• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

if you make a new thread, post the link back in here, so the two can be tied together. That will make it convenient for the person searching out what to do in the future.

Got the beam installed that runs across the back. There is one more that runs in front of it.
IMG_1177.jpg
Figured I would post something.

I got two boards installed that run front to back.
IMG_1181.jpg
I need to get the outer board installed to support the outer floor. It really has no support
at the very end near the door.

It starting to look better.

Last time I worked on this was November. Since then, my computer crashed. I lost everything including all my pictures of this build. I am thankful I posted everything on here with such detail. I would be lost without it.

I installed more floor supports. I still need to screw some of these down from the top.
IMG_1185.jpg
I also installed another board front to back. I still need to add more screws. The battery dies on the drill and I did not feel like dragging out the corded one.
IMG_1186.jpg
I want to add the rest of the front and back boards before I add the one that runs across the back. I will be working on this a lot more the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I can get a lot done as long as the weather cooperates.

Over the last two or three days I have done more work to the camper.
I installed the rest of the boards that run front to back.
If you look, every old board is sandwiched between new wood.
IMG_1192.jpg
I then added cross boards and some extra support. This floor should be stronger than before.
The one open space is were the toilet come through the floor. I will support it better one I get the toilet installed.
IMG_1193.jpg
I just need to install the pink foam insulation. I pealed back the cover and pulled off the door, again! :rolleyes5:
IMG_1194.jpg
This is preparation to get the outer lower left to right wood installed. I put two boards on either side of the door.
IMG_1195.jpg
Here is a better close up of the one on the left of the door.
IMG_1196.jpg
I put these two boards here to assist me in holding up the main board running across the back.
It will be important to fully support this wood beam. It is what the rear bumper connects too.

Just read most of the thread and WOW! Thats alot of work. Looks like your getting all the rot knocked out.
You saw my post that Im looking for a slide in pop up camper, I've been looking pretty hard since then. If I buy a used one I'll be sure to inspect it very well for rot.
Im also thinking of building my own out of aluminium, fiberglass and plastic. If I do I'll be sure to post.

Interesting build you have going, I'm tuned in now.

Just read most of the thread and WOW! Thats alot of work. Looks like your getting all the rot knocked out.
You saw my post that Im looking for a slide in pop up camper, I've been looking pretty hard since then. If I buy a used one I'll be sure to inspect it very well for rot.
Im also thinking of building my own out of aluminium, fiberglass and plastic. If I do I'll be sure to post.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

If you build your own, I will want to see. That sounds like fun.

Places to look for rot. Around all lights, inside and out. Inside shows bubbles so does outside fiberglass that uses a wood backing. If you find one and need help checking it out I could assist if needed.

is that open underneath?,if so i wish you at least coated the wood with fiberglass resin[brushed on],that work is so great ,id hate to see it get wet

is that open underneath?,if so i wish you at least coated the wood with fiberglass resin[brushed on],that work is so great ,id hate to see it get wet

The bottom is still open, I am not done. I will seal the wood and install metal flashing on. The tanks will cover up the area also.

The resin is a good idea. Will have to price it.

You just have to be concerned with excess weight now Marty. You have done a great job with this rebuild! :thumbsup:

Thanks! :thumbsup: I have no clue what the weight of this was before. I am sure it is much heavier, now.

I did more work today. I feel I got a lot done. I added wood in between all the wall studs. I am trying to strengthen them up. They have the weight of the bumper pulling on them. I might add some galvanized "L" brackets also.
IMG_1197.jpg
I then attached the lower left to right wood beam across the bottom.
IMG_1198.jpg
Here is a close up.
IMG_1199.jpg
I still need to seal up all the new wood I have added to the camper. Either I will use my wood sealer or I might try fiberglass resin.

I am not done with the underside. At the moment I am just trying to get the floor supported. It is now, supported. :hihi:

I really like the idea of a pop-up too. I've looked at several but they were all needing too much work for the asking price. I'll probably end up going with an Alaskan. No one with a cabover seems to want to sell theirs so I'll probably end up with a new one. Their factory is about 1/2 mile from me and they'll build it to order. In the meantime, my old Six-Pac that I basically did the same type of stuff as Marty is doing will have to do. I like doing this stuff and every time I read Marty's updates I get antsy to do another.

I really like the idea of a pop-up too. I've looked at several but they were all needing too much work for the asking price. I'll probably end up going with an Alaskan. No one with a cabover seems to want to sell theirs so I'll probably end up with a new one. Their factory is about 1/2 mile from me and they'll build it to order. In the meantime, my old Six-Pac that I basically did the same type of stuff as Marty is doing will have to do. I like doing this stuff and every time I read Marty's updates I get antsy to do another.

I know that feeling.

If I were to build one its post like these that help the mental gears turn and plan the build.

I have been contemplating what to do next. I still have the right side under the fridge and propane tanks needing to be done. Since I was already back here I decided to go ahead and attack under the shower. Here is the start with the small door taken off.
IMG_1200.jpg
Here I took the lowest panel off. The rot was not as bad as the other side.
IMG_1201.jpg
The rot does not go very high on this side. This will be all the panels I remove on this side.
Do y'all notice what is missing? There is no insulation on this wall behind the shower.
IMG_1202.jpg
Here is the back corner. Once I get more liquid nails I will start to install the new outer beam. It had very little damage.
IMG_1203.jpg
I am almost done on the inside. Just a little more trimming of the old wood and it will be ready for the new wood.
IMG_1204.jpg
I am still figuring out in my head how far in I want to go. Here is the area.
IMG_1205.jpg
I think I will go back past all the outer rot. I prefer to leave none behind. Too me it is a cancer that just spreads.
I also got the door and frame cleaned up and put back in. It is only being held in with 4 screws. I will have to yank it out again when I start to install the lower panels. They wrap around the lowest wood beam.

I am probably done for the day work wise. :agreed:

I got all the rot under the floor out that I wanted out.
IMG_1206.jpg
IMG_1207.jpg
I need to start getting the floor and support beams installed. I am out of wood glue, liquid nails, wood sealer, and more wood.
Once I get all this part installed I will replace the rotted wood on the front of the wing.
The rotted wood in post above(238) in picture 2 and 3.

I got a little done this morning. Under shower floor and beams installed. Just need to do some final adjustments.
The trailer ball is good for more than pulling a trailer. The clamp is assisting in holding down the plywood.
IMG_1212.jpg
Here is the underside.
IMG_1213.jpg
Here it is from another angle.
IMG_1214.jpg
Got to get back to work. It will not finish itself. :skep:

Back