IMG_1143.jpg

Another step closer to getting it done! :thumbsup:

wow I'm glad that's your project and not mine.

was thinking the same thing. While there are so many times I look at this thread and think I'd have probably sold it off before getting into all this work, I'm also encouraged that all this work is getting done and it's going to make him a really nice camper when he's finished. he won't have to worry about all this happening again. My hope is that the roof is solid.

was thinking the same thing. While there are so many times I look at this thread and think I'd have probably sold it off before getting into all this work, I'm also encouraged that all this work is getting done and it's going to make him a really nice camper when he's finished. he won't have to worry about all this happening again. My hope is that the roof is solid.

The roof feels solid, it has a solid sheet of metal going all the way across it.

The main problem with me getting rid of it is I would be lucky to get $1,000 for it. I have more than that into it.
I do not feel like throwing it all away.

I am frustrated but, have to get it done.

Got the large board out.
IMG_1144.jpg
IMG_1145.jpg
IMG_1146.jpg
Got all the boards out except two in the back right corner in the picture.
IMG_1147.jpg
Just got to figure out how to get these two boards out.
IMG_1148.jpg
Then I will trim out some of the bad wood and figure out how to get some good wood in there.

I like trying to plan things out. But, I have no clue how I am going to get the new floor wood in.
I would like to do it in one piece.

I got a little more of the floor ripped out. I also broke one of the rearward beams. It broke in a good spot, easy place to fix.
IMG_1151.jpg
IMG_1152.jpg
IMG_1153.jpg
Still have more trimming and cutting to do. The saw I am using runs on batteries. They run down faster than they charge.

Getting closer to something! :thumbsup:
Not sure what yet.

Boy I'd be looking to improve on the strength in that area.

It is missing(they rotted out) two boards that went across the back. I plan on adding more wood beams going front to back.

This thing was and still is in rough shape.

Back